Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
That sounds pretty absurd top me. And you are ignoring the fact that much of the cost of the diesel option comes back at resale as a diesel drivetrain is generally considered much more desirable, especially on used vehicles. It's not hard to make the payback 20k miles instead of 100k by plugging in the right numbers and taking a different point of view (although where the number really is depends on each individual use case.)

Politicians are good at "plugging in the right numbers" too. I don't buy into their shtick either.

You cannot fix any unknown number in an equation. Case in point, my grandmother criticized my grandfathers decision to buy a shiny new Ford Jubilee tractor for the (then) princely sum of $300. When he died a few years back it was still worth far more than15 times that much, even after 60+ years of use. However on the other hand, my sisters $500k condo in Florida she bought in 2006 was only worth barely a third of that in 2010.

The fixed values however are simple math. In round numbers for discussion purposes, a $10,000 value, financed for 15 years at 10% would cost (interest included) ~$20,000 by the time you paid it off, and if you use 10mpg (V10 gas) and 16mpg (diesel Sprinter) both at $3.75 / gallon it looks like this;

16mpg @ $3.75 / gal. = $0.235 / mile.

8mpg @ $3.75 / gal. = $0.47 / mile.

Savings is $0.47 - $0.235 = $0.235 / mile. $20,000 / $0.235 = ~85,000 miles to achieve payback.

If you still believe the resale value enters into the equation, walk into your favourite banker's office and tell him you want to buy a piece of real estate that's worth TWICE what you can afford but "don't worry, it's going to be worth DOUBLE in 10 years" and see what they say. Those bankers aren't all the nicest folks around, but they're pretty sharp with numbers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virago-Rider View Post
If it were me and the current unit is in good condition, just looking a bit dated... For a fraction of the cost of a new one, you could do quite a few updates. Giving you a unit that is good, one that you know inside and out, but with the looks and touches of a newer one.

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum

Solid logic ... good advice !!

Old 06-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While you are deciding, if you are going to make payments, set up a special account and start making payments into it. See how the payments work out and it might help you decide.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #18

I'm curious about where gas and diesel are the same price per gallon? I usually see differences of 30 to 40 cents or more in the price per gallon between the two.
You should be able to buy a lot of gas, and do a lot of repairs and maintenance, for less than what a new/newer Mercedes diesel will cost you every month.
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #19

well heres my take on things, we looked for about a year at different MHs, price range $30-55k and as well as new. nothing I really jumped out at us, so we still use our converted school bus and it does just great, its paid for, we have full timed, part timed and every thing in between, and no payments, yes it would be nice to have new and shinny, and we can do it, but man, its just nice to owe no money
my advice would be keep your money and use it to see more and more in your current MH
gbstewart
Old 06-09-2014, 11:55 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Having read the posts it seems to me that this thread is a personal decision. Anyone who has a RV of any sort did not do it to save money. Sort of like the definition of owning a boat "a hole in the water you throw money into".

The underlying theme is you have to do what you are comfortable with. That includes how you want to spend the money you worked very hard for and saved to enjoy. If you enjoy a new home with bells and whistles - so be it. If you enjoy something comfortable like a pair of slippers - better yet.

The point is to take your hard earned savings and do something you enjoy with it. Travel, buy toys, do nothing - your choice! No trailer hitch on a hearse to take your money to the cemetary. Leave it for your kids and they will spend it for you. If you are planning to leave it to them give them the money now so you can enjoy watching them spend it. Or spend it yourself because in all likelihood they are making more now than you ever made.

One of the things that makes us adults and lets us enjoy ourselves is making these kinds of personal value decisions.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I'm curious about where gas and diesel are the same price per gallon? I usually see differences of 30 to 40 cents or more in the price per gallon between the two.
You should be able to buy a lot of gas, and do a lot of repairs and maintenance, for less than what a new/newer Mercedes diesel will cost you every month.
Yesterday in Grants Pass Oregon I noticed diesel was about .05 less per gallon than regular gas.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Yesterday in Grants Pass Oregon I noticed diesel was about .05 less per gallon than regular gas.
Wow - that's interesting. I definitely wasn't clear in my previous post about the difference in gas and diesel prices. I don't believe I've seen diesel prices less than gas in decades.
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #23

I own three Sprinters - after the warranty runs out they are EXPENSIVE to repair. Any trip to the dealer is always over $1300.00 Had a head on one replaced under warranty 3.5 weeks and $7000.00 repair. Why? because the glow plugs were fused to the head and could not be removed when they failed. For $7000 I could buy 2 brand new 454's! Even under warranty I'm glad I wasn't in BFE camping in it. A three week dealer stay is crazy! Good thing I had a spare sprinter (or two)...

Also had turbo resonators replaced on all three - they all failed almost at exactly 30k mile intervals - Again under warranty but $950 a pop. Finally they fixed them after replacing 7.

Just sayin... Gas isn't the total cost.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #24

New or fix-up older MH

Lots of excellent comments and thanks to everyone for taking the time to do so. Still haven't decided what to do, but I put on new tires today (the old one's were from 2008) and it made it easier to drive. I have done the numbers several ways i.e. per mile, fuel cost, resale value, etc. Keeping and fixing is the cheapest way, but it's not all about money. I told my kids several years ago that I would die broke and they got the message. I like the Sprinter, but the biggest problem is that to get it fixed you are supposed to a Sprinter qualified Mercedes dealer. More Ford repair shops around than Mercedes. I'll post again about the decision and why I made it. Maybe it'll help someone else making the same decision.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1946 View Post
I told my kids several years ago that I would die broke and they got the message.
Well don't worry then, if you stick with RVing then no matter what choice you make you will stand a very good chance of dying broke.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:08 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Why so fixed on a Sprinter option? There are a number of class C models that are equally roomy. You could also tow a trailer with a diesel truck if you were fixed on diesel.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #27

A Sprinter gets 14-17 mpg which is about 3 times the milage of a V10. That cost difference is a chunk of money. I know that that amount will buy lots of gas, which makes the decision hard. IF, IF! there had been more thought into the purchase in the first place, may not have this issue.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #28

I'm getting 17 mpg in my Travato in mountain driving, and it's not yet fully broken in. I'm expecting 18 to 20 in flatlands.

Tags
repair, replace