Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Repair Times??

One of the things that I have noticed with our first motor home is the repair time delays. Most repairs, especially chasis repairs seem to take 2-4 weeks. The dealer told me on the phone yesterday that their normal cycle is 4.5 weeks!

I never had this problem with my two trailers at smaller local shops! I am curious if others are finding this to be true. I would think that this would make full-timers crazy.

Dave and Anita
Two empty-nesters
2015 Itasca Sunova 33C
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
I would wonder if a full timer would return his coach to an RV dealer for chassis work?

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
When we ft'd in a DP we never took it to a dealer for service.

We would usually go to a Coach Care or use s mobile tech.
2011 Airstream Classic Limited
2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
There really shouldn't be anything on your coach that takes two to four weeks to repair except body damage or maybe an entire engine replace. If a part needs to be ordered, pay for it in advance and wait for it to be delivered. I don't/won't leave my coach for more than a couple days at any dealer.

If a dealer told me he needed to keep my coach for 2-3 weeks or more, I would find another dealer. I suspect that some who leave their coach for long periods of time do so because they store their coach at a storage faciity and it's often easier to leave it at the dealer than it is to take it back to storage.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
more reason to know how and to fix/repair yourself
96 Dynasty 36' that does NOT wander, thanks to RuppParts.com and their superior "poly" suspension bushings
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the problems is they do not stock parts at the dealers. The following is a TRUE story.

Workhorse custom Chassis, shortly after I purchased my Motor home, issued a recall due to defective materials in a fuel clip.. Thanks to the dealer screwing up I did not get the recall letter but thanks to a forum at a FMCA rally I got the info and a contact at WCC.

So I went to the dealer to schedule the work. I wished to make an appointment for 2 weeks in the furture, on a monday, to get the work done. They ask if I had the part (Which was mailed out with the letter) I told them I did not due to getting my notice by E-mail instead of snail mail.. They said "Can't do it, can't get the part that fast"

NOTE that the part is a standard CHEVY part and this was a CHEVY dealer. They likely had a dozen of them in the parts room.

I told them to schedule the job and I'd get the part.

Went home, called my contact at workhorse and 4 hours later had the part, and his business card, in my hand, He dropped it off on his way home, turns out I'm no his way home.

2 weeks later I handed in the part, stuck to the card.

Alan is the National Customer Service manager for WCC, he is the man who decides IF a dealership is an authorzed Workhorse service center.

A few months later I had another problem.. This time they ordered the part, FED-EXed, overnight, No "We need weeks to get it"

I kind of wonder if there was a flag on my account at that service center.....

Sadly... GM closed the dealership, so it's gone now (it was a chevy dealer). And the one down the road 7 miles has not picked up the Workhorse contract. (Wish they would, I used them for my cars and they are good).

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote