Originally Posted by bdickson
The Driver License clerk in Sioux Falls told us that if a full timer receives a Jury Duty summons from South Dakota you complete a "Nomad Affidavit", get it notarized and return to the court. They take your name off the jury duty roll for life.
Also each state has different DL and other things to consider. I really didn't focus much on FL but what I think I properly understand when comparing TX to SD:
1. TX has DL testing requirements for larger MHs...SD not.
2. Sales tax on vehicles in TX is 6.25%, SD 3%.
3. Vehicle inspections are annual in TX but not required in SD. TX will not require you actually return each year but upon return inspection would be required. There was a move earlier this year to require some kind of inspection before renewing registration each year instead of a sticker. I'm not sure it went anywhere and would be most problematic for "nomads".
4. Sales tax on other goods in TX ranges from 6.25% to 8.25% while in SD 4% to 6%. (Note: With the forthcoming mandatory collection of state sales tax for internet purchases the lower range for each state could be the controlling amount in many cases.)
State Sales Tax Rates
5. Establishing residency...I found SD was VERY EASY to do including registering to vote. My understanding is that based on my address that I am not eligible to vote on local issues such as school items but I do vote on state and national issues. That seems fair to me because I don't have a clue about local schools and shouldn't vote on them.
While researching TX I was a little concerned it was going to be a little bit more complicated. Even if it's process was as easy as SD, the distance to do it and the other factors above helped me decide on SD. If I was already a TX resident, I wouldn't see much of a need to change from TX. There are a lot of very happy Escapees members that can vouch for why TX is a very good option.
Since FL is just not my cup of tea...I just didn't spend an time on it. I have no clue on how well it works for true "nomads" without a current FL residency prior to roaming around the country.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.