Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Remote RV Storage Options

I live near Boston, MA and would like to take trips out west with my kids over the summers as they grow up to show them the National Parks, etc. I've been researching the idea for a couple years.

The drive to Yellowstone is 2400 miles one way, that's 6 days of aggressive driving just to get out there and back, I think it is too much because I can really only get 2 weeks off consecutively.

My idea now is to buy a used RV and leave it out west in a central location. Perhaps even move it around, then fly to it. But there are logistics to that. Can it sit for up to 12 months at a time? Does anyone know of storage where perhaps there is service to look after the RV? Does this sound crazy?

I know I can rent, but I don't like the idea. I want my own rig, I have a big Popup now here on the east coast and know it takes a while to customize, my wife likes to use just our own stuff.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
There are secure storage lots throughout the country that you can rent space in on a monthly basis. Many campgrounds also have storage space available for rent and the security may vary. Many of the campground owners live on site and you may get some added security from that as well. We have rented short term storage in that way and longer term as far away as 2000 miles from home with little problems as long as you do the proper storage items needed to handle the weather and varmit issues.

Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
I'm pretty confident I can find secure storage, but my bigger concern would be if it is realistic to let the rig sit for up to a year at a time...I don't own a motorhome but I would think it would have issues sitting for such a long time.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After sitting for a year, I would not expect to be able to hop into the coach and go. It needs to be exercised at least once a month, and a pre-flight check done and any issues resolved before you arrive. Might find a storage that offers these services or mobile RV service that would accomplish for you.

I know you don't want to rent, but I really think would be the best way to go. Maybe have a go-kit of all your own stuff you want and ship it ahead when ready to go for the trip(s).
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Many RV dealers offer 'enhanced storage' options.

A good friend of my father's bought, and kept, a motorhome in Florida. The dealer he used offered turn-key service, he'd drop it off, they added stabilizer and topped off the fuel tank, dealt with the FW, black & grey tanks, charged the batteries then disconnected them & then parked it in their storage area.

All he had to do was give them a weeks notice and it was ready & waiting for him. The cost of the whole years storage was far less than the gas to drive it 3,000 miles home & back.
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
Doesn't sound like the best of ideas to me. As mentioned there are always going to be issues when storing anything for that length of time. You might well find you spend most of your vacation time either getting things repaired or sitting along the side of the highway.

How will you deal with normal maintenance and service issues? When dealing with a repair person or garge you are at their mercy. You have to trust their judgement and accept their prices. Getting a second opinion would be difficult at best.

One big expense could be tires. They usually age out from lack of use at 6 - 8 years. The 22.5's on our motorhome cost in the $600.00 range. That's $3600.00 worth of rubber rotting in a storage yard for lack of use.

Another potential big expense is the generator. They should be run at 1/2 power for at least an hour a month. When they sit for long periods the slip rings corrode and may take out the brushes and possibly the armature when started (been there done that). Ours cost about $2400.00 to repair.

Then there's the possibility of roof and window leaks which won't be discovered until you go to pick it up. One last thing is the potential for vandalism. If the place you store it isn't judicious about inspecting your unit on a regular basis you may come back to find things broken or missing. Somehow I don't think you'de want to spend the better part of your vacation filling out police reports and insurance forms.

Renting could be a minor expense by comparison.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #7
I'm beginning to think this is a lost cause, this idea of mine. I guess I'll keep on the original idea of driving to the destination - all 2400 miles. It would likely be 6000 mile trip overall, but what the heck, I guess the trip is 1/2 the experience. The 2nd and 3rd trips across the plains is going to get real boring...did I say I have little kids?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
Freightliner Owners Club

I've been driving from NJ to areas out west since my kids were toddlers. The journey is definitely part of the experience! My boys are older and two are doing their own cross country trips this summer (separately) and the other is spending a month in Alaska.

I spend weeks getting my MH up to snuff before our first trip in the spring. I could not imagine having the rig a few thousand miles away. I store it 3 miles from my house and still have to put it in the driveway for a week before and a week after the trip for packing and cleaning.

Plus if you have the MH close to home, you will find yourself using it for some weekend trips, tailgating, extra bedrooms for visitors, etc.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You are right, the trip really is half of the experience. If you can't find a reputable dealer out there to store and maintain your unit, you are going to have to drive. Post #5 has the idea. I would call around and see what you can price out in the area you want to travel from. You could also hire someone to drive the unit out for you the first time and at least save the travel time on the way out......Good luck....
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
I found this place which looks pretty good:

Full Service Storage - Indoor RV, Auto, Boat storage in Utah, RV Storage Utah. Best rv storage ut. Best Storage Utah!

I'm still just researching at this point...