Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaugeguy View Post
Thanks for all your help folks.
Unfortunately, our MH is so old that there is no "AUTO" setting. It's either gas, electric or off.
Thanks again for the help!
My TT was the same way!

How about this then. You've, perhaps, heard how people hang signs on their steering wheel or rear view mirror of reminders to do before they leave a campsite? Make one for your frig.

When you get to your camp site or home, change it to electric and put the sign up (on mirror or wheel) that says something like 'FRIG- CHNG TO PROPANE'. This way, before you drive off, you will switch over.

Sheila

~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
PNWGirl........ great idea!

gaugeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The RVinsurance companies want us to turn our Propane off while traveling due to the very very very very (I won't bore you by typing Very 50 to 100 times) low risk of fire in an accident made even lower if you have an excess flow valve on your propane tank. (Kills the flow if a line breaks)

The most common Propane fire on an RV is the Fridge catching fire.. So let me draw you two pictures and you think like an insurance man.

You and I are both going to the FMCA rally where we will be packed in like sardines in a can at some fairgrounds.

As you are going down the road, me slightly behind you, your fridge catches fire.. I either one: Back off, or 2: Pull up on the OTHER side of your rig, get your attention and then pull away, as you pull over and BAIL OUT. your rig is a total loss, mine... not so much (As in no damage). I pick you up and take you to the Rally where you buy a new rig from one of the dealers on site.

Option 2:

you run with propane off. Since we are on limited power at the CG you run the fridge on Propane it catches fire, sets my rig on fire, sets the rigs on either side of us on fire before the FD can get there.. Since it's your rig that started the fires and ours were legally parked.. Guess who's insurance has to pay pay pay pay.. (Not to mention it has to pay the FD for the water used) ... right, yours.

now which scenaro would make your insurance man less unhappy? One rig or four?
Old 11-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #18

Add a fire extinguisher in the back of the fridge

shut off propane before fueling especially if you have a gas MH
Old 11-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
wa8yxm,

Thanks for the info.
So, the moral of the story is to NEVER use propane for the fridge? Right?

gaugeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Thanks for all your help folks.
Unfortunately, our MH is so old that there is no "AUTO" setting. It's either gas, electric or off.
Thanks again for the help!
Then LP is the way to go! Like others have said, you have to keep an eye on your LP tank, and remember to switch it when on shore power.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:53 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
wa8yxm,

Thanks for the info.
So, the moral of the story is to NEVER use propane for the fridge? Right?
And for those propane powered rigs, don't forget to turn off the propane in them too.
Also, gasoline is just as bad so never drive your gasoline rig with the gasoline turned one. After all the rubber gas line might get a hole in it!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #22

I have a 3-way 110-propane and 12volt. I plug in at the house and turn it on 110 and let it get cold before I leave. When I unplug at home I switch to 12volt while I'm traveling and back on 110 when I get to the campsite. Works great and I save propane. The alternator puts out plenty of juice while I'm driving so it doesn't run the batteries down. The book says it only draws 8 amps on 12volt so it doesn't draw any juice from the battery while the engine is running. I don't know if it will cool it down on 12volts from start, but it doesn't get any warmer either.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #23

Jimbo;

Where did you find a 3-way selector?

So far the auto electric/propane choice has been adequate, but a 12 volt option would be nice.

I may not know exactly where I am, but I'm not sure how fast I am going.
JohnParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #24

Not all are 3way
Old 11-20-2011, 04:59 AM   #25

Mine has a Norcold 683 model. It was in the motorhome when I bought it. The 6 stands for 6 cubic ft and the 3 stands for three way. It's worked great so far, but if it needs replaced I'll go with a regular house frig. The 683 goes for $1700 in the catologue.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:33 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
We leave ours on auto as well and since the Gen is usually running, it's not on propane.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
I realize the question is not for those of us that have house refriges only without the propane option, but I have had the same setup and always used the propane.The burner would occasionally blow out while driving down the road. Having the auto option in my last 5'r was nice and handled the problem OK. However now that we have the 110V only we use the inverter with no problems! Find out how much he frige draws, get a small inveter and add another option!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
How about this then. You've, perhaps, heard how people hang signs on their steering wheel or rear view mirror of reminders to do before they leave a campsite? Make one for your frig.
Sheila
I had a sign hanging down at the back door of my toy hauler with Whip, Antenna, Heater, Cord and Water. I still tried to load with my whip up three times, drove 150 miles with the antenna up and left the water, heater on and ripped an extension cord out. Too much going on when I load to come home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The RVinsurance companies want us to turn our Propane off while traveling due to the very very very very (I won't bore you by typing Very 50 to 100 times) low risk of fire in an accident made even lower if you have an excess flow valve on your propane tank. (Kills the flow if a line breaks)

now which scenaro would make your insurance man less unhappy? One rig or four?
With the roadside assistance plan I have, they would rather pay for towing me and my 20' enclosed if I get a flat, instead of replacing the tire on the side of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) View Post
We leave ours on auto as well and since the Gen is usually running, it's not on propane.
That's a good idea. Pull into the gas station, fire up the genny, and gas up. But, then again, the genny's exhaust is only a couple of feet from my gas cap, but it does have two mufflers and a spark arrestor.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator