Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Repair facility screw ups

Without mentioning names( unless you feel compelled to do so ) I thought it would be useful to share some experiences so others can be on the lookout after they get their MH's back.
There have been many postings of these in the past , but this may bring out those who haven't posted theirs.

I had a Ford dealer leave my oil fill cap off after an oil change and also disconnected my windshield washer fluid lines when they replaced a brake booster. I've prevented other screw ups by being present during other repairs.

Please don't take this thread as a slam on all facilities.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cliff,
I don't travel in he same circles as you and "D", but others may. I think that it is just as important as posting the good service to let people know the name of a place that has provided bad service. what if the item had been one of safety, like the brake line not being tight after putting the booster, or whatever. It could have been just that "one" service technician, but I'd still like to know so I could check a little more thoroughly.

Your call.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #3

Had the fuel pump replaced on my last coach, which was built on a Workhorse chassis. Ran fine. Two days later used generator. It ran 20 seconds and quit. They pinched the fuel line when putting the tank back in place. Luckily we were in the same location and they made it right. Could have been much worse. Moral of the story, check everything they may have touched before you leave the shop.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had them change my oil and they removed an oil line on my tranny with the excuse they could not get the filter off any other way.
They forgot to replace it, after two days of every person in the place trying to find out why the RV would not go into gear, they had it towed to a tranny shop and we were back together with a few choice words anout highschool mechanics.
Larry
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Took my F350 into the Hillsboro, NC Ford dealership to have a cam position sensor recall done. Drove off with no problems, hooked up the horse trailer the next day to go to Ohio to drop off a horse for training, and spend the rest of the week camping. Fueled up at Fancy Gap, NC at the FJ and soon as we left truck started sputtering and coughing and smoking, then it would run fine for a while.

I thought bad fuel. Bought a few cans of Sea Foam and ran them through. Truck went through fits of not running, then running fine, the entire week. Absolutely RUINED our vacation. After a while I came to the conclusion that the cam position sensor recall had been botched.

Took it back to the dealer, who found the problem. He said "all it was, was a loose wire, no big deal. You're good to go now." I wanted to smack him.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #6

Our windshield was replaced as a condition of sale Thanksgiving 2010. The glass would not stay sealed. After many replacement attempts and repairs from PA to FL we took it back to Camping World Grumbines on July 18, 2011. It wasn't repaired when we flew south for the winter. We picked it up last week. It took a while and much patience on both parts. Level heads prevailed and Grumbines RV in Harrisburg, PA made good. Thanks Brian Quinn!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
On our last RV, I had a new brake controller installed to tow our new 2 wheel dollie. I was just about to leave on our 3 week vacation after hooking up the dolley and smelled burnt wiring. My wife looked over and everytime I stepped on the brake, there was smoke coming from under the dash.
The shop had wired the controller wrong. I drove straight to the shop that had done the work. The wiring harness where they had tied one of the wires into melted the wires together. Another few applications of the brakes and I would have had a full blown electrical fire happening. 2.5 hours later after diagnosis and repairs and we were on our way. The tech gave me his direct cell number and said to call if any isues and he would personally drive to wherever I was to look after it.
I would normally mention a shops name in a case like this, however, there were two ways the brake controller could have been wired. Without the dolley attached it would have been difficult to catch as the controller would not have been under load. The also did a bunch of free work after that for me as restitution and still give me good discounts on all my purchases. I still deal with them today both on personal and with business.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M
Cliff,
I don't travel in he same circles as you and "D", but others may. I think that it is just as important as posting the good service to let people know the name of a place that has provided bad service. what if the item had been one of safety, like the brake line not being tight after putting the booster, or whatever. It could have been just that "one" service technician, but I'd still like to know so I could check a little more thoroughly.

Your call.
Wayne. I prefer to post that info on rvservicereviews.com. I would like to see that site grow as rvparkreviews has. I have been known to post on their as well as here in the past. I Also post good reviews on both sites. And who is "D " ?

Old 04-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I went to Century Collision in Orange ,California to fix two cargo doors. He did a beautiful job on the cargo doors. Unfortunatly they went into the Motorhome and stole a lamp part and then drilled out a window latch and took that as well. They claimed it was all a mistake, yea right.
The most important part is to always post the name of the company involved so that others will be forwarned and to always post it on http://rvservicereviews.com
If you won't post the names it's probably a bogus complaint.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Wayne. I prefer to post that info on rvservicereviews.com. I would like to see that site grow as rvparkreviews has. I have been known to post on their as well as here in the past. I Also post good reviews on both sites. And who is "D " ?
x2.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post

Cliff,
Don't make me say his name out loud. We'll start a whole other thread of him bickerin' (hee hee - couldn't resisit.)

I'll check out rvservicereviews.

Thanks.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M

Cliff,
Don't make me say his name out loud. We'll start a whole other thread of him bickerin' (hee hee - couldn't resisit.)

I'll check out rvservicereviews.

Thanks.
Oh " D " , now I get it.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Just the other day I was looking through some old work orders on my coach the previous owner had given me. He had it in to an RV shop for a number of things. One was the slide topper was not rolling up tight and was binding. Their notes on work order were that it was installed an inch to low. They re drilled it and raised it up 1 inch. Where it attaches is on the flange of the slide so no big deal but you think they would have filled the old holes. Since I bought the coach two years ago I have had nothing but trouble with the slide topper not rolling up properly. I have had to stand on something and fool with it to get it in. So the other day I got my ladder and got up and had a look and and realized that it it mounted too high. I dropped it down 2 inches and it now works like a charm. You would think a place that works on coaches all the time would know more than that.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Now that "D" got his coach back he's probably playing with it!