Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Removing Bug Splat ??

My coach, like many others, has the protective plastic film on the front cap.......I assume this is there for paint protection but I'm not really enamored with the looks of it after only one year on the road. Bug splat and abrasive scratches in the film are very difficult to remove and I've tried just about everything.

My question for those that deal with cleaning this film, what do you use
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I've had good luck with Castrol SuperClean removing bugs, and lots of other stuff for that matter..."Purple Power" is pretty much the same stuff... But beware, this stuff is super-strong, it's basically oven cleaner in a gallon jug. It's a stupendous de-greaser. So good in fact that if you use it full strength with no gloves it'll suck all the natural oils out of your hands. It'll make white fiberglass yellow (it does go back to white)...

Anyway, the stuff seems to dissolve bugs too. Give it a try. With caution!
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #3

You might want to try "L A Totally Awesome" and a nylon dish scrubbie. Both available at Dollar Stores. Best thing to clean bugs, black streaks, and just about anything else off the fiberglass. Caution- if used at high strength levels it will remove ANY wax and may not be good on decals if left on too long.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use new or used dryer sheets. Wet them and rub.

Paul
pkendzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #5

Bounce dryer sheets wet and then rub just a bit. Bugs dissolve like magic! I follow witrh a shop towel and spray bottle of water to get off the white film the dryer sheets leave.

I can do a heavily covered front end below the windshield to the bottom of my DP in 15-20 minutes with no effort. A couple of dryer sheerts if it's really heavy.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Bug Splat

I just returned from a 3,000 mile trip and the bug guts were really bad. I used a black streak remover and it soaked it loose quickly. I was amazed at the way it worked. Just spray it on and let soak for a couple of minutes and it washes off.
J. Ingram is offline   Reply With Quote