Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
removing old striping

I've got a busy weekend planned, lots of fix it projects on the motorhome. I'm re-tiling the floor, fixing cabinet hinges and fixing a minor leak over my bed that just showed up on my last (nonstop rain for three days) trip. I just ordered new graphics to update the old girl but have a question about getting the old stripes off. Got much of it off with a good powerwash but certain stripes just wont budge no matter what I do. Can I sand them off and if so what is the best way to do this withoput damaging the gel coat? I also need to remove some painted stripes that cover peices of glue residue. Looks good from a distance but want to do it right. Thanks for your help. Kathleen
decodancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some folks use a heat gun and a plastic scraper to remove the old vinyl stripes. It works well but leaves residual glue on the coach which requires a lot of rubbing with solvent soaked rags to remove.

The 3M Stripe Eraser mounts in a standard drill motor and "rubs" off the old stripe and leaves little or no adhesive behind. LOTS of folks seem to like it best.

Amazon.com: 3M Stripe Off Wheel 07498, 4 in x 5/8 in, w/Hardware - 7498AM: Home Improvement
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodancer View Post
I've got a busy weekend planned, lots of fix it projects on the motorhome. I'm re-tiling the floor, fixing cabinet hinges and fixing a minor leak over my bed that just showed up on my last (nonstop rain for three days) trip. I just ordered new graphics to update the old girl but have a question about getting the old stripes off. Got much of it off with a good powerwash but certain stripes just wont budge no matter what I do. Can I sand them off and if so what is the best way to do this withoput damaging the gel coat? I also need to remove some painted stripes that cover peices of glue residue. Looks good from a distance but want to do it right. Thanks for your help. Kathleen
I just removed mine with a blow dryer. Started the edge with a razor and it peeled off easily
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to NAPA and get some "3M Adhesive Remover".
Lakeman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #5

MEK

Methel-Ethel-Keytone
WORD OF WARNING be carefull with this stuff!

This is the solvent used in PVC pipe glue, it will soften plastics.

We used this stuff to remove the decals from our line trucks before we sold them off, it did not bother the paint back in the day, and we hod no plastics to worry about.

What you do is place some in a bowl, then with a paint brush just paint the decal tape, HAVE A HELPER.

The helper's job it to wipe any that drips down the side, it is not needed so a quick wipe avoids the mess.

Start low, you will need to learn how to properly apply as very little is needed.

It softens up the plastic based tape and after a little bit is peels off easy, the remains can be cleaned up with either MEK on a rag or with paint thinner or other cleaners.

This is available at better stocked paint stores, again, try a touch in a corner to insure it does not bother your paint or sidewall.

Oh, and I forgot, PURPLE gloves, get them at the same store you purchse the MEK, they will insure you get the correct gloves.
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:28 AM   #6

If your coach is a gelcoated exterior MEK will destroy it quick fast and in a hurry. I suggest the 3M "rubber" type eraser on your drill as mentioned above by Nick-B. You still have to be careful not to stay in one place too long or the heat produced by the friction will cause ghost lines in the gelcoat.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodancer View Post

Make sure you try the simple blow dryer before you try all this other stuff. It works extremely well. Do not put too much heat. Mine came off in minutes per stripe.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #8

My rv has old stripes and they are flakey now from the sun.. I'll try a small one to see about the heat gun approach but then where is the best source of new decals. I want something cool.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used a hair dryer and plastic pick, cleaned up the excess adheasive with rubbing alcohol-it worked.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote