RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2019, 02:29 PM   #1

Repairing Cracks in Fiberglass Filon Siding

Hey Folks,

Needing some help and repair procedure for my Cross Terrain Toy Hauler with fiberglass filon siding. I have a crack propagating from the corner of our slide out. I was quoted anywhere from $900 - $2400 to fix it professionally! Ouch.

Something I can easily do (with time) but need some help in defining the step by step process and products for a professional quality repair. I do a lot of epoxy work and fine finishing as I own a custom furniture business.

I've searched the internet and youtube and can't seem to find the process that professions would use. Every link or video seems to be different. Most are poor quality jobs that I know will ultimately fail.

Here is the Dropbox pics links to the crack:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fh5evo35th...Crack.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2ljgzhrax...racl2.jpg?dl=0

Can someone help me out? Or if there is documentation, please share?

Thanks so much!!

customfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2019, 02:42 PM   #2

Post a pic on this site. I don't click on dropbox links. too much issue with virus etc.
But, without seeing the pic, step 1 is determine why it cracked. step2 is relieve that issue, step3 is grind till rough. step4 is fiberglass mat / resin repair step5 is sand. step 6 is body plastic and sand smooth till 400 grit. step 7 prime, step 8 paint.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:44 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
The other option is to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading further, then cover it with a piece of trim and paint to match.
'16 Jeep JKU Wrangler Sahara or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:04 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Keeping in mind that the fiberglass is less than 1/8" thick, I would mask it, epoxy or fiberglass resin fill it, spot paint and monitor; as another mentioned, concern might be what moved, why and will it continue to move/ move further? ?... and can you stop/ fix the movement issue? You do want to try to keep water OUT? If it cracks again, put some Eternabond tape on it until further resolved?
Old 08-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fixing the crack/blemish is easy enough - a standard automotive/marine epoxy filler does it nicely. Finishing to match the rest of the coach is a painting project and more difficult to blend in well, but still standard repair technique. The HARD part is fixing the reason for the crack, which is almost surely a caused by stress from underlying joint separation. If you don't fix that, odds are the crack will open up again. Whether that happens sooner or later is anybody's guess.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:39 AM   #6

Is it fiberglas or Frilon? One is a plastic product one is not. They would take different methods to repair.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Is it fiberglas or Frilon? One is a plastic product one is not. They would take different methods to repair.
Thanks ALL for the recommendations so far. Seems I'm overthinking this a bit. That's the OCD engineer in me!

Yes, it is definitely Filon. So it has a thin guage sheet of fiberglass and then some type of laminate wood which is then laminated to foam board insulation. Or so I believe as I haven't technically worked on fiberglass filo before.

1) So I'm thinking that I actually cut open the crack a bit more and then create a "V" grove maybe 1/4" wide and 1/8" deep (might have to V grove a bit into the backer).
2) Then mix up matt fiberglass with epoxy. Lather that on, filling the V grove completely. Sand it down to be level.
3) Then buy some white gel coat and try to blend that in. To look as original as possible.

Hopefully that will give me a solid and strong underlying bond.

Not sure about the root cause. Maybe that corner edge was cut improperly resulting in a stress fracture. That's my guess. As we all know, our RV frames see torsion & twisting due to uneven surfaces, etc.

Devin
customfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:49 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Devin, drill the end, fix the crack and then order one more of those short silver stripes, just below it and add it over the repair. It won't lookout of place, especially if you add two of those silver stripes "spears", one in front of the other, like the other ones.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:14 AM   #9

I believe the crack in the Filon is due to a structural problem in the sidewall just as Gary does. I think the structure is the problem especially with so many opening in the wall so close together. Does the interior look like it also has a crack or separation in the wall?

I also noticed what appears to be the edge of the roof wrinkling above the slideout in the picture. Hard to tell for sure.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:00 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I not sure the Vee-groove technique is the best for a shallow skin repair like that. If it's a hairline crack, I'd probably treat it as a gel coat repair. Drill the end point, then fill with gel coat tinted to match the surrounding and you are done. If the crack is wider, though, cutting right to the substrate and beveling the edges should work.

I still think that your real problem is structural at that corner and that the crack will quickly reappear if not the joint is not repaired first.

https://magicezy.com/repairing-hairl...epair-gelcoat/
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Fixing the crack/blemish is easy enough - a standard automotive/marine epoxy filler does it nicely. Finishing to match the rest of the coach is a painting project and more difficult to blend in well, but still standard repair technique. The HARD part is fixing the reason for the crack, which is almost surely a caused by stress from underlying joint separation. If you don't fix that, odds are the crack will open up again. Whether that happens sooner or later is anybody's guess.
Been there, done that! Our last 5er had this same looking crack. My ins. co. approved me taking it back to the Dutchmen repair facility at the factory for repair, because the adjuster suspected hidden damage.
There was hidden damage, when the filon panel was removed they discovered broken welds where a gusset had been welded into a corner for bracing.
Even though the 5er was then 7 yrs old, they repaired and strengthened that gusset free of charge, and reimbursed me my ins. deductible.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:41 PM   #12

customfab; This website may offer some insight for only performing a filon repair, it pertains to aircraft fiberglass repair and patching: https://mansbergeraircraft.com/Aircr...gn%20Paper.pdf
I don't know if this website is still valid, both website appear to have the same information, including the pictures.

http://www.tpub.com/air/14-4.htm
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Lots of good ideas. The structure is the question mark.

Filon is the Crane Corporation brand name for FRP = Fiberglass Reinforced Panel. I would look at FRP repair instead of Filon repair. Yours is probably between 0.035" and 0.050" thick and bonded (glued) to 0.25" plywood or similar.

I like the idea of solving the structural problem and then hiding the damage under a piece of trim.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:37 AM   #14

I would do the easier cosmetic fix and see if that stays put. Taking the Filon off to investigate a possible structural problem is a LOT of work that is likely completely unneeded. Look for slide adjustment interference issues (measure the gap and watch the slide movement as it goes in / out). Also on proper leveling before the slide is moved. Much higher odds than internal bracing not being correct.

Tags
air, fiberglass, repair