Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Rejuvenate Cabinet Doors

Hi all,

I have a 1994 Pace Arrow 33. Most of the cabinet doors have lost their shine and seem very "dry" (not cracking) - I'm sure due to sun/uv exposure. Can anyone tell me what was used originally and/or what I should now use on them to bring them back to life?

I don't really want to use a urethane type product as they do not seem to currently have that type of "coating" and I'm not ready to do a full blown "restoration" project at this time. I suspect tung or some oil is the best approach but really need some guidance.

Thanks!

JD

JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Hello JD,
We liked a product so well in our stick home, that we used it in the Diplomat---great results. We have the Light-to-medium Oak interior cabinets in the Motorhome. The product is called Restorz-It (McFate's Restorz-It Wood Finish Restorer) We got it on-line at www.restorzit.com or 1-800-759-4345. It comes in 3 color choices, Light, Medium, and Dark. We bought 2 bottles (10 Oz. bottles). One bottle we bought is the cleaner/degreaser if needed, and the other one is the restorer in the Medium color. The cleaner/degreaser was not used in the Diplomat, just the restorer, but you can use it if deep cleaning is required first. One bottle of the restorer is enough for 2 houses (at least), so it is a great value. The medium color worked great for our light-medium color Oak cabinets. Look like new now. Hope this helps

Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
We use this product Liberon Finishing Oil, Liter - Amazon.com the more coats the more glossy. For a semi gloss finish do about three coats.
We used it on our front door https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...2766057%211435

And these bowls https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...92766057%21909

Also on this game box https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...2766057%212115

These finishes have lasted for years. It's food safe and easy, just wipe on with a paper rag like you get a Sam's Club. Scott Shop Rags In A Box - 200 Pack / 8 bx. - Sam's Club=

Very little sanding is required, the les the better. Just enough to knock off any gloss finish and flaking.

Dick
Old 05-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
From several reviews on several RV forums about 1 1/2 yrs ago, I bought and used Howard Restor-A-Finish. You can find it at places like Lowe's and Home Depot. I used it on every piece of wood in the RV. You would not believe the difference between putting it on old, dried out wood. I would caution you to start at one spot and continue around the whole coach till you meet up with where you started and have the windows open while you are doing it. It took me a few weeks only doing a couple hours at a time. But this coach does have lots of real wood in it.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thank you to everyone. All suggestions appear to be good products. I'm going to try the Howard's product that PyrateSilly recommended as I get it locally.

Thanks again!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Just remember to have windows open as there may be fumes with any of them.
Since we did have the RV in storage at the time and I could go just about any time that I wanted to work on things I took my time doing the wood. Even with all the wood in here I might have used only 1 can of the stuff.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Or.... You could try something like this to make it modern. Its really all a matter of personal preference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130508_175457.png
Views:	186
Size:	523.5 KB
ID:	38456

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130508_180410.png
Views:	124
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	38457

Before and after. I removed all doors, took off all hinges and handles. We just rubbed the wood with mineral, and painted. Semi gloss white. Roughed up all hinges and handles, then sprayed the black metallic rustoleum.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is just a thought that ran through my simple brain but I wonder how wiping them with Zep Wet Look would work. If some put it on their outside and it makes it shine so good and last so long it would probably work on cabinets too. Might take a small door or drawer and try it. If it works it sure would be faster and cheaper. Have to put it on real light so you get no runs.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
I'm going to try the Howard's product that PyrateSilly recommended as I get it locally.
It is done and looks fantastic! I am really happy with the results. The only problem is that the cabinet doors (real wood) look great which makes the surrounding plastic veneer stuff look less than great. :-) Another project, I suppose...

Thank you all for the ideas and suggestions.