Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2007, 10:13 AM   #1

Hi everyone!

I put this out on another forum, and got zero (zippo! nil! nein!) responses. So I'll try here with what I know must be a much brighter, more-experienced and better-looking posting community.

Having now blown smoke in your ear, here's my question: I have a dash-mounted TV & would like to switch to an overhead LED TV. Have any of you done this and then found a new use for that "once-had-a-tv-in-there" space? I thought about making a nice matching wood insert and installing my CB radio and/or GPS screen in there.

Anyone?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2007, 10:13 AM   #2

Hi everyone!

I put this out on another forum, and got zero (zippo! nil! nein!) responses. So I'll try here with what I know must be a much brighter, more-experienced and better-looking posting community.

Having now blown smoke in your ear, here's my question: I have a dash-mounted TV & would like to switch to an overhead LED TV. Have any of you done this and then found a new use for that "once-had-a-tv-in-there" space? I thought about making a nice matching wood insert and installing my CB radio and/or GPS screen in there.

Anyone?

Old 07-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #3

Well, we have only owned a class A MH for about three months now. We have never been able to figure out why TV's are mounted where they are in the vast majority of class A's. I understand the need to save space in the living area but mounting the TV up high and in front makes viewing it a major pain. The first thing we need in our "new to us" 32 footer was to get a heavy duty wall mount from Omnimounts and to buy a 23 inch LCD Samsung widescreen TV and have our local RV shop mount the wall mount and the TV onto it and wire it. Now, when we want to watch tv, we just pull it out and face it to the sofa and watch from there, closer, eye level and much more comfortable.

I realize this isn't really on point to your post but just wanted to give a small rant to one of my pet peeves with the vast majority of class A's that I see.

R
Old 07-14-2007, 11:52 AM   #4

Boy, what would I do with a "found" area in that spot? How about an open area for Winky the Wonderdog to bed down so you don't trip over his bed everytime you crawl out from behind the wheel? Or maybe a pull out Travel Center with your CB, Maps, GPS, a REAL stereo, Cooler with Ice, and don't forget the flip down tray with a custom place to lock in your giant travel coffee mug? I suppose you could be magnanimous and ask your DW what she would like, but it seems like this should be a DRIVERS place. After all, She owns the rest of the MH.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:38 PM   #5

bjsieloff, I love your ideas. In my mind I saw some "transformer"-type applications. LOL Maybe I should get out the old sketch pad and see what I can design. Maybe someone could manufacture these and it could be an on-the-road "cottage" industry for me.

BTW, I AM the DW. DH passed away and I bought the MH to get outta Dodge (with a Ford -- go figure). I have an elderly dog that might like the snuggly cubby for his bed.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Bjsieloff, welcome to iRV2.

You're off to a great start with all those ideas.

Come back and visit often.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ok, way to go!! You just made a great idea and now just make yourself a business and take them to all the different rv shows around the country and sale them to all of us who couldn't figure out what to do with the big box in the dash!!
You really have a good idea with the cb and the gps and coffee cup holders! I saw some other ideas mentioned and all could be incorporated into that hole in the dash! Could be that you could pay for your fuel traveling and with the tax write-off you could travel for free!!
Think about it...Capt.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Could be that you could pay for your fuel traveling and with the tax write-off you could travel for free!!
Think about it...Capt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oooooh.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:57 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
rivercat... I too wanted to get rid of the large and very heavy 27" tv in the overhead.
We re-arranged everything, including the living area furniture, and placed the new flat screen LCD tv on a floor cabinet.

From the photo you can see the black flat screen on the right in front of the doorway. We covered the hole where the old tv was with a large photo. The frame supporting the photo hinges and we have access to a good sized storage area. Although we only put light things, blankets, pillows, etc. up there.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:19 PM   #10

I recently (last month) replaced both TV's in our '04 KSDP. It wasnt the easiest job but I took my time and now have a 23" LCD HD TV in the area formerly occupied by a 19" that weighed too uch to be bouncing above my head while driving. I promised to post the photos earlier but have been lazy and right now the coach is in the diesel shop for a couple of minor repairs.
Anyway, Costco has a very good, articulated, TV mount for about $80. and I screwed that to the existing cabinet with 4" screws that MUST be into solid wood. Its not rocket science or without some small expense (leather medic to fill the holes left behind in the ceiling by the former bracket)but worth the time and effort. Good luck with yours.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I removed mine in my previous mh and replaced it with a swing down LCD.

I put a door on the old tv case and used it for storage.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Bob - awesome job, and a beautiful coach there! That is a real nice setup. Especially like the two recliners in the slide.

rivercat - not sure how big that dash box is, but instead of going overhead, what about putting an LCD on a motorized lift inside so that it will raise up out of the box when you want to watch it. It will put the viewing height a bit higher than it currently is, you can enclose the front of the box and mount your goodies still, and it would be super pimp. You would win extra points in your neighborhood for such coolness

I saw a high end coach once that had a motorized LCD TV that came out the bottom of the front curb side slide for an outdoor TV. Ever since then, I have been trying to figure out a way to have one

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #13

Bill0828

I am thinking of doing the same thing. How did you lock the arm, or TV, in the front so it wouldn't swing while traveling?

Chris
Old 07-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #14

Chris
I recycled the straps from the 19" TV that was in the bedroom. I already had a "snap kit for replacing the snaps on a tonneau cover for my pickup. I also recycled some of the wood trim from the old TV enclosure and created a finished look for the front edge openings. I'd send a photo now but the RV is at the Cummins shop (10 days and counting) for a new engine compressor. I put a snap reciever on the back of each trim piece and snapped the strap across the front of the TV from side to side. It moves forward till it contacts the strap and stays put. So far it doesn't move back and forth. The articulated arm is snug so that helps keep it in place. If I get the rig back this Saturday I'll post some photos.
I like your AStar. I did time in a TwinStar and a 206.