Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2008, 05:48 AM   #1

I removed my Carefree slide out awnings (circa 2001) to re-stitch the ends which had become loose due to sun and wind damage. I used fishing line which hopefully will last more than 7 years. When removing the first arm there was plenty of spring tension and I let is slowly unwind.

Now that I need to reinstall them I need to figure out how to get the spring tension back. I haven't found my exact model with instructions at the Carefree web site but I do have a pretty good idea of what's going on.

So it appears as though slide out awnings of this type include a spring which doesn't run the full length of the tube but is designed to be "caught and loaded" by one arm or another. The problem is getting this to happen without disassembling the tube.

Does anyone have experience with this type of slide out awning and can you offer some advice or tricks to avoid bungee cords until I can make it to the local repair shop?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2008, 05:48 AM   #2

I removed my Carefree slide out awnings (circa 2001) to re-stitch the ends which had become loose due to sun and wind damage. I used fishing line which hopefully will last more than 7 years. When removing the first arm there was plenty of spring tension and I let is slowly unwind.

Now that I need to reinstall them I need to figure out how to get the spring tension back. I haven't found my exact model with instructions at the Carefree web site but I do have a pretty good idea of what's going on.

So it appears as though slide out awnings of this type include a spring which doesn't run the full length of the tube but is designed to be "caught and loaded" by one arm or another. The problem is getting this to happen without disassembling the tube.

Does anyone have experience with this type of slide out awning and can you offer some advice or tricks to avoid bungee cords until I can make it to the local repair shop?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a LINK that may help.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:25 AM   #4

Thank you.

I had read that thread over the weekend but I wasn't sure mine were the same. But after working with them and re-reading the thread I think they are.

But what ever happened to "TheRVGuy"?
Old 12-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
My Carefree toppers have the spring on the left end of the tube. The right end simply rotates on a piece of slightly smaller tubing that is bolted to the mount. When I replaced my toppers, I pinned the left end of the rollers is the extended position, then removed everything. When I put the new canvas in place, the last step was to remove the pins from the left end of the roller.

My problem is with my Carefree window awnings. One needs more tension and Carefree told me "we don't provide any information to owers about how to adjust the tension because those springs are as strong as garage door springs and you might get hurt." I guess one day when I have the time I'll get on the ladder and fiddle with it and figure it out.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #6

I found out today I didn't need to remove the rivets as noted in the linked thread for the A&E awnings.

You should be able to carefully remove the end with the spring and give the arm a few more twists. Mine were at opposite ends even on opposite sides of the RV.

I wound mine until they felt correct and worked smoothly with the slide and then extending them over the windows, which was easiest with the slide extended so there was room to pull the arm out of the tube just far enough to clear the end of the slide and sidewall. I did "have the feel" of replacing my main awning springs earlier this year.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We replaced 2 of ours this summer on our 2001. They had shrunk and the thread in the seams was disolving from the heat and sun. My springs were on the right end of both slides, the LR and Bdroom. I extended the slide and then brought the window part down and just unbolted the arm and slowly backed it off. When installing, did the same thing with the non-spring attached as normal. The literature called for 14 turns for spring tension. The literature can be found on the website under obsolete stuff in the literature section. It was necessary to bend the fabric around the anti-sail device on each tightening turn, but it works. Hopw this is of some help.

Happy travels Pete