Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Frankdamp - please don't get fooled by that 'fibeerglaass polish nonsense. Unless your coach came from the factory unpainted, you will be polishing PAINT, not the fiberglass. That ' fiberglass polish' stuff is just marketing slime. I found Maguires to work well without killing my arm for 3 days. There are lots of other good polishes, too. but they all polish your paint, which is what they are supposed to do.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with rehydration and the quicker the better, but if you add a little soda to the water it will neutralize the acidic remains of the 'love bug' and lessen the potential damage to your finish.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #17

Soak them with Coke, the drink dummy, then hose them off. After seeing what that stuff does to bugs I'm not sure I want to swallow it.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #18

A couple days a go on our way to Oregon we pulled into a campground just off I 90 in Montana . I was getting ready to clean the bugs off the front of our Adventurer when another coach pulled in. The owner noticed what I was about to do and offered a suggestion. He had a can of SC Johnson's Scrubbing Bubbles Shower Cleaner. I sprayed a little water on the front of the coach then some Scrubbing Bubbles on the windshield and front end. I waited about a minute then just rinsed it off. The bugs just melted away. I was shocked how well and how quickly it worked.

I went to the SC Johnson website to check it out and the product is recommended for Fiberglass, glass, stainless steel, chrome, vinyl, and a number of other surfaces.

Here's a link to the product : Bathroom Cleaner - Scrubbing Bubbles® Foaming Bathroom Cleaners

Next time we get to the grocery store I'm definately going to buy a can.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
What I use is the least expensive hair shampoo. It will remove polish
Joe Ka6bud
ka6bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Scrubbing Bubbles is the best stuff since sliced bread. Try it on an old pair of sneakers or a carpet stain.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Scrubbing Bubbles works very well to remove bugs. But it also removes all of the wax and polish. It is used by body shops as prep to repaint.
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #22

when i owned an autoparts store we sold a sponge with a heavy netting wrapped around it. and the auto detailers i talked to always told me HOT(<<that is the trick) soapy (use tide) water for both bugs and tree sap. lather it on and let it soak for as long as you can. reapply if you need to. then they just wipe off. has worked for me thus far. those sponges can be bought at a NAPA store but you should be able to find them most anywhere.
dalek_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Bugs on front of Motor Home?
I live in Florida, capital of Love Bugs. Found the best course of action is prevention. When they are out, I spray front of MH with kitchen " PAM " the no-stick fry pan spray. Then, they simply wash off bugs easily. I would suggest first trying a small area to make sure I does'nt react with your finish
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Love Bug Prevention

Living in Southwest Florida, love Bugs can be a real problem at times. I found that prevention is better than trying to scrub them off. On vulnerable areas in the front, I spray "PAM" the anti-stick fry pan cooking spray on these areas and the bugs just hose right off. Check out a small area first to make sure it is OK with your finish. My doctor uses it on his BMW, and told me about it.
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We too use the magic erase...works wonders on bugs and nothing abrasive about it....
texaspenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #26

try Pledge furniture polish! I used to use it on the windshield and front end of my motorcycle fairing and it worked great. It removes the bugs and leaves a nice slippery shine without being greasy.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #27

combo

I agree with several ideas here. The front of my rv is a combo paint and gelcoat. I have polished and waxed it to a nice shine. I always wash my rv in the shade or on a cloudy day. I have a 2 gallon sprayer that I mix a hefty solution of water with Oropine Boat Soap With Wax (available at West Marine). When I am ready to wash, I coat the front with the sprayer solution for a few minutes - hydration combined with the action of the best soap I could find for boats or rv's. Fla. bugs can't even hold on. Then I hit it with the Meguire's Spray wax in between trips. Seems like a lot, but there is no bug containation on the front and washing is very easy. I reapply past wax 1 - 2 times per year based on use.
Tyme4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #28

Don't laugh, but being from the south Love bugs are a real issue. My wife is orginally from Ca. She thinks Mississippi/Alabama is the bug capital of the world. What works for me, is a small bucket, a liter of diet coke and a soft sponge. Wet the bugs with the sponge soaked in the coke and then they just rinse off with water.
bobbyl is offline   Reply With Quote