Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Remove "Yellowed" appearance of fiberglass exterior?

What a wonderful summer for Michigan RV'ing! We've thouroughly enjoyed our Fleetwood Providence, but the husband is wondering if any of you know how to remove the "yellowed" appearance of the white area of the fiberglass on the side of our motorhome? You can really see the difference between the white paint on the metal doors and the sides made of fiberglass. He's always washed it with a special car wash, and is now using one specifically made for RV's, but when you look at it closely - it looks as if we used rusty well water??? Any suggestions? His goal this winter, while it's in storage in our barn, is to make it bright white where it's supposed to be white. Maybe in the process, he can make the gray and gold sparkle, too? Thank you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #2

I can't comment on why it has yellowed. I also use car wash soap to wash and have no issue of yellowing. I have some fiberglass color restorer left over from my boat..It labels itself as "hull color restore" and it did a good job on my boat. I haven't used it on the RV so can't say it is helpful but I can't see why it would be harmful. I've seen color restore products in camping stores as well but have not yet used any. Does the RV spend a lot of time in direct sunlight?..perhaps your experiencing some UV issue?

Old 09-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All white plastics will turn yellow with age - fiberglass resin is just another form of plastic.
A good buffing with a polishing compound should help some but it may never get back to pure white like the painted areas.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post
What a wonderful summer for Michigan RV'ing! We've thouroughly enjoyed our Fleetwood Providence, but the husband is wondering if any of you know how to remove the "yellowed" appearance of the white area of the fiberglass on the side of our motorhome? You can really see the difference between the white paint on the metal doors and the sides made of fiberglass. He's always washed it with a special car wash, and is now using one specifically made for RV's, but when you look at it closely - it looks as if we used rusty well water??? Any suggestions? His goal this winter, while it's in storage in our barn, is to make it bright white where it's supposed to be white. Maybe in the process, he can make the gray and gold sparkle, too? Thank you!
I used Meguires (sp?) #49 oxidation remover and a power polisher with a follow up of #56 (Pure Wax) but, it did not restore the fiberglass to "white". Very much improved and really shines but I think the only way to white is paint. JMHO.
Richard
Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry to say, unlike Pepsodent, the yellow won't go away. I stripped my graphics and used a fiberglass buffing compound with a 7" buffer. It will bring back the shine but the yellow is still evident. How yellow it is is usually determined by age and sun exposure. I've seen some older Rvs that are almost golden.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Try "Poli Ox" by "Poli Glow"
Welcome to Poliglow Products - The Manufacturer for Over 15 Years!
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
We've only owned this diesel for a little over one year, but it spends all of it's "non use" time in a nice 44' X 18' barn built especially for it. It's stored in there all winter, too. I don't recall it being this "yellowed" when we bought it? When you look at it close, you can almost see streaks of yellow??? Just like it was washed with dirty water or something??? Hmmmmm.......................
Old 09-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unfortunately, the yellowing is simply due to age. The sunshine may accelerate the process but the yellowing process continues with or without the sun's rays.

I have 3 bathrooms in my house and when I installed the the ceiling vent/fans in each bathroom 18 years ago the plastic grills were bright white, Now they are dull yellow without a drop of sunshine ever touching them.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is a link to a product I used on my boat to remove oxidation. It made the fiberglass look better than new.

Mike

Aqua Buff Instructions
Old 09-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The yellowing is not oxidation as would be if the surface was "chaulking". Any buffing compound suitable for plastic or fiberglass will take care of oxidation. The yellow goes deep and remains after buffing.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote