Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2019, 06:07 PM   #1

Removing original sheet vinyl flooring

I'm planning a project of replacing the sheet vinyl flooring in our 2014 Thor Hurricane with luxury vinyl planking. Does anybody have any experiences removing the old sheet vinyl without damaging (too much anyways) the plywood or OSB I'm likely to find underneath?

I thought I would just cut it into strips and then use a heat gun to loosen the adhesive beneath. I know could play the new floor on top of it, but I'd like to keep the weight down.
Fairfieldwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #2

Seems like alot of work to reduce 20lbs of wt.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #3

I just watched a friend of mine do this. You are not going to know much about it until you get into it and see how it was laid and if there is any water damage. The portion of the floor that was covered by carpet was far easier that the part covered by vinyl as it was glued and the sub floor came with it. you will most likely have to do some repair filling and leveling.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #4

Seems like leaving it, would be a good vapor barrier unless it's all puckered up.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:58 PM   #5

That's why I like this forum. A little dose of reality is always helpful. So you're right. It probably does only weigh 20 lbs. Plus it's stuck down really well, smooth and clean. It would make a great underlayment for a new floor and make the whole job easier, faster and cleaner. It stays. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Seems like alot of work to reduce 20lbs of wt.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a slide that comes in over the floor you want to cover then the thickness of the original flooring plus your new floor may be thick enough that the slide will scrape on it.

Be sure there is sufficient clearance before installing your new floor over it.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
If you have a slide that comes in over the floor you want to cover then the thickness of the original flooring plus your new floor may be thick enough that the slide will scrape on it.

Be sure there is sufficient clearance before installing your new floor over it.

As a test, you could lay down a couple of new floor pieces, then bring the slides in and see if they rub or move any.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:17 AM   #8

There's no carpeting in that area of the MH. But there's a rubber sweep on the slide that covers the gap on the main coach floor. There's tons of gap-space when I lift the sweep up. I'm going with a luxury vinyl plank that's 1/4" thick. It will be perfect.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:42 AM   #9

Please post before and after pictures. Good luck with the project, we have been very happy with our vinyl plank floor installed 6 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flooring.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	269071  
Old 12-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You will love it. Here is a picture of mine almost finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FloorEnhanced.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	269177  
Old 12-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #11

This fall we removed carpeting and put plywood underlayment down. Put a primer made for flooring on the plywood and layed place and press floor tile down. We wanted to make sure the tile had good adhesion.
oilman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
That looks great. Nice work!
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Really nice, yeloduster. It looks like you chose Pergo floating. You'll be coming back with quarter-round trim?
Old 12-12-2019, 07:24 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
That looks great. Nice work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfieldwiz
Really nice, yeloduster. It looks like you chose Pergo floating. You'll be coming back with quarter-round trim?
Thanks for compliments!

It is indeed Pergo. Pergo intended it to be floating but I chose to staple the perimeter. This is the second motorhome I installed the Pergo flooring in.
I stapled the first one's perimeter as well. The interior temperature when the motorhome is in storage varies from a few degrees below zero to ~110° and after several years of use neither motorhome experienced problems with buckling or separating. You're correct Fairfieldwiz when you mentioned quarter-round. That was the only thing left when the picture was taken.

Tags
floor, flooring, vinyl