Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Refrig upgrade?

Looking at new mh and it comes with 8 cu ft electric/propane refrigerator, which I am used to currently. Offered as a option is 12 cu ft all electric refrig for $2,000+ more. Pros/cons and why ?

Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The residential type electric is basically the same as what you have at home. Probably self-defrosting, compressor driven, forced air circulation, etc. A far superior fridge all around. The possible downside involves camping off-grid (boondocking). You need inverter and batteries sufficient to keep it running. Doesn't take a lot of battery power for a day of driving between campsites, but if you want to spend several days without shore power you need enough batteries to keep you going between generator runs to recharge.

If you don't spend a lot of time off-grid, I think the electric fridge is a wise choice.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:06 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
More room for food is the pro... Need for 120vac is the CON

Some folks are scared of propane. so for them "All Electric" Is a pro as well.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #4

You did not state the make of MH. There should be next to zero extra charge for the house fridge as they are cheaper than a gas fridge. Many mfrs. have the house fridge as standard or a no charge option.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #5

The amount extra is a debatable question, but were I to buy it I would want the all electric model. Should ours ever fail, that is what I'll replace with since we do very little dry camping and almost none without electric.

The extra cost is not just a different refrigerator in all probability. It very likely includes an inverter, or possibly a second or larger inverter, may well add a battery or two and there will be some cabinetry modifications required since the ventilation requirements for the two types are very different.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:56 PM   #6

humm for me i would not go with the all electric model.
most pull 11 to 12 amps and if your stuck on 30amp power at a camp ground this cuts in to power loads for hot water or AC fro cooling

you all ready know the new stock RV units only pull 3 amps of AC power

all so you well find some posts saying the all electric model. has a higher % of fires
if looking at numbers

all so running a all electric model on a inverter to go from one place to the next is all most 30 amps DC and more on a MD inverter so camping off grid is even harder

all electric models look cooler and if you have kids in and out of them a lot and don't move the RV there the way to go

if the RV is used for real camping the old stock unit is the way to go .. but thats just me and how i feel about
Old 08-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I put up with almost 9 years of cooling problems with a Norcold aka NotSoCold RV type LPG/Electric fridge that was 12 cu/ft. in size.

I now have an 18 cu/ft. Samsung residential fridge and it has improved our Full-Time RV lifestyle 1000%.

YES...YES...YES, install the all-electric fridge but for $2000 make sure that you are getting extra batteries, a larger Pure Sine Wave Inverter or possibly a smaller PSW Inverter dedicated solely for the fridge. Make sure the Inverter has a auto-transfer switch so it will switch over to 120 VAC automatically when plugged into shore power.

You will enjoy the extra space, really cold food and beverages and frozen ice cubes and ice cream.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-01-2014, 07:37 AM   #8

$2,000?? That better be some kind of a refrigerator.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
Looking at new mh and it comes with 8 cu ft electric/propane refrigerator, which I am used to currently. Offered as a option is 12 cu ft all electric refrig for $2,000+ more. Pros/cons and why ?
For the $2000 are you getting an "all electric motorhome" or a "residential refrigerator only" ? ... big difference ...
Old 09-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
You did not state the make of MH. There should be next to zero extra charge for the house fridge as they are cheaper than a gas fridge. Many mfrs. have the house fridge as standard or a no charge option.
Sorry, the mh is a new Jayco Precept A class. Someone else pm'ed me and said his Precept was a 12 cu nor cold propane/electric. So much for the knowledgeable salesperson!
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Sorry, the mh is a new Jayco Precept A class. Someone else pm'ed me and said his Precept was a 12 cu nor cold propane/electric. So much for the knowledgeable salesperson!
the 12cf appears to be an optional size ...
Old 09-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Sorry, the mh is a new Jayco Precept A class. Someone else pm'ed me and said his Precept was a 12 cu nor cold propane/electric.

So much for the knowledgeable salesperson!
The only knowledge that a salesperson possess is how to sign a contract and sometimes that have to take a 40 hour course just to learn that. Don't expect them to know anything else.

So the question still remains; What fridge does it come with standard? What fridge are they offering as the option?

All you have mentioned so far is an 8 cu/ft. versus a 12 cu/ft. fridge.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
humm for me i would not go with the all electric model.
most pull 11 to 12 amps and if your stuck on 30amp power at a camp ground this cuts in to power loads for hot water or AC fro cooling

you all ready know the new stock RV units only pull 3 amps of AC power

all so you well find some posts saying the all electric model. has a higher % of fires
if looking at numbers

all so running a all electric model on a inverter to go from one place to the next is all most 30 amps DC and more on a MD inverter so camping off grid is even harder

all electric models look cooler and if you have kids in and out of them a lot and don't move the RV there the way to go

if the RV is used for real camping the old stock unit is the way to go .. but thats just me and how i feel about

Hmm. There might be a math or conversion anomaly here. A residential electric will pull about 1 amp at 120 volts or about 1/4 of what an RV propane electric will pull and that's only when it's running which is about 1/3 of the time. In terms of 12 volts DC that is about 11 or 12 amps off the battery via the inverter. If you are a dry camper add about 400 watts of solar to the roof and it pretty much neutralizes the power usage. I can't think of a single drawback to a residential fridge in an RV. As far as the 2000 price that may include the larger size inverter and a couple of extra batteries. Still. Can't even imagine going back to a propane electric unit. They are power hogs when on electric.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Hmm. There might be a math or conversion anomaly here. A residential electric will pull about 1 amp at 120 volts or about 1/4 of what an RV propane electric will pull and that's only when it's running which is about 1/3 of the time. In terms of 12 volts DC that is about 11 or 12 amps off the battery via the inverter. If you are a dry camper add about 400 watts of solar to the roof and it pretty much neutralizes the power usage. I can't think of a single drawback to a residential fridge in an RV. As far as the 2000 price that may include the larger size inverter and a couple of extra batteries. Still. Can't even imagine going back to a propane electric unit. They are power hogs when on electric.
Pretty much ... my Energy Star refer draws 1.6a on 120vac running and 6a at startup. That's typical.

Tags
upgrade