Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Has anybody ever seen a mh that is rated at 10k on hitch and mh with a Allison 3000 series trannsmission?
Mike, there are a lot of coaches on the road like that. All the Tiffin Phaetons and Allegro Buses have 10K hitches and Allison 3000 series transmission. I feel sure that Tiffin is not the only one building coaches in that range. My Blue Ox towbar is rated at 10,000K and I regularly pull 6K worth of pick-up behind it. Sometimes more depending on what all extra "she" want to take on the trip.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter
Has anybody ever seen a mh that is rated at 10k on hitch and mh with a Allison 3000 series trannsmission?
My 08 knight is 10k, (33k gvwr, 43k gcwr) with a 360 hp isc and 3000 series allison

Old 01-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, thanks, I was just wondering the transmissions. I forgot all about the GCWR. I guess I need to look at mine. Can't remember if I ever did but I think I did.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #32

I used to tow 9K with a K2500HD, even towed and launched a 12K boat once or twice, but I cannot imagine towing 11K with an F150, despite what the blue oval guys say.

I'd bet that truck will have a really short useful life, starting with the transmission.

After destroying the 700R4 in my previous K2500 the guy that owned the shop quipped "tow packages are for towing sea-doos - not that monster you hooked up".
Old 01-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #33

My 33' 5er was rated at 12.1K and the scales said I had 9260 on the trailer axles. I towed it with my `97 Dodge Ram 2500, but it was a 5 speed. There was no way I would have had an auto to tow it.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #34

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
I used to tow 9K with a K2500HD, even towed and launched a 12K boat once or twice, but I cannot imagine towing 11K with an F150, despite what the blue oval guys say.

I'd bet that truck will have a really short useful life, starting with the transmission.

After destroying the 700R4 in my previous K2500 the guy that owned the shop quipped "tow packages are for towing sea-doos - not that monster you hooked up".
Did you miss the part about very occasional towing (less than 400 miles a year)? As long as I don't let anything overheat (slowing down and grabbing gears are great ways to keep engine and tranny temps down), I shouldn't have any problems.

Now if I was towing frequently and/or long distances, yes, I would shorten the truck's life dramatically.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #35

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
My 33' 5er was rated at 12.1K and the scales said I had 9260 on the trailer axles. I towed it with my `97 Dodge Ram 2500, but it was a 5 speed. There was no way I would have had an auto to tow it.
Modern automatics actually have better pulling power than manuals, give better fuel mileage, and cost less to maintain than sticks and clutches. Because of that, even the big rigs are going to them.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Reinforcing a hitch is fine and give peace of mind. Unless you can get a certification that someone will stand behind it will not increase the towing capacity of the vechile or the tongue weight of the hitch.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
The talk of the factory built hitches brings up an interseting article I think everyone need to lok at and read. The man this happened to is a good friend of mine.

Go to www.bounder.org in the left hand column click on the button Beacon. When that screen opens up go to the 2011 column then go down and click Dec/Jan. When it loads up read the article Through the Windshield by Tom Robinson. This was a factory built hitch.

Jerry
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #38

That's a real nice organization. They even publicize new member complete name, address, city, state, zip code and phone number. Sure, you could find the same information in a phone book, but the phone book doesn't say that the person has an RV and may be away from home for extended periods of time.

I'm 64 and maybe hitch failures aren't good enough to hit the news, but I have never read of one before. I did see a 5th wheel hitch fail... ...after the wind blew the 5er over someplace in Texas. Not saying it can't happen, but I haven't heard of it before.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

That hitch in that article had some major rust on it. Don't like how it was attached to the cross frame. It was just welded butt on with nothing on the sides of the receiver.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #40

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Dunner, do you think this is made up? The person this happened to is the president of BOA. I think he should know what goes on with his rig. Look at the pictures. You can see where the hitch was NEVER welded.

Jerry
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #41

Quote:
Not saying it can't happen, but I haven't heard of it before.
I believe it happed, just haven't seen or heard of it before this.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Did you miss the part about very occasional towing (less than 400 miles a year)? As long as I don't let anything overheat (slowing down and grabbing gears are great ways to keep engine and tranny temps down), I shouldn't have any problems.
Didn't miss that at all. I'd dragged my toyhauler on only 10 outings or so when the transmission took a dump (the truck was far from new, but I'd never towed with it). I'd estimate that was less than 4000 miles total, and one trip was to the midwest and back, with another longish one to NorCal and back. I also had the tow package, an additional Serek cooler, and a spin-on filter that was changed religiously, and I NEVER towed or drove around town in OD. Never had the engine overheat, but the tranny had no gauge. The stuff that broke wasn't stuff seriously affected by heat anyway (in other words, not a band or valve body problem). The heat in your location and mine are the same, but the mountains here are more formidable.

My point is, that going up the the F250 gives you some components rated for much higher capacities, capable of handling the 17000 lb payloads of the F350DRW diesel, rather than being on the other end of the scale with a F150. This sizes of the final products are the virtually the same dimensionally and within a couple of hundred pounds of each other. You may end up actually paying more for the 150, because manufacturers know they are a cash cow and you'll end up buying a lot more options to get the capacity you are looking for. With the same engine and rear-end ratio the gas mileage will be close as well. Not to mention a better hitch.