Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #15

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
My friend had his re-enforced at a trailer hitch shop. Basically what they did was to weld some of the same 2" square stock to the frame, slightly inboard of where the hitch bolts or is welded to the frame and to the hitch. Not to the plug-in part, but to the cross piece of the hitch. That make since?

His was rated at 5000# and is now over 10,000#
How much does he actually tow with it now?
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #16

Has anybody ever seen a mh that is rated at 10k on hitch and mh with a Allison 3000 series trannsmission?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #17

Give Cliff a call. Link says he has been doing it close to 50 years.

Just because a "Local" welder beefs up a trailer hitch, doesn't mean the hitch is not stronger.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
How much does he actually tow with it now?
He pulls a 28' enclosed trailer with two small sandrails an and ATV. A lot of guys pull as much or more. I will ask the next time I go camping.

And quit quoting me the 10,000#. I'm just guessing at what he told me.

I don't know about hitches, but Peerless Chains test every link to double their rated capacity(it's on the Discovery Channel right now). They've been making chains since 1917.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #19

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
He pulls a 28' enclosed trailer with two small sandrails an and ATV. A lot of guys pull as much or more. I will ask the next time I go camping.

And quit quoting me the 10,000#. I'm just guessing at what he told me.

I don't know about hitches, but Peerless Chains test every link to double their rated capacity(it's on the Discovery Channel right now). They've been making chains since 1917.
Whoa! I never quoted you on the 10k#! I appreciate you being willing to ask the guy.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Whoa! I never quoted you on the 10k#! I appreciate you being willing to ask the guy.
Sorry, I didn't mean you.

There are sometimes 30+ MH's in out group and thousands at the dunes that tow enclosed trailers.
I'll ask some of the heavies.

Have you thought about a 5er. They tow so sweet. None of the tail wagging the dog stuff.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Maybe people just want to beef things up a bit. I'm about to refenforce my spring shackle mounts because of the numerouse failures out there the on "engineered" frames. Just because it was "engineered" does not mean the final build wont fail.

Like she said "wheres the beef?"
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #22

Old 01-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #23

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean you.

There are sometimes 30+ MH's in out group and thousands at the dunes that tow enclosed trailers.
I'll ask some of the heavies.

Have you thought about a 5er. They tow so sweet. None of the tail wagging the dog stuff.
True, they tow and back like a semi (yes, I've driven a few small flatbed semis back when I worked for SRP) but they take a honkin' big truck that would make a lousy grocery getter and travel rig the 363 days of the year I'm not towing. I also wouldn't be able to have a shell on the bed (and there AIN'T NO WAY I'm giving up having a shell!).

I also know what the tail wagging the dog is like. The F150 should handle things at freeway speeds but I would have no problem going 45mph if necessary to keep the trailer from emulating the tail end of a happy porpoise or to keep the engine from overheating. So what if it takes three or four hours instead of two to move the trailer twice a year?
Old 01-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #24

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Maybe people just want to beef things up a bit. I'm about to refenforce my spring shackle mounts because of the numerouse failures out there the on "engineered" frames. Just because it was "engineered" does not mean the final build wont fail.

Like she said "wheres the beef?"
That and adding heavier shackles and wet bolts with real metal, not plastic, bushings should be done right after getting a trailer.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #25

Quote:
True, they tow and back like a semi (yes, I've driven a few small flatbed semis back when I worked for SRP) but they take a honkin' big truck that would make a lousy grocery getter and travel rig the 363 days of the year I'm not towing. I also wouldn't be able to have a shell on the bed (and there AIN'T NO WAY I'm giving up having a shell!).
So, have a friend with a 5th wheel hitch move it for you twice a year, or maybe you could rent a truck from U-haul with a hitch. Make friends with someone in the CG that is going your way to get supplies. Pay for gas + a tip.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Has anybody ever seen a mh that is rated at 10k on hitch and mh with a Allison 3000 series trannsmission?
According to Spartan ours is even though we only have a 6,000# hitch on it right now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Give Cliff a call. Link says he has been doing it close to 50 years.

Just because a "Local" welder beefs up a trailer hitch, doesn't mean the hitch is not stronger.
But, under Federal Law, the only one that can certify/recertify a vehicle is the original manufacturer of the completed vehicle. Even if a hitch company did all the stress analysis and testing they still couldn't change the weight ratings.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #28

I don't know Cliff, but I'm sure he stands behind his work and ~50 years of experience. If he said the hitch is now rated for 10K, I would trust him. That's no consolation if you are half way through a trip and it breaks though.