Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 12:05 AM   #15

BTW Don, your previous post's info and pictures are great. The addition of the new headlights makes your coach look like new. We are hoping for a similar result with ours after we remove the film, get new headlights, and repaint the bases of our Velvac mirrors. Lots of projects!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
BTW Don, your previous post's info and pictures are great. The addition of the new headlights makes your coach look like new. We are hoping for a similar result with ours after we remove the film, get new headlights, and repaint the bases of our Velvac mirrors. Lots of projects!
Thanks your project is coming along great. Brings back memories of how pleased I was as this stuff came off and and underneath was this beautiful finish. The new headlights topped it all off. I hope yours will be easier to remove and install than mine was. Kep the pictures coming.

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #17

Falconman,
Not sure how to reply on a smart phone, hope you get this. We are also in Az, in Glendale. Could you tell me where you got the Auto Tech adhesive remover and the plastic razor blade? I have been using a plastic putty knife that wears down so quickly.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #18

We got the AutoTech product at Leading Edge Auto Paint and Supplies in Mesa on Country Club Drive. Leading Edge | Auto Paint Supplies - Phoenix, AZ & Las Vegas, NV Looks like they have locations in Phoenix and So. Phoenix as well. AutoTech referred me to the Flagstaff store, who told me the Mesa store had just opened. The new young guy at the Mesa store wasn't familiar with the product, but we found it on the shelves. It was in the $20-28 range - I can't remember the price exactly, I was just happy to find it close.

The plastic razor blades we are using are "General Purpose soft orange composite" double edged blades by Scraperite (plastic blades.com). Amazon carries them, too. We got two packs of 25 which comes with a holder, and a pack of 100 blades. We change the blades frequently. They are inexpensive, and a fresh blade makes a big difference. We will definitely go through all 150 of them, and may actually order more tonight. It's such an inexpensive part of the process and makes a huge difference. Take your time, be patient, be careful not to push too hard to prevent losing even control of the blade; no gouging accidents.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #19

Thank you so much for your help. I so appreciate it. The Hoover twin tank handheld steamer seems to work pretty good but the adhesive remover isn't , so will give yours a try. Also will order the blades. Again thanks!! Will keep you all posted as to progress.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks also to everyone who shared to all of the ideas and tips for removing the Diamond Shield or 3M film. It was a great help to me to profit from your experiences.

I just finished the process of removing Diamond Shield from my Dutch Star

Below are the tips that I used from both IRV and my own trial and error discoveries that worked best for me:

1. Remove the front hood and took it home to get the feel of the best technique for me to use for removal of the film followed by the adhesive. It was easier to work in my garage at home where it was more convenient and I had better lighting.

2. My coach had "Dutch Star" on the hood in raised letters which was applied on top of the Diamond Shield. At first I thought they we raised letters stamped into the fiber glass but it turned out the we just made out of rubber or vinal. They easily just pealed off. I reapplied them with contact cement after I completed the removal process. Time will tell but it appears they are a good as new.

2. As suggested, I used the Plastic razor blades I purchased at a local Autozone for $5 for 20 blades. The blades were inserted in a standard glass scraper you can purchase anywhere. I used about 10 blades that are two sided for 20 sides.

3. I used a heat gun sparingly to remove the film. I found the film melted pretty easily if it got it too hot and it was harder to remove if the film if it was melted. I think the suggested steamer would be better but I already had a heat gun so I used what I had.

4. I was unable to readily locate the 3M film remover or the suggested Autotech product. Instead, I used a gallon of Goof-Off from Home Depot to remove the adhesive along with a plastic razor blade in a hand scraper.

5. The technique that I found to worked best for me was to pour the Goof-Off in to a standard spray bottle, then I used the spray bottle to constantly spray the adhesive to keep it wet while I scraped it away with the plastic razor blade. As long as the adhesive is wet it just melted away with little effort.

6. When I had about 90% of the adhesive removed, I would use paper towels while continuing to keep the surface wet with the spray bottle of Goof-Off and just wipe off the remaining adhesive. It takes a lot of paper towels as once they are covered with the adhesive goo you need a new paper towel or you just spread the goo back on the surface.

My total time for the Diamond Shield removal was about 12 hours from start to finish. If had to do it over again I believe I could do it in about 8 hours as I spent a good amount of time doing trial and error while developing a technique that worked best with the materials I had on hand.

The good news is I lost no paint in the process and I am amazed with how good the coach looked when I finished.

I was surprised at how durable to paint on the coach was. I would have thought I would have scratched the paint with the use of the Plastic razor blades as I had to get pretty tough with the film to get it off.

I hope this helps someone else as I benefited greatly from others who shared their tips that worked for them.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
I removed mine a little at a time with Vinyl Off and plastic razor blades. I strached my paint a few places because i was tired and got careless but all in all it worked well. It took me a total of about 20 hours to get it all off.
Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:35 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought a "Whizzy Wheel" from Amazon to remove some bad decals on our Scottsdale. It was highly recommended on the Newmar Forum. Supposed to be very fast. I am waiting for better weather to use it. I have wondered if it would work on the mask?
Old 01-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #23

I just watched a youtube of the Whizzy Wheel. And it will probably work as shown on a decal. But Diamond Shield/3M are whole different animals.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #24

Well 3 days ago I started in on removing my Diamond Shield. After pulling & yanking and getting my fingers sore, I went down to Lowes this morning and bought a Wagner Power Steamer. Man, what a difference. In about 30min. I did about the same amount of removal as I did in the previous 3 days. And since I'll be sitting here til Apr., I've plenty of time to get it off. I got more than one quote of $700 to have it taken off. I'll just keep that money in my pocket.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Well 3 days ago I started in on removing my Diamond Shield. After pulling & yanking and getting my fingers sore, I went down to Lowes this morning and bought a Wagner Power Steamer. Man, what a difference. In about 30min. I did about the same amount of removal as I did in the previous 3 days. And since I'll be sitting here til Apr., I've plenty of time to get it off. I got more than one quote of $700 to have it taken off. I'll just keep that money in my pocket.
The steamer will make a big difference. What about some pictures.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:31 AM   #26

Not sure how to post pic's, never tried??