Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Removing Silicone Calk Residue from Diamond Shield

I had to replace my driver side windshield washer mounting assembly. The new piece left a very small gap above it so I used a some silicone to seal that gap up. In the process I managed to get some silicone around the mounting piece but didn't see it until it was all dried up. This is a very thin residue covering a few square inches but noticeable.

I have tried denatured alcohol and lint free cloth but that doesn't seem to be doing much.

Looking for any suggestions on how to remove it.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #2

Acetone would be my go-to for that, but I don't have a good sense of what your base material is. That will profoundly affect the level of chemical aggression you want to try.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:56 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
3M Adhesive remover. Does not attack paint or gelcoat and makes cleaning up seams easy!
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Try rubbing it off with your thumb. Works when I get extra where I don't want it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civdiv99 View Post
Acetone would be my go-to for that, but I don't have a good sense of what your base material is. That will profoundly affect the level of chemical aggression you want to try.
I have that Diamond Shield covering so I do need to be careful with anything scratching it. OTOH...I have to be a bit concerned of something being too "chemical aggressive".
Old 09-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRuth View Post
3M Adhesive remover. Does not attack paint or gelcoat and makes cleaning up seams easy!
I got some of that now but will wait till tomorrow. The instructions caution about using it on a hot surface and the sun is making it pretty warm.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well...I guess I have a bigger problem. LOL

A few weeks ago we were on the road and a truck hauling hogs passed us and then moved into our lane. Shortly after they hit their brakes for a car on the side of the road and I did the same. I was slowly backing away when they cleared the car and started to accelerate. At this point I was about 200' behind when out of the back of the trailer came a river of...you know what!

Well...it appears I didn't do a good enough job cleaning up and I now have pits in the Diamond Shield...all over it. The slight blemish caused by the caulk might become a minor issue over time.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:45 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Don,

Believe it or not, I just installed new shower doors (2 days ago) at the S and B and I used flour and water mix to remove the old silicone. I had to use something non-chemical so it wouldn't bother my DW. Listen, it worked!! Google it. Try to remove as much as possible first by scrapping or whatever. It took a couple applications to remove it all. Thin layer and let it dry then scrape off. That seemed to be the key. Mix the water and flour to a paste like consistency and apply. It worked pretty good or I would not be recommending.

HERE:
http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-i...e-caulking.htm
Old 09-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Years ago when I worked for a window co. We used 90% isopropyl rubbing alcohol to remove dried silicone from the glass and frame. The 70% did not work
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Well...I guess I have a bigger problem. LOL

A few weeks ago we were on the road and a truck hauling hogs passed us and then moved into our lane. Shortly after they hit their brakes for a car on the side of the road and I did the same. I was slowly backing away when they cleared the car and started to accelerate. At this point I was about 200' behind when out of the back of the trailer came a river of...you know what!

Well...it appears I didn't do a good enough job cleaning up and I now have pits in the Diamond Shield...all over it. The slight blemish caused by the caulk might become a minor issue over time.
The traumatic memory has clearly affected your ability to adequately emoticon the full picture. Here, let me help.......

There, that fills in the blanks I think.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:54 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civdiv99 View Post
The traumatic memory has clearly affected your ability to adequately emoticon the full picture. Here, let me help.......

There, that fills in the blanks I think.
Still sitting here LMFAO! Well...at least my day starts with a laugh! Now I have to plan to remove the DS and I suspect the cooler temps approaching might make that more difficult. I have a thread on that...