RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2017, 10:49 PM   #43

ice maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by manike View Post
A long post but I have a lot to report back.

So we had our first trip out last weekend and went camping at Castaways in Maryland (nice campsite and we will go back there again).

The drive down surpassed all of my expectations. Driving this thing is fantastic. I'd say it was probably easier for most of the trip than if we had taken my truck. It's hard to compare it to the Thor we had before, other than to say I wish I had made the step up as soon as I did my first cross country trip. Now I am actually looking forward to driving over to Illinois in May.

Had a few issues that need to be addressed with the RV. That's the whole purpose of the shakedown trip. I tried to use as much of the functionality as I could. I dropped it back with the dealer for them to go through it for me.

I got the seat better set up, but with my height if I have it aired up enough to avoid bottoming out I am looking through the dirty part of the top of the windscreen which isn't cleared by the wipers. They are going to have a look and see if there are any options to help me with that, or if it's just another one of those things I have to deal with from being tall.

As we left for our way home, I noticed a slight juddering in the steering when taking smooth corners at 30mph+. Almost like something was rubbing/scrubbing. I didn't notice it on the way down so not sure if it is me or not. Couldn't see any obvious issue when I stopped to check it.

Biggest disappointment of the weekend is that the Icemaker didn't work Had to have a G&T that was cold, but no ice. tsk tsk. I absolutely love the huge fridge though, and that alone will make life easier on our big trips where we dry camp for pretty much a full week.

Blew the breaker on the Main Cabin AC. It appears to have been wired to the Dryer breaker (15amp instead of 30amp). Took me a while to work that out, until I went and turned on the Dryer with the labelled breaker "off"...

Electric hot water heater didn't seem to want to work at the start of the weekend. It might have been at the end, but I am not sure if the water was still hot from the propane heater. They are going to check that out and I will test it more once I have it home.

Stereo/back up camera wanted to go to initial set up again every time the key was removed from the ignition. Pretty annoying. It also froze at one point on the trip which necessitated a reboot and bring out my Sams club RV GPS (which I actually really like, and will probably keep out even though it's not the nicest of sights attached to the windscreen).

I did wire up the CB, other than not being able to get my hands in for the bolt on the far side of the bracket (wife helped out there) it also seemed to be set up nicely in the space, but the unit was telling me there were antenna issues. Double checked the install and all looks good, so going to have that checked out. Taking off the facia was not as easy as it could have been. I took a few photo's and will post them up so others don't have as much difficulty as I did.

Got the ScanGuage D... and the connector is awful and dropped off. It also caused the brake warning to come on and a relay to cycle when it was plugged in so I removed it. Contacted the company and they said they have a updated connector and software for the unit for these vehicles and they sent me out a replacement very quickly. I commend them on that. However the replacement unit was the same connector with some self tapping screws that you use to bite into the one on the RV, and the heads are at locations that are impossible to get to to tighten... Also once plugged in, I got the same warnings. Pretty disappointed with it, so I will be returning it completely. Is anyone else using one of these on a 2017 Freightliner chassis?

Wife hated the master mattress so already ordered and received a 3" Foam topper to try out. She even gave me go ahead to get a new mattress at some point if that doesn't work out (must have really hated it). There's a good chance I will get a Sleep Number one in the future, as I mentioned before, my experience with them was so good. I ordered a King mattress which is going to overhang by 5". I am hoping closing the slide just pushes it up and I can keep the extra length... if Not I will cut it down to size.

Wife agreed the center console situation is not good, and after the fourth time a water bottle fell out of the cup holder, agreed that we should get the center console module, so I am about to order one of those...

And then when we got home and lowered the passenger window to help negotiate down the drive, the window came off the tracks and wouldn't go back up. Glad it happened at home rather than at the camp site. Was a loose bolt on one part of the track so an easy fix.

So a bunch of little issues, but nothing that should be too tough to get taken care of quickly and easily. With something of this size, complexity it's not that surprising. How the dealer takes care of these things is always of the biggest importance to me.
My ice maker did not work at first. There is a shut off valve in the compartment above it next to the antenna on/off switch in the Left rear corner. You will need a stool to get up there to find it. any way that was what was wrong with ours.

chuckbramha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputybubba View Post
Wow, awesome report !
I haven't gotten the backup camera to give me sound yet, does anyone know if it has audio ?
everything I turn up the knob when the camera is on I get music..
not thrilled with the kenwood unit yet, I have yet to figure out how to just turn it off, I always have to lower the volume all the way.
I need to spend more time with the head unit to get to know it. I'm not overly impressed with it either, but I haven't been with many similar units over the last 10+ years. I sometimes feel like they try to put too much into them rather than make a quality unit that does the things it needs to, and does them well. I see the remote control for the camera switching, but didn't yet get to work out how to see the camera views on the head unit while driving (so I can watch my trailer or toad).

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputybubba View Post
And THANK YOU for the Scanguage D review, I had this on my list to order but now I think I might wait.
I'm hoping someone else has had better luck and will report in on it. I've been busy but plan to call the company today and see what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbramha View Post
The electric entrance door lock did not work. called the manufacture of the lock Assy and they over nighted an new lock assy. Still had troubles with door hanging up on the striker. The dealer is ordering a new lock assy.
Our door lock is quite finicky also. In order to get it to lock or release you have to apply pressure at the latch to relieve the side load on the lock. Was a pain to get it open before we worked that out, but works reliably now that we do (would rather not have to as it's not so easy for my Mother with arthritis in her hands). I think it's the rubber door seal pushing back so much on the lock mechanism that makes it hang up. I was considering trying some sort of lubricant on the dead bolt itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbramha View Post
My ice maker did not work at first. There is a shut off valve in the compartment above it next to the antenna on/off switch in the Left rear corner. You will need a stool to get up there to find it. any way that was what was wrong with ours.
Good info. I looked for one, but only in the compartments below and to the side! I never thought it would be above it! That's good information and something I wish the dealer had told me or that had been in the handbook with the instructions for the fridge. I read through them and didn't see any mention of it. Now I want to drive over to the dealer and look for it again... I am supposed to get it back today or tomorrow morning anyway. We plan a test camp Saturday night before going away next Thursday for a long weekend.

manike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #45

Oh and I ordered the Build 5 Fabrication center console Did anyone here wire it in themselves? Any information on the easiest/closest power to connect into would be useful.
manike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #46

You might want to look at VmSPC. I had one of these in my last bus instead of the Scanguage D, and gives more info etc. Will probably get it for the Verona.

VMSpc | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #47

Has anyone installed air dump valve for the rear suspension. That would make it alot easier to level.
Joe II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by manike View Post
Oh and I ordered the Build 5 Fabrication center console Did anyone here wire it in themselves? Any information on the easiest/closest power to connect into would be useful.
My Build5 center console arrived however I have not run it yet. I sent ragoodsp an email per his request with my number as I was hoping to receive some photos of his install and fuse box placement. Aaron at Build5 provided this link http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...d-38184-5.html where install is discussed.

Keep us posted!
mooseknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:54 PM   #49

No air dump installed here...did have freightliner install their tire inflator kit....I did not ask the cost (should have!) and was shocked that it was over $800! It does come with three ports, one in the engine compartments and the other two in front of each rear tire, conveient for sure but it should be atthat price! Did get some very nice molded floor mats from Raney Truck supply (just like Weathertech models) so I do not have to worry about messey diesel getting tracked into the coach. Guess that is it for now.
ragoodsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #50

Good ol' Freightliner dealer sticker shock, never seems to fail. Good call on the mats! I have these. Freightliner 108SD Floor Mat | Floor Liners | Minimizer
mooseknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:39 AM   #51

Minimizers are what mine are as well with a small Raney's logo embedded. For the record (again) aprevious poster was 100% correct, we can not get gas heat out of the rear zone. If it shows up on the T-stat (mine did) you can go thur the reprogram sequesnce and remove that mode from zone 2.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post
You might want to look at VmSPC. I had one of these in my last bus instead of the Scanguage D, and gives more info etc. Will probably get it for the Verona.

VMSpc | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.
So this option would require a laptop or tablet, correct ?
I did like the small size of the Scan D

Don't know if I want to put in a tablet

Thanks
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragoodsp View Post
Joe ll......I would have to say it is just to early for me to pass honest judgment on the durability of any of the hardware utilized in the Verona since I really have not had a chance to use the coach much and now the poor thing is sitting in this artic freeze and looks like and ice cake! I will say all of the hardware is of much better quality compared to the Monaco products I have had in the past. I just appreciate the small stuff like the double latches on the bulk head doors that makes them fit very tight with no wetness what's so ever in the bulkheads after the heavy rain we have had. I like the finish of the woodwork in that it is just not stapled up like most coaches, I like the fact that I have no rattles or squeaks like I have had with all of my other coaches. I have yet to find anything loose or installed incorrectly and I have been over the coach from top to bottom. The only issue I have is the lack of storage bins, cubbys or whatever in the cab area and I have found nothing on the web to address cab storage. You do hear that big ISL in the cab, no where near as quite as a DP but at 65MPH it smooth's out and hits its sweet spot. The cab seats are comfortable with the air suspension but I do think for the money they could find better seating options that would give driver/passenger more control over the seat positioning. I am a very critical individual and to date the Verona surpasses my expectations. best of luck.
Ron, if you haven't found this before, here is what I just ordered to solve the cubby shortage and more.

Renegade Verona, Valencia, & Explorer Center Console: Build 5 Fabrication
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #54

Thanks Ziggy, I ordered one some time ago and had Freightliner wire the two power ports hot all the time. Nice console that is worth every penny an made in USA