Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #1

Remote Door Lock NOT Unlocking Consistently

Hi. Our coach has a remote door lock system that locks and unlocks the bay doors and the front door independently and together. However, it's not working properly. It locks the doors fine and unlocks the bay doors fine, but does not unlock the front door consistent (which is nerve wracking).

The front door unlock button is the second button from the left in this remote controller:

Sometimes the front door unlocks and sometimes not. Sometimes it unlocks after pressing the second button from the left by pressing and hold it. Sometimes, it unlocks after many tries (10-20).

I assume that there is a controller for this bad boy, but I can't find it. Also, there are four metal "buttons" in the door/door frame (see pic below) that may be involved. But I'm not sure about that either because it's not clear what the buttons are for.

Does anyone have this kind of system and have found issues like this? Any suggestions for solving the problem? Location of remote door controller?

I appreciate any help or suggestions with this.

Thanks,

Dan.

p.s. The front door has an air leak and maybe other issues. I posted about that here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f274/door...ak-218561.html

Door buttons:
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #2

My coach has a similar system. Mine had an actuator go bad in the main entry door. The buttons you refer to actually are connected to the wires connecting the actuator. If they are not making good contact then the door actuator will not work. The remaining 'buttons' should be for your entry steps. Your problem may not be with your actuator, but if it is, it is an easy replacement.
Clements02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clements02 View Post
My coach has a similar system. Mine had an actuator go bad in the main entry door. The buttons you refer to actually are connected to the wires connecting the actuator. If they are not making good contact then the door actuator will not work. The remaining 'buttons' should be for your entry steps. Your problem may not be with your actuator, but if it is, it is an easy replacement.
Clements

Thanks. I'll take that apart this Friday and inspect it. Maybe polish the buttons.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:24 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your problem is the key fob button, take it apart and fold tin foil about 4 times, trim it to fit under the rubber push button. Now, when the button is pushed, the tin foil contacts the circuit board and completes the circuit.

This trick works on GM key FOBs, it might work on yours, it only cost you a small piece of tin foil.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Your door buttons really need to be cleaned and polished. To keep from doing this once a week, use a small amount of dielectric grease on each one which will help with the electrical contact.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Your door buttons really need to be cleaned and polished. To keep from doing this once a week, use a small amount of dielectric grease on each one which will help with the electrical contact.
Roger and Mary,

Thanks for the great tip. That grease is now on my to-buy list for today.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #7

Dan,

If all that doesn't correct the intermittent problem, try removing the 2 screws holding the brass "buttons" in the door jamb. Each button should have a wire "push type" connector in the back. The wire can work its way loose causing intermittent operation. Same thing can happen on the door side.

I had a similar problem and found a loose connection. I learned about this "fix" on this forum

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Dan,

If all that doesn't correct the intermittent problem, try removing the 2 screws holding the brass "buttons" in the door jamb. Each button should have a wire "push type" connector in the back. The wire can work its way loose causing intermittent operation. Same thing can happen on the door side.

I had a similar problem and found a loose connection. I learned about this "fix" on this forum

cheers,
Joopy
Joopy,

Thanks. That will be the first thing I try.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #9

Guys, you need to understand that dielectric grease does not conduct electricity. Dielectric means it is an insulator. The purpose it serves is to prevent arcing when there is a small space between the contacts. It has little usefulness in 12 volt circuits, but is very useful for preventing arcing in 120/240 VAC receptacles that are worn and in need of replacement.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #10

Dielectric grease also protects against corrosion of contact surfaces, which is why it is commonly used in 12-volt applications.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Dielectric grease is an insulator, it prevents or hinders electrical flow if put between contacts. Look it up.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Dielectric grease also protects against corrosion of contact surfaces, which is why it is commonly used in 12-volt applications.
To prevent corrosion and conduct electricity, use graphite grease. That is what we used on high-voltage cutouts for power lines because resistance is a major problem.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 09-15-2014, 05:44 PM   #13

Dan Public, our MH did exactly the same thing. The actuator was failing and eventually failed in the unlocked position. I had to disassemble the door, remove the actuator so I could use the key to lock the door. In the process it also caused the Trimark remote system to fail, requiring replacement of that too.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Dielectric grease is an insulator, it prevents or hinders electrical flow if put between contacts. Look it up.
Dielectric grease has been used for ages to protect electrical contacts. It is an insulator but it does not affect conductivity of a metal-to-metal contact surface. In fact sometimes the insulating properties are desirable (to prevent high-voltage leakage, etc.) Conductive grease is not such a good thing because it does not facilitate conductivity in any meaningful way (between properly-mated contacts) while potentially causing crosstalk problems in multi-conductor connectors.

Permatex, Loctite, and all such manufacturers sell dielectric grease for the purpose of protecting electrical contacts in automotive applications. 'Look it up.'
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door