Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #1

Calif. will currently waive sales tax on a motorhome purchased out of state that does not enter the state basically for 91 days. I , a calif. resident purchased a new motorhome from a dealer in Arizona and it is now parked in a Nevada RV park. We will live and travel in it for the ammount of time it takes to fulfill the exemption. Problem, we have a 30 day operating permit which will expire 2 months prior to the 90 days. Has anyone out there utilized this exemption and if so, how did you keep your rig legal for out of state travel?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #2

Calif. will currently waive sales tax on a motorhome purchased out of state that does not enter the state basically for 91 days. I , a calif. resident purchased a new motorhome from a dealer in Arizona and it is now parked in a Nevada RV park. We will live and travel in it for the ammount of time it takes to fulfill the exemption. Problem, we have a 30 day operating permit which will expire 2 months prior to the 90 days. Has anyone out there utilized this exemption and if so, how did you keep your rig legal for out of state travel?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:51 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Did you pay sales tax in Arizona? If you did, check with California and see if they will give you credit for the amount of sales tax you paid in Arizona. I believe Arizona sales tax is as much, if not more, than sales tax in California.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:20 AM   #4

Root

Does the 91 day rule apply to getting a tag. I bet if you call Calif DMV they can tell you it is okay to get the tag, just do not bring back into the state for 91 DAYS S/Toby
Old 02-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #5

If you had a trade in, I've been told that CA will charge you tax on the full purchase price, whereas when I bought my rig in Arizona, the sales tax was only on the price after the trade in had been subtracted.

If you did not have a trade in, then the taxes will probably be comparable.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:34 PM   #6

Hmmmm....wonder why California would be benevolent for ANY kind of tax liability...maybe they are afraid of another "tea party"???
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #7

I doubt it, one thing California politicans have never been shy about is sticking their hand in your pocket.......

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:22 AM   #8

I have just done it so it is do able. Anyone interested should request through State Board of Equalization Publication 52, Vehicles and Vessels-How to request a use tax and clearance for DMV registration.