Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-22-2009, 05:46 AM   #1
What have you experienced on removing snow or ice from the top of your slides. Guess you can get on top of the mh, but not such a great idea. Most of our slides have a cover over them but the one side where the awning is does not.

This is the first time for us in the snow covered mh. Here in Foxboro,Ma. we now have about 18in. of snow on the ground. We are hoping that in the next few weeks some will melt and if we plan correctly we might get a break to pull out and head south.

How would you get it off?

2007 Newmar Dutch Star 4324
2008 Jeep Wrangler
Happymi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Garden hose and a step ladder, then position the front of the motorhome to face south, place gear shifter to "D" and depress gas pedal firmly.

2008 HR 340 Cummins, Vacationer XL
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Happymi,
For the slides with a topper I have gotten on the roof and swept the snow off. I have also just retracted the slides and let it fall off. If the topper is not frozen, just retract the slides.

For the slide without a topper, there is no choice, get on a ladder or up on the roof and sweep or shovel the snow off. In the future, consider (if possible) extending your awning just enough to cover the slide. The snow will accumulate on the awning and easly fall off when the awning is retracted. I always have the awning extended when the topperless slide is out. The awning eliminates almost all foreign matter from getting on top of the slide.
If you do this, make sure you close the slide before retracting the awning.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Just for the fun of it, one warm day 40 degrees. I climbed on top of the MH and took the snow shovel with me. I found about six inches of ice on all the slides and awnings. I got a freeze burn on my seat, but I got most of the ice off. I went back up on another warm day 60 degrees and got the rest off with the help of more snow equipment. I was happy to get all of the snow and ice off. Three days later we got another three inches of snow. I am happy to know that it was not as bad as I had imagined that it would be. So now I won't worry about the snow and ice. I will just stay ahead of it and will be ready to leave when we want to with only a few hours of preparation because of ice and snow.

Thanks for your help.
2007 Newmar Dutch Star 4324
2008 Jeep Wrangler
Happymi is offline   Reply With Quote