Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2007, 04:16 PM   #15

HarveyP: Does this wheel have a name or a part number at NAPA? Sounds like something that could be very helful.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2007, 05:05 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Homer a quick google turned up "3M™ Stripe Off Wheel" - "Used to remove vinyl decals, striping tapes, and double sided foam tapes. Will not scratch acrylic enamal or urethane paint. DO NOT USE ON LACQUER PAINT"
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #17

Homer, I'm away from home now, but tell the Napa people what you're trying to do. Some bodyshop guys call it a vanilla wheel because it is white in color. You'll want the package with the wheel and the arbor to chuck it into your drill. Use a corded drill because it will eat up a cordless charge in no time. I had the most luck moving the drill so the wheel was constantly "biting" into the decal, for me that was from right to left. It will make a bad mark if you let it sit too long, but it isn't hard to get the feel. Good luck, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #18

This is the product I used to remove badly cracked decals from fiberglass on by old 87 Winnebago. Cost around $15.00 a can.

3M Woodgrain and Stripe Remover Part# 08907 + For removing woodgrain vinyl and vinyl stripes from acrylic enamel surfaces. + Jelly-like consistency keeps remover in place on vertical surfaces to promote fast action when sprayed from the aerosol can. + Saves on repair and repaint. + For removal of adhesive residue follow up with use of 3M Woodgrain and Stripe Adhesive Remover (PN08908).
Use a plasic scaper to remove the soften decals.

Do not use the 3M decal removing Wheels as this is a learned skill.

2005 Itasca 38R Suncruiser
Frank (Wires) & Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:12 AM   #19

Y-Guy, Harvey P, & Frank (wires) & Jean, thanks very much for your response to my question on removing stripes. I'm out on the road right now, but have saved your information and will look into it as soon as the weather breaks at home. Again thanks for the information.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:53 AM   #20

When i called bago they suggested using denatured alcohol to remove glue and sticky stuff..I have also heard of that wheel...

good luck
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:12 AM   #21

Peter Griffin, I tried the denatured alcohol and while it worked, it did not really remove it all. I had to follow up with a generous application of "Protect All" fiberglass rubbing compound to really get it all off.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:07 AM   #22

I am not getting paid to advertise. My MH was almost 18 months old. I was told to spray the old club decals with hair spray (just a cheap can will do). Let it set and then use hair dryer. Everything came off.

workingnoway
Workingnoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:30 AM   #23

i have also used a clay bar to get some tough stuff off...any hard scrubbing will show on the fiberglass sides...thanks for letting me know..
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:02 PM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Workingnoway:
I am not getting paid to advertise. My MH was almost 18 months old. I was told to spray the old club decals with hair spray (just a cheap can will do). Let it set and then use hair dryer. Everything came off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Workingnoway;

Did the decals come off in large pieces or did they break / tear really easily so it was labor intensive?
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:28 PM   #25

Richard; the old decals were coming off in pieces thus the use of hair spray. No hard rubbing. just consistant. I have no decals and all marks from the decals are gone. I went to a good motorhome wash like the one west of Tucson on I-10. Had the guys Wash the complete MH not just where the decals where placed.

Workingnoway
Workingnoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:58 PM   #26

Stripes or decals a year or two old should be pretty easy to remove. Just pick a sunny warm day and have patience with a heat gun or hair dryer. The eraser wheels or 3M Stripe and Decal Remover are OK for small jobs but would be a nightmare for a complete removal job. They are both expensive and make a gawdawful mess. There are also nylon razor blades that are available (you would be surprised at there effectiveness) if you don't trust yourself with an actual razor scraper.

A complete R and R of a unit more that a few years old is better left to someone specializing in that field. We,ve been doing this for a number of years now. It can really make a person proud of their rig again, but it is quite an undertaking for a DIY.

Good luck
striperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #27

About two years ago I started to all remove the decals on my Bounder. After trying a hair drier (mine was almost 10 years old so much more brittle) and getting about 18 inches done in 4 hours I decided to try a different route. I checked with a local auto paint store and they sold me a "rubber" wheel. (sorta looked like ad felt like an old art gum eraser only in a 6 inch wheel). This worked much better but after almost 30 hours of work I had one stripe removed all the way around.

I ended up taking it to a "stripes and graphics" shop that does RV's and auto's. Much more expensive but the results were worth it. The discoloration on the ugly brown Bounder was significant enough that I had to replace all the graphics.

Good luck on your project
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:54 AM   #28

hrhuggie: Thanks for the heads up on your experience. Fortunately I am only replacing one stripe at a time and hopefully not that many. Mine have started curling on the top edge. Cause may be from using a squeegee after washing. Stopped using squeegee.
My sincere thanks to all the fine folks that have offered their suggestion in response to my original post. One of them hopefully will lessen the task.