Many thanks for the great feedback. The door is now fixed, hopefully permanently.
I looks like there were several issues. First the buttons are not aligned. Instead of hitting each other head on, they slide past each other. I polished the buttons so that they would line up, but it still was opening randomly.
After disassembling the door "buttons", I found that the contacts were corroded where the wires are connected to the buttons. After scrubbing off the corrosion and reassembling, the connection was consistent, but it started acting very strangely!
Then I realized that I had switched the wires.
After switching the wires back to their correct, it worked consistently and correctly!
So it's on to the next funky issue - the sliding door between the main cabin and the bathroom.
Again, thanks for the help.