Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #1

Removing 3M mask from front of RV

Has anyone found a product to remove the 3M mask on front of coach?
I tried CrystalTek but it is a very, very slow process. Someone has scratched the surface with a scratcher when washing and so all of front is scratched/marred. The paint finish is not scratched.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you and Happy New Year!!

David Paul

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPaul View Post
Has anyone found a product to remove the 3M mask on front of coach?
I tried CrystalTek but it is a very, very slow process. Someone has scratched the surface with a scratcher when washing and so all of front is scratched/marred. The paint finish is not scratched.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you and Happy New Year!!

David Paul
There is no product available to "simply" remove the 3M paint protector. It can be done but it takes time, patience and labor. Here is a thread that I started on my 3M paint protector removal project with supply recommendations, tips and pictures. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress with pictures.

Another 3-M Paint Removal Project

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #3

As Don said, there is no "easy way" a few days with a heat gun, plastic razor blades, some sort of adheasive remover, and some cool ones if you are so inclined.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:09 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Again not a easy removal but one article I was reading suggested using a wallpaper steamer to remove the film. The guy that wrote the article was watching a team at a shop do it and they told him it was a bit safer than using a heat gun. The progress went good and the pieces of film seemed to come off a lot easier for some reason.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #5

My shield was Diamond Shield not 3M but not much difference. I removed mine the old fashioned way by using a scraper, like a Bondo scraper, but harder. I found that sunlight was the best heater. Not too hot but warm enough to soften the shield. Mid day sunlight is too hot. I used 3M solvent remover and scraped the residue with the scraper. This method works very well but is slow. I lost a few very small paint chips where rocks had hit the Diamond Shield, but not many. This takes a lot of time, so you are trading your time for cost savings.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Again not a easy removal but one article I was reading suggested using a wallpaper steamer to remove the film. The guy that wrote the article was watching a team at a shop do it and they told him it was a bit safer than using a heat gun. The progress went good and the pieces of film seemed to come off a lot easier for some reason.

Ditto on the wallpaper steamer. I personally saw it at work in Oct. in Wildwood, FL.. After the guys were done you'd never know that coach had Diamond Shield on it.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #7

Ramet how long did the steamer take on the RV in Wildwood?
Old 01-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtermini30 View Post
Ramet how long did the steamer take on the RV in Wildwood?

There were two guys doing it. Took them about 4 hrs., they also were using plastic scrapers.
And now yesterday I noticed the dreaded mold starting under my Diamond Shield. I'm pretty sure you can rent steamers from Lowe's or Home Depot, as soon as it warms up a bit I'm going to give it a try.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
And now yesterday I noticed the dreaded mold starting under my Diamond Shield.
My coach is now going into it's 9th year of service. Up thru year 8, I was thinking that my DS wasn't going to be a problem. This past year however, boy did something change. I'm now looking at removing mine this spring when I can go outside without sticking to a lamp post.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #10

Ramets

Could you tell me please what kind of steamer the 2 guys used that removed the 3M film in 4 hours? Also where can you purchase the 3M adhesive solvent?
Thank you Much!!
David Paul
Old 01-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Could you tell me please what kind of steamer the 2 guys used that removed the 3M film in 4 hours? Also where can you purchase the 3M adhesive solvent?
Thank you Much!!
David Paul
Don't really know about the solvent.. But the steamers were small, shaped like a pistol and seemed to work really well. I believe they were wallpaper remover steamers. I also read here recently about forming a pocket in the upper center, and pouring laquer thinner in it and letting it disolve the adhesive. I don't know about that because I have a custom paint job with 2 coats of clear. Before I'd do that I'd check with an auto body shop.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Thank you Much!!
David Paul
The one I used was a clothes steamer similar to this one from Walmart

Conair Compact Fabric Steamer - Walmart.com

You may be able to find the 3M solvent at a paint store or on line

On-line Product Catalog:*3M„ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, 08984, 1 Quart (US), 6 per case
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #13

We're in the middle of the process now. When we bought our 05 Dynasty in November, the film was already severely cracked, and some areas had quite a bit of mold. Removal was at the top of our list of winter projects. Luckily we're in AZ, so we can enjoy the weather while working (apologies to our chilly Nor-Easter members).

We're using clothes steamers and plastic razor blades to remove the film (step 1), then a spray adhesive remover to "melt", scrap, and finally rub the adhesive away (step 2). Slow going, but worth it. The paint is, so far, undamaged underneath and the mold is coming off with the adhesive. It's looking good so far.

We are removing the adhesive with "Quick n Easy Adhesive Remover" by AutoTech in Grants Pass, OR (recommending by a member on this forum - apologies that I can't recall the name at present). Auto Tech Manufacturing. I called AutoTech and they referred me to a local speciality auto paint shop in AZ that carried the product. Works great.

Some areas are easier to remove than others. Some areas seem to have thicker adhesive, some areas seem more "baked" by the sun. Some areas need repeated sprays of the adhesive remover to get through the thickness. But so far, so good.

I will try to add two pictures (may have to do it in another post from my laptop). One a close up and one further away of the same area. Going from right to left in the picture you'll see the cracked film, then the adhesive layer, then the cleaned up paint.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #14

Hopefully the pics will come through on this post...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3m_close.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	528.8 KB
ID:	54188   Click image for larger version

Name:	3m_full.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	492.4 KB
ID:	54189