Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Remove and check ABS sensors

Could you please inform me how to remove and check our ABS sensors correctly on our 2004 W-22 WorkHorse chassis? I know at least one is not working. Thank you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you will call this toll free number: 1-577-542-9696 I will be glad to instruct you in how to remove and ohm your sensors.

Mutha (Glenn Norman)

Old 10-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Remove and check ABS sensors

Mutha, tried to call you at 1-577-542-9696 but could not connect on that phone number. Please reply.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:46 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel View Post
Mutha, tried to call you at 1-577-542-9696 but could not connect on that phone number. Please reply.
i suggest you check OEMY'S website for instructions.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:20 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced one on my 2004 W20. Here is a link with a picture of one still in the package: http://www.oem-engineering.com/products/brakeparts.html.
You will have to get under the MH, looking up toward ea brake. There should be MH attached clips holding the wire in place. Free up the wire and separate the black female plug end from the male plug coming from the MH. Simple pull, no clips or turning. The entire length if I recall is around 2 feet. The silver end is the sensor. It is held in place with a cage like clip. It is also lubed when installed and lube is supplied with a replacement clip with the new sensor.
Removing a damaged sensor was easier than checking and relubeing a good sensor. The damaged sensor had actually melted and fallen out of the hole leaving only the clip to remove. The good sensors were still in pretty tight and required a lot of twisting and pulling to remove. But, it should be a simple push in/pull out with no screwing or locking motions.
Since you know one is not working I suggest you pick one (or 2) up before proceding. The instruction sheet was complete and easy to follow.
Good Luck.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:23 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mutha (Glenn Norman)[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel View Post
Sorry, I have a TYPO in my phone number it is a Toll Free number: 1-877-549-9696. Please excuse the Fax Paux - !
Old 10-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #7

From my past experience, before you remove them, a simple way to check is to unplug each sensor. Use an ohm meter to measure resistance and compare all 4. Also check each wire to ground. They should read open. There will be a small variation from hi to low but a major difference in one will probably point to the culprit.

Before you reconnect each plug, flush with a good electrical contact cleaner and blow dry. If the plug is the 'Amphonol' Type,(the plug is molded of a softer material), use a little alcohol such as a little dry gas around the outside where they mate for easier assembly. If the connector is the 'GM' type, (hard plastic with a soft silicone seal), use a little dab of 'dielectric grease'

I can't over-emphasize, clean, clean, and clean. These wires carry such a small signal that it doesn't take much resistance at the connection to give the ABS system a false reading and set a code. The same situation on a light circuit, for example, would not have any adverse effects.

Good luck with your repair.