Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2011, 06:00 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Removing Tree Branch Marks

G'morning:

Say, from time to time some of us get those dang rub marks on the outside of our rigs from tree branches. The ones I'm talking about are NOT scratches or gouges, but those rub marks in our gel coat finish, etc.

Has anyone found a good way to remove such rub marks without permanently leaving a very noticeable scrub mark along the length of where the branch left a mark???

I know it probably depends on the type of finish we might have on our respective rigs, but there must be a way to remove these darned tree branch rub marks. Ya think???

Steve & Lynette
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
paz

Meguiar's fiberglass polish will work well to remove minor scuffs from gel coat. Order directly from Meguiar's or look in a marine supply. Automotive polishing compound will probably also work.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Any good grade of polish (not just a wax) should rub them out, with the addition of a fair amount of elbow grease, of course. If it is indeed gel coat and not painted, you want a fiberglass restoration polish. Boat stores often have some good ones, since oxidation of marine gel coat is a continual problems.

If it is painted (which includes clear coated fiberglass), you probably want an automotive type polishing compound, designed for paint rather than gel coat. I usually use Nu Finish to rub out spots on my painted rig - it has a bit more polishing action than my regular "shine" finish products. Anything labeled "finish restorer" or "brings back color" is probably a good polishing compound.

You may want to go over it with your regular "shine it up" wax product after using the restorative polish.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Say, Gary:

Yup, you're right, it is painted, not gel-coat, so I was hesitant to use some kind of rubbing compound. Was hoping to hear of some product that might sort of dissolve the the rub mark caused by the tips of branches without making the rubbed area stand out more. They're really not scratches as far as I can tell, but that mark left by residue from budd tips of branches, leaf stems or other soft branch material. Guess I'll try that "finish restorer" type of stuff on a small hidden spot first.

Thanks for your help.

Steve
Old 10-04-2011, 05:55 AM   #5

Use polish, not rubbing compound. As Gary said, polish and elbow grease will do it.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:13 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
Use polish, not rubbing compound. As Gary said, polish and elbow grease will do it.
X2 for polishing compound. Rubbing compound is too coarse. A random orbital buffer makes it much easier.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I just got a nasty tree rub while in an older park that wasn't favorable to our rig size.It looked terrible! That said I used Mothers scratch remover. Took some rubbing but removed easier than I first thought. I waxed where I rubbed, and looks great.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:05 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks ALL: Good advice. Now I gotta go a shopping for polish.

Thanks again.

Steve