Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2001, 05:56 AM   #1
gym

This weekend I experienced a troubling situation. The temperature inside my refrig. was as hot as outside, approx. 80 degrees. Not Good
Upon investigating it appears the LP is not "functioning properly." It showed all the prpoer signs but no go. So we ended up running the generator all weekend. It allowed the refrig. to work just fine. I've run down the usual things to check with no success. But I will entertain others or a rehash just to satisfy my curiosity. Just so you know I did not disassemble anything yet, as I did not wish to cause more issues at a remote site from home. I figured it would be safer to deal with this week at home. Although the racing was fun the beer was warm. But thanks to fellow racers we got a cool one.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2001, 05:56 AM   #2
gym

This weekend I experienced a troubling situation. The temperature inside my refrig. was as hot as outside, approx. 80 degrees. Not Good
Upon investigating it appears the LP is not "functioning properly." It showed all the prpoer signs but no go. So we ended up running the generator all weekend. It allowed the refrig. to work just fine. I've run down the usual things to check with no success. But I will entertain others or a rehash just to satisfy my curiosity. Just so you know I did not disassemble anything yet, as I did not wish to cause more issues at a remote site from home. I figured it would be safer to deal with this week at home. Although the racing was fun the beer was warm. But thanks to fellow racers we got a cool one.

Old 07-02-2001, 06:27 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
At least yours worked on AC. Our 15 month old Norcold N841F quit on us last month - it would barely cool on either LP or 120VAC. After losing all the meat, ice cream, etc. in the freezer during the drive (what a mess!! ), we wound up using an ice chest for the balance of the trip!

Verdict - a new cooling unit (thankfully under warranty.) I suspect your problem is a restriction somewhere in the LP piping circuit, a bad thermocouple/flame detector/igniter or, at worst, a control board. Better than a whole new cooling unit!

Good luck!

Rust

--------------------

Dodge 3500 V-10 SLT ExtCab LB dually
Jayco Designer 3610XL 36' triple slide 5ver
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 03:12 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
A good site to check out for helpful tips for your refrigerator is at www.rvmobile.com
Good luck at troubleshooting this problem.

RV Wizard, Mike C. 95 36' Rexhall Arebus Ford 460 w/ iRV2.com decals 94 Blazer 5spd. manual NASCAR #3 & #8
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 10:02 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Give us some clues. What have you checked so far? Obvious things first, like did the propane burner ignite and stay lit? It is not unusual to have a problem with the LP burner, e.g. a dead bug, rust flakes or spider nest in the burner tube. Your manual should have a cleaning procedure for it but if not, check the hot water heater manual for a similar one.

Failure of the control board was also common in the late 80's thru the mid-90's. Dometic in particular had a lot of board problems, usually hairline cracks developing that opened a crucial circuit. Don't start out assuming that, though. Check the basics first.

Since your fridge cools on AC, there is nothing seriously wrong, i.e. the cooling unit works and the thermocouple itself is OK. Focus on the LP gas delivery and ignition portion of the system.

Gary Brinck
1996 Southwind 35LS
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:38 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Wizard:
A good site to check out for helpful tips for your refrigerator is at www.rvmobile.com
Good luck at troubleshooting this problem.

RV Wizard, Mike C. 95 36' Rexhall Arebus Ford 460 w/ iRV2.com decals 94 Blazer 5spd. manual NASCAR #3 & #8 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks RVWizard .... This site answered all my questions and a few extra without starting a new string.

Mind you, I haven't fixed the electric cycle "no cool" problem yet but at least I know how when the time comes.

gordon
Old 05-02-2006, 05:59 AM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gym,
If your problem can be described as the gas is ignited at the burner and appears normal but the system is not cooling then this is exactly the problem that I experienced recently. The problem seemed to be that the chimney was partially blocked. The fix, in my case was simple, turn off the gas, go up on the roof with an air hose and remove the chimeny/vent cover and blow air down the chimney. You'll be amazed at what comes out.
Hope this works for you.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote