Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-20-2015, 07:12 AM   #1
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Relocate chair to make it more functional

While searching for our "New to Us" 30 ft motor home, we noticed a lot of people had removed the "chair" that was located behind the passenger seat and in front of the door. This seemed weird, as we were welcoming this "chair". Why would someone remove it??

After we bought the Mirada and started getting some experience with it. I believe we discovered why some people opted to remove the "chair". It was somewhat non-functional as it was to close to the passenger seat, difficult to re-position, and really cramped on the right side of the chair. Basically, almost useless.

I explored several solutions including doing like some, removing the chair. I finally decided to move the chair a few inches farther aft of the passenger seat and see if this would work out.

The first thought was to relocate the entire pedestal aft, but after investigating how the seat assembly was bolted down and would require building a complete mounting structure change under the floor, I nixed this idea. More thinking.

I then thought about making an adapter plate that would mount to the existing pedestal, but with new holes for the chair that would shift it aft by a few inches.

I was originally going to do this with 1/4 steel plate, but decided to do it with 3/4 plywood, quick, easy and could be changed if more mods needed to be made.

Basically, I cut a 13x13 piece of 3/4 plywood drilled the holes, bolted everything down.

The chair doesn't hit or doesnt fell cramped against the passanger seat.

More details HERE:

Moving the chair 3-1/2 inches so passanger seat won't hit it

NOTE - We do not occupy this chair while traveling, so I removed the seat belt from it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat_1_1067x600.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	92029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat_2_1066x600.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	92030  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat_3_1066x600.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	92031  

2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:06 PM   #2

Good idea to remove the seat belt, and I'd add , remove your modification and re-install the seat belt when you sell the coach.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
I'm not a large person, but the recliner was too small and generally uncomfortable, also in the way, so it got relocated to the garage. There are just the two of us and we use the front seats and ottomans that take the place of the chair. That works the best for us. If there were more than just two, we might have to rethink.
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ALank. There isn't a lot of room there for anything.

I've heard of people removing it and putting in a full size recliner, but that wouldn't fit in this one.

We'll try this on the next road trip. It better than it was.
2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
I have an old Fleetwood Bounder with what I call the 3rd chair. Back in the day this seat was exactly the same as the cockpit chairs, including a seat belt. There also is a small table for this chair. It is my favorite spot in the rv and is where I live when parked. I have my book and drink on the table, a window that can be opened and I can look forward or out the side. Unfortunately there has been an attack on my favorite part of the mh. First with replacing it with an unattached, no seat belt and lower profile chair. Now almost not available anymore on most class a's.
The new Southwind 32vs does have the location with a small table, but a undesirable chair for me. I talked to a company sales rep and asked if they could send a matching cockpit chair and keep what they normally install. The reply was yes they could accomodate my wish. The chair would be installed properly by me, in the same manner as the cockpit seats. The only change is I would shift the location offset about 8" farther from the sidewall compared to the forward passenger seat.
Another item that I would have to attend to would be the couch on the Southwind. I find the couch seat way to deep and the cushion entirely too soft and would never use it. However the wife loves the couch so I guess it would have to stay as long as I get my chair.
There are a few other items I don't like about the Southwind, the forward tv and the useless midship tv unless the slide is out. Thankfully both of the tv's are optional and would not order them and just settle with the bedroom tv. The 32vs is 4 feet longer than our Bounder but the bathroom is exactly the same cramped accomodation we have now, which the wife has never liked.
Another feature I do like about the 32vs is the great ground clearance of the vehicle, very nice to have considering the terrain of places I like to venture to.
What a conundrum we face.

Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
When we ordered our MH I had that chair left off. I then built a small storage cabinet with a countertop and a 110V outlet on the side to take its place.

Tiny Dog is offline   Reply With Quote