Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
How many miles is that round trip? I'm not sure, but I can say this. My wife and I have pulled 8 and 9 hour days driving, and it's grueling! Even splitting it up, plus in 8 to 9 hours expect 500 miles? And that's if you planned exactly right and know precisely where you're going. Mental acuity driving one of these things can be tiring. Wind, road conditions + distractions can leave you exhausted!!

We drove from houston to san franscisco and back in about 14 days, and only one extra day did we get to spend in a single place aside from the few days in San Fran we spent, the rest was grinding.

We left houston on a wed. 1st day we made it to Abilene Texas , 2nd day to Santa Rosa nm, third day to Albuquerque, 4th day stays there, 5th day king an az, 6th day to Bakersfield California, 7th day to gilroy California, 8th day to San Fran.

I would imagine your 8th day might find you in Washington state, you're a little west of where we started but we had to go north and you don't.

So then 8 days back from there again on the return, leAves you 17 days to get in And out of Alaska without strangling a family member .

And I have no idea how many miles it is to Alaska from Washington (if that's the route you chose)

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just plugged this into my good sams for you to fairbanks alaska,

3400 miles one way Divide that by an average of 55 MPH and you get 61.8 hours of driving. / 8 hour days = 7.7 days to get there, and 7.7 days back... but you would be super human to get a solid 7 days of 8 hours per day, plus you wouldn't be able to ever stop... Cause you gotta build in tear down time of 45 minutes prior to leaving, plus eating add another 45 minutes, plus add 45 minutes to setup where ever you stop, and eat.. and not to mention feul stops.. an 8 hour driving day is more like a full 12 hour day, with 8 hours of driving sprinkled in the middle throughout.

so consider it like this... instead of 8 days to get there, allow for 12 to get there, and 12 to get back... that's a lot more relaxing and easy on your body, mind and soul. Give yourself another 15 days in Alaska to putter and you'll be set. 39 days total. 45 would be even better. Hope someone can feed your cats while you gone

I love the idea of renting a rig IN alaska, and flying there. You would enjoy it a lot more as your time would not be killed by getting there. I KNOW that is totally not what you want to hear, but consider it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alaska.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	55032  

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:40 AM   #45
DO you all seriously limit your driving to 8 hours? When we are headed somewhere, we lay down the miles. Get up early and drive well into the night. That is the whole beauty of owning an RV. No setup or tear down, just pull over and stop for the night. Who ever wakes up in the morning hops in the driver's seat and we roll. We eat, shower, and just go about our normal life, all while rolling down the road. WE don't stop unless there is something to see.
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD FMCA F298817
502 w/Howell/GM ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows, 4L85E 4 spd, KoniFSD
Daveinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:08 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
I used to be that way when I was a lot younger, still working, and with limited vacation time. However, we only got to enjoy our destination and not the trip.

At that time I vowed once I retired, I would spend the time traveling the USA and Canada taking the time to see the things that I passed by doing 100 mph or couldn't see as it was too dark outside.

I now drive maybe 6-7 hours between 8 or 9 am and usually quit between 3-5 pm. Of course we always allow stops for a break every hour or so to exercise, give our dog a potty break and to eat lunch.

I am now living my dream and doing exactly that. I have no firm schedule and have learn to adapt while traveling from point A to point B.

As I stated previously, for anyone wanting to drive to Alaska and back, that trip is not one where you beat the road 24/7. If you do, you will miss the most important part of the road trip. If people want to see Alaska who are limited to time, fly and drive.

The times that we have toured Alaska in R HOME back in 2010 and again in 2012, the most prevalent site on the road were hundreds of white Class C RV's rented by people who have done just that, fly, rent and drive.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:53 PM   #47
Winnebago Owners Club
Alcan trips

About half of my 20 trips over the Alcan have been with either a pickup camper or pulling a 28 ft Cardinal 5th wheel. Our son lives in Portland - 2500 miles from our home in Palmer, AK, and we figure 5 1/2 to 6 days if we push it a bit. We take time to walk the dog, don't get up too early or drive too late, and make a few tourist stops. But every trip there are many places we would like to stop the next time we drive the "Highway." In April we'll drive our new to us Journey up from Portland, so we'll try to hit some of those spots! I have 8 days, but figure on making the trip in 7. Years ago when our son attended Oregon State, he would sometimes drive it in 2.5 days, but he wasn't driving an RV and didn't stop to sleep...
New to us '04 Journey 36 with 330 Cat will be towing a '14 Sonic 1.4 liter turbo 6 spd. '05 Dodge 3500 Cummins, '09 Subaru Outback, plus a few other toys that help us get around in Alaska.
corprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #48
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Fly to AK and rent one there? You deserve as much time as possible THERE.
X2 Rent 1 or 2 of them and have fun. Hand them back to the rental agency and fly home. If you enjoy it, look into buying one when you get back.

dverstra is offline   Reply With Quote