Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2005, 04:36 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We attended the Texas Boomer Rally in Kerrville, TX in March and had a great time. Unfortunately, our RV didn't enjoy the trip quite as much.

Not far from home, we tangled with a railroad crossing arm that started down without warning and it put a serious bend in the outside rail of our rear ladder. I removed the ladder completely, taking it to a local boat propeller shop who could weld aluminum. $27 later, we got the ladder back with a new piece welded in right above the roof mount. You really have to look closely to even see it. The re-mount seemed to make the ladder even more stable than before. I was a little worried about leaks in the ladder's roof joints but we have been through quite a lot of rain and had no problems (he said with his fingers still crossed). I was careful about the caulk that I used and how I applied it. I've worked on boats for years and never had problems sealing holes but a rubber roof is a different animal.

Kerrville also treated us to a marble/golfball sized hailstorm that hit sideways. The hail flattened over half the fins on both our roof top air conditioners. For $2.00 at the local heating contractor store, I purchased a 14 fin per inch "fin comb". In some cases I had to start bending the fin back with my fingernail but afterwards was able to carefully run the fin comb down through. It took over 2 hours per A/C but the fins appear more uniformly separated than before the storm. It has been three weeks since the combing (I've sweated about having broken a fin joint) and both A/Cs seem to be cooling as well as ever. We just came back from a week's trip where we used them several times.

I really feel like I dodged a couple of bullets with these situations and thought that I would share the experience.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2005, 04:36 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We attended the Texas Boomer Rally in Kerrville, TX in March and had a great time. Unfortunately, our RV didn't enjoy the trip quite as much.

Not far from home, we tangled with a railroad crossing arm that started down without warning and it put a serious bend in the outside rail of our rear ladder. I removed the ladder completely, taking it to a local boat propeller shop who could weld aluminum. $27 later, we got the ladder back with a new piece welded in right above the roof mount. You really have to look closely to even see it. The re-mount seemed to make the ladder even more stable than before. I was a little worried about leaks in the ladder's roof joints but we have been through quite a lot of rain and had no problems (he said with his fingers still crossed). I was careful about the caulk that I used and how I applied it. I've worked on boats for years and never had problems sealing holes but a rubber roof is a different animal.

Kerrville also treated us to a marble/golfball sized hailstorm that hit sideways. The hail flattened over half the fins on both our roof top air conditioners. For $2.00 at the local heating contractor store, I purchased a 14 fin per inch "fin comb". In some cases I had to start bending the fin back with my fingernail but afterwards was able to carefully run the fin comb down through. It took over 2 hours per A/C but the fins appear more uniformly separated than before the storm. It has been three weeks since the combing (I've sweated about having broken a fin joint) and both A/Cs seem to be cooling as well as ever. We just came back from a week's trip where we used them several times.

I really feel like I dodged a couple of bullets with these situations and thought that I would share the experience.

Old 05-13-2005, 07:43 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You must of had some NEW ENGLAND weather down there Tex, never know what to expect. Thanks for the "fin comb" tip never heard of that one. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 10:37 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I had this happen on a class C.... But no amount of combing was going to fix it. Also, I ran the unit and was not aware of the damage, you need to check the roof area as part of you trip check list, and I am almost sure that the compressor was over heated. Insurance covered the cost of a New 15k unit (replaced a 13.5k). I installed a DIY screen for just a few $.

I have pictures posted on my RV Tips page. Just follow the link in my signature.

OBTW - You can get a "fin comb" from Harbor Frieght also.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:45 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for your insight, Dale. We noticed the damage right after the storme and we did not have to run the A/C units between the time that they were damaged and my repairs. I'm hopeful that we don't have to replace them but only time will tell.

When I get a moment, I'll going to study your link regarding the screens. I really don't want to have to EVER do that job again.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:19 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like if it weren't for bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all!! We got hit by the edge of a tornado one time. Our awning blew up over the roof and beat on it steady for about 20 minutes. I thought for sure we were going to blow over. Give me an earthquake ANY day!!! They only last a minute!
No fun inside the rig while bad things are going on outside, huh?