Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Fly to Anchorage and rent. Then you will have a whole month to see Alaska. The way you are planning it, you will be lucky to have a week in Alaska, and that is not nearly enough time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #16

Wow look at the route plotted by google maps. And this is the most direct route with no site-seeing
factored in. 3600 miles one way.

7200 miles / 8 mpg = 900 gallons fuel x $4 = $3600 minimum fuel cost

30 days x 3 meals x 5 people x $7 = $3150 meals

30 days x $25 (average) campground fees = $750

7200 miles / 30 days = 240 miles/day. But in reality would probably drive closer to 600 miles/day
To get there in a reasonable amount of time.

Rent the luxury diesel pusher .....it's the only coach that will make this trip seem fun instead of torture !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4104132687.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	597.5 KB
ID:	54320  

Old 01-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hitting it pretty hard my friend and I were able to make it from Anchorage to Middletown, Ohio in 11 days. 1 day spent sightseeing. It's a long drive and the bulk of it is spent averaging 40 to 45 mph on the Alcan. Don't under estimate the time the Alcan will add to your trip.

Our previous trip from Anchorage to Chicago, we took turns driving and sleeping and made it to Chicago in 84 hours. Not the way to see the sights but we had to be back to Anchorage for work.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:01 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveUpp View Post
I am planning a one month trip to Alaska from Chicago in a MH. I had only considered renting until I spoke with a dealer at an RV show. He suggested that due to the high cost of renting for such a long distance and long duration trip that we might be better off buying a used RV for the trip and then selling it again when we got back. I'm looking for opinions and things to consider about buying vs renting. I can think of lots of positives and negatives, but I wonder what those of you with a lot of RV experience would recommend. This trip is not only to see various national parks and on the way to Alaska, but is also a trial run for my wife and I who are considering full-time RVing when we retire in 8-10 years. This trip, all three of our kids (21, 19, 14) will come along with us. One of my concerns is that I don't really don't want to own/store/maintain a MH until we're ready and able to utilize it after I retire. I'm not at all opposed to buying one for the trip as long as I won't find it difficult to sell it when we return. What should I consider in making this decision?
I've lived in AK for 60 yrs and driven the "Highway" 20 times. A one month round trip from Chicago could make you hate RV'ing. It will seem like all you are doing is driving, driving, driving. Fly up and rent an RV - you'll enjoy it much,much more!
'04 Journey 36 with 330 Cat towing a '14 Sonic hatchback 1.4 liter turbo 6 spd. '16 Subaru Outback at home in Vancouver WA, plus a few other toys up at our remote cabin in Alaska's Talkeetna Mountains.
corprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
I found that the biggest problem with taking a 4 week vacation was I didn't want to go back to work afterwards.
Isn't that the truth! My wife has been off work most of last year, won't possibly be released til March 1st of this year and keeps telling me she doesn't want to go back because of the way she was treated last time she went in. They created a new computer program, gave her no training with it, her supervisor took two weeks vacation without letting my wife know then they told my wife that she had two weeks to learn the program but there was no one to teach her!! Then the boss complained about her not doing her job! The two years before she got a $25,000 bonus each year for her good work. Just doesn't ring true!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:36 AM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by corprimo View Post
I've lived in AK for 60 yrs and driven the "Highway" 20 times. A one month round trip from Chicago could make you hate RV'ing. It will seem like all you are doing is driving, driving, driving. Fly up and rent an RV - you'll enjoy it much,much more!
I'd have to agree, too far to go in only four weeks!
7,200 miles in 15 days is 480 miles per day with no stopping anywhere and just turning around to return once you get there. I've done 800 in a day, but I was driving our DSDP alone and needed to make time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:56 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Too far to go.

While we were working we limited our trips from California to the states west of the Mississippi.

Wait until you retire to drive roundtrip to Alaska.

Remember there are two seasons....winter and Road Repair Season. I suspect there will be some delays while they are working on the roads to Alaska.

For many reasons I don't think buying is a good idea.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #22

There are circumstances where buying/selling could be a better option than renting but this isn't one of them. With your time limitations and experience level renting is the way to go on this trip.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #23

I don't know first hand but just what I've herd is you buy something cheap and go to Alaska and dump it when you get home because it will be beat to death.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I don't know first hand but just what I've herd is you buy something cheap and go to Alaska and dump it when you get home because it will be beat to death.
No No not true, the Alcan is not nearly as bad as people want you to believe.

Sure the stretch through Destruction Bay is rough and there will be some construction during the late spring and summer.

I've driven my class C and class A up and down the Alcan, down in the winter (Novemebr) and up in the spring April. My greatest damage was a bolt that vibrated loose in my steps.

There will be areas of chip seal where rock damage is possible.

Watch for orange cones or flags on the side of the road, they mark unprepared frost heaves. Frost heaves can truly ruin your day.

I can't prove it but my opinion is that the Canadians do a much better job with flagging the unprepared frost heaves better than we do. Go Canadians!

Go slow where necessary, don't pass oncoming vehicles at 60 and your windshield should be fine.

Now the haul road is a different story, save that for your next visit.

Be sure to grab a copy of The Milepost. It lists every mile of your journey from the lower 48, through Canada and all of Alaska. Not necessary to buy the latest edition if you get a good deal on something say 2009 or newer.

It has all the stops, warnings, places to see, things to do, history, nostalgia, etc...

I saw in an earlier post your were thinking about Banff, while Banff is nice, Lake Louise is the place to see.

Enjoy
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Fly to Anchorage and rent. Then you will have a whole month to see Alaska. The way you are planning it, you will be lucky to have a week in Alaska, and that is not nearly enough time.
X2 With all the sightseeing you want to do a month in a motorhome would get you comfortably to Seattle and back to Chicago. To Anchorage and back would be the vacation from Hell.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #26

Since you've never used an RV before let alone own one how would you know what to buy? Secondly you're taking a huge chance on getting something that won't cost more in maintenance and repairs than the initial cost. Add to that the fact that you may decide you don't like the lifestyle and you've poured a pile of money down the drain. You'll also have a big chunk of your driveway occupied by something you may never use again.

We rented both class A's and class C's before making the decision to buy anything. By doing that we already knew whether it was something we would like to continue doing, and what we wanted and what we could live without.

Renting a mid sized class A usually costs about $1,000.00 per week plus mileage and insurance. It's not cheap, but then again if you decide you didn't like it you just pay for the trip and never look back.

A friend of ours purchased a used motorhome for the sole purpose of joining an 8 week caravan through Alaska. It was inspected by a reputable mechanic before the purchase but there were a number of things he couldn't guarantee would last. As luck would have it all the "marginal" pieces failed on the trip and some took out others along the way. She spent more money on repairs than the unit was worth, and more time trying to catch up with the group than actually enjoying the scenery and visiting interesting places.

With the limited time span you intend to travel can you afford days or weeks in a repair shop waiting to get back on the road? In the long run spending $10,000 or $12,000.00 to rent something could save you money. At least you'll know whether you'll ever want to buy one, and if you do what amenities you would like to have.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #27

Thanks everyone for your responses... Many different perspectives here and a lot of good information. Thanks for everyone's input.

We haven't made any decisions yet. This is a real conundrum. I've got a lot of decisions to make. Fortunately we've got quite a bit of time to figure it all out.

The comments clearly favored renting vs buying... and many folks recommended flying and renting there. My DW feels that the drive will be just as enjoyable as the destination. I think the best thing to do is to study more about what we want to see in Alaska and then fit that into the time available whether we fly in or we drive up.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveUpp View Post
My DW feels that the drive will be just as enjoyable as the destination.
Remember this: if you want a chance at enjoying the driving (and in your case, MANY miles of it) You simply
MUST rent a diesel pusher ! with a diesel, you can have an easy time talking, as the noise of the engine is 40 feet behind you!
With a gas unit, the engine is sitting right between the cockpit seats, and will be loud. The diesel also will have air bag suspension, which gives a very soft almost limousine like ride. With a gas rig, it just has springs like a big truck....imagine riding 7000 miles in a UPS delivery truck ! A diesel pusher with a tag axle means more stability and less chance of the rig being affected by side winds, or other trucks passing you. A diesel pusher means more cargo carrying capacity potentially, and probably more storage as well. With a gas unit, there is less storage underneath because of the driveshaft going from the front of the vehicle all the way to the rear wheels. With a diesel pusher, the engine has lots more torque, meaning it will get up to speed faster, making merging onto those highways easier and less scary.