Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Mrfoto's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Danville VA
Posts: 236
Refrig upgrade?

Looking at new mh and it comes with 8 cu ft electric/propane refrigerator, which I am used to currently. Offered as a option is 12 cu ft all electric refrig for $2,000+ more. Pros/cons and why ?
__________________

__________________
Paul & Carol plus 2 Bichons
2015 Winnebago Sightseer 35G, Blue Ox Tiger TracBar, 5 Star tune, Safe-t-plus steering
2008 HHR Toad & Working hard at retirement
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 18,073
The residential type electric is basically the same as what you have at home. Probably self-defrosting, compressor driven, forced air circulation, etc. A far superior fridge all around. The possible downside involves camping off-grid (boondocking). You need inverter and batteries sufficient to keep it running. Doesn't take a lot of battery power for a day of driving between campsites, but if you want to spend several days without shore power you need enough batteries to keep you going between generator runs to recharge.

If you don't spend a lot of time off-grid, I think the electric fridge is a wise choice.
__________________

__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
wa8yxm's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,799
More room for food is the pro... Need for 120vac is the CON

Some folks are scared of propane. so for them "All Electric" Is a pro as well.
__________________
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,484
You did not state the make of MH. There should be next to zero extra charge for the house fridge as they are cheaper than a gas fridge. Many mfrs. have the house fridge as standard or a no charge option.
__________________
Moisheh
2008 Dynasty 42' Diamond IV
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
SKP Kirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Part-time out of Bass Lake Retirement Community
Posts: 305
The amount extra is a debatable question, but were I to buy it I would want the all electric model. Should ours ever fail, that is what I'll replace with since we do very little dry camping and almost none without electric.

The extra cost is not just a different refrigerator in all probability. It very likely includes an inverter, or possibly a second or larger inverter, may well add a battery or two and there will be some cabinetry modifications required since the ventilation requirements for the two types are very different.
__________________
Good Travelin! Kirk
Full-time 11 years, now part-time.
Kirk & Pam's Great Adventure!
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
terry735001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,158
Blog Entries: 11
humm for me i would not go with the all electric model.
most pull 11 to 12 amps and if your stuck on 30amp power at a camp ground this cuts in to power loads for hot water or AC fro cooling

you all ready know the new stock RV units only pull 3 amps of AC power

all so you well find some posts saying the all electric model. has a higher % of fires
if looking at numbers

all so running a all electric model on a inverter to go from one place to the next is all most 30 amps DC and more on a MD inverter so camping off grid is even harder

all electric models look cooler and if you have kids in and out of them a lot and don't move the RV there the way to go

if the RV is used for real camping the old stock unit is the way to go .. but thats just me and how i feel about
__________________
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
I put up with almost 9 years of cooling problems with a Norcold aka NotSoCold RV type LPG/Electric fridge that was 12 cu/ft. in size.

I now have an 18 cu/ft. Samsung residential fridge and it has improved our Full-Time RV lifestyle 1000%.

YES...YES...YES, install the all-electric fridge but for $2000 make sure that you are getting extra batteries, a larger Pure Sine Wave Inverter or possibly a smaller PSW Inverter dedicated solely for the fridge. Make sure the Inverter has a auto-transfer switch so it will switch over to 120 VAC automatically when plugged into shore power.

You will enjoy the extra space, really cold food and beverages and frozen ice cubes and ice cream.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:37 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Ramets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 2,364
$2,000?? That better be some kind of a refrigerator.
__________________
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
Looking at new mh and it comes with 8 cu ft electric/propane refrigerator, which I am used to currently. Offered as a option is 12 cu ft all electric refrig for $2,000+ more. Pros/cons and why ?
For the $2000 are you getting an "all electric motorhome" or a "residential refrigerator only" ? ... big difference ...
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Mrfoto's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Danville VA
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
You did not state the make of MH. There should be next to zero extra charge for the house fridge as they are cheaper than a gas fridge. Many mfrs. have the house fridge as standard or a no charge option.
Sorry, the mh is a new Jayco Precept A class. Someone else pm'ed me and said his Precept was a 12 cu nor cold propane/electric. So much for the knowledgeable salesperson!
__________________
Paul & Carol plus 2 Bichons
2015 Winnebago Sightseer 35G, Blue Ox Tiger TracBar, 5 Star tune, Safe-t-plus steering
2008 HHR Toad & Working hard at retirement
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
Sorry, the mh is a new Jayco Precept A class. Someone else pm'ed me and said his Precept was a 12 cu nor cold propane/electric. So much for the knowledgeable salesperson!
the 12cf appears to be an optional size ...
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post

Sorry, the mh is a new Jayco Precept A class. Someone else pm'ed me and said his Precept was a 12 cu nor cold propane/electric.

So much for the knowledgeable salesperson!
The only knowledge that a salesperson possess is how to sign a contract and sometimes that have to take a 40 hour course just to learn that. Don't expect them to know anything else.

So the question still remains; What fridge does it come with standard? What fridge are they offering as the option?

All you have mentioned so far is an 8 cu/ft. versus a 12 cu/ft. fridge.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
humm for me i would not go with the all electric model.
most pull 11 to 12 amps and if your stuck on 30amp power at a camp ground this cuts in to power loads for hot water or AC fro cooling

you all ready know the new stock RV units only pull 3 amps of AC power

all so you well find some posts saying the all electric model. has a higher % of fires
if looking at numbers

all so running a all electric model on a inverter to go from one place to the next is all most 30 amps DC and more on a MD inverter so camping off grid is even harder

all electric models look cooler and if you have kids in and out of them a lot and don't move the RV there the way to go

if the RV is used for real camping the old stock unit is the way to go .. but thats just me and how i feel about

Hmm. There might be a math or conversion anomaly here. A residential electric will pull about 1 amp at 120 volts or about 1/4 of what an RV propane electric will pull and that's only when it's running which is about 1/3 of the time. In terms of 12 volts DC that is about 11 or 12 amps off the battery via the inverter. If you are a dry camper add about 400 watts of solar to the roof and it pretty much neutralizes the power usage. I can't think of a single drawback to a residential fridge in an RV. As far as the 2000 price that may include the larger size inverter and a couple of extra batteries. Still. Can't even imagine going back to a propane electric unit. They are power hogs when on electric.
__________________
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Hmm. There might be a math or conversion anomaly here. A residential electric will pull about 1 amp at 120 volts or about 1/4 of what an RV propane electric will pull and that's only when it's running which is about 1/3 of the time. In terms of 12 volts DC that is about 11 or 12 amps off the battery via the inverter. If you are a dry camper add about 400 watts of solar to the roof and it pretty much neutralizes the power usage. I can't think of a single drawback to a residential fridge in an RV. As far as the 2000 price that may include the larger size inverter and a couple of extra batteries. Still. Can't even imagine going back to a propane electric unit. They are power hogs when on electric.
Pretty much ... my Energy Star refer draws 1.6a on 120vac running and 6a at startup. That's typical.
__________________

__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
upgrade



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fan-Tastic Fan upgrade ....NOT jerichorick Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 8 03-02-2015 12:14 PM
Just upgrade my 18" fluorescents to LED! bcbounders iRV2.com General Discussion 20 08-11-2014 10:50 PM
Electric Upgrade Opinions dempen Forest River Owners Forum 2 04-23-2014 02:09 PM
KVH R-5 upgrade Jeep trekker Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 7 02-23-2014 09:53 AM
Server Upgrade tonight (saturday) Janet H Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns 1 01-04-2014 12:41 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.