Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #1

Repelling -- not killing -- mice

Does anything work to keep mice away from a winter-stored motor home?

Any and all potions, products, and home remedies will be tried and tested!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHoneck View Post

Will not stake my reputation on it, but I have used clothes dryer sheets in all my drawers, under mattresses, under couch, in oven, etc; in 10 years I have not had one meese. Makes the M/H smell great too.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Don't know if it works... but I heard... Dryer sheets. You know the ones that you put in your clothes dryer to make them smell good. Mice don't like the smell. (?)
Old 11-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #4

I always wondered if those electronic plug-in gadgets really work to repel mice - of course, supplying power in storage might be a problem - a similar problem out camping in the woods, are the chipmunks and similar pests that like to get into sensitive areas - engine wiring, hoses, etc - wonder what works to repel those?
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Been doing the dryer sheet thing since 1992 & never a critter or even signs of one, so I'm thinking they work. The outdoor storage area we use is right next to a corn/bean field & that's where mice hang out till time to look for a cozy indoor spot to ruin.

Fingers crossed, hoping I didn't jinx us by making this post
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm afraid I have use all the easy ways of eliminating the little rodents. Have had them get caught in rotary fan of heater, head decapitated and body fried on heat coils, found in bread draw after eating hole thou the loaf of bread and found one in cabinet over Micro eating labels of bottles stored there.
Only sure way of keeping them out of MH before they get in wiring hardness's is use the old fashion wire snap trap, one winter caught 12 next year a couple and one year non. They must have got the message.
I place them in compartments where they may enter, near the heater back of refrigerator and even in Gen compartment, load them with plenty of peanut butter.
You all may not be in a area where MH is close to wood piles or near grassy fields so have not experience the problem with what you have been using. Just remembered I had one drop out of wheel well while refueling on a trip through Canada so you never know when they might you might get a hitchhiker some day.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick & Pat View Post
Been doing the dryer sheet thing since 1992 & never a critter or even signs of one, so I'm thinking they work. The outdoor storage area we use is right next to a corn/bean field & that's where mice hang out till time to look for a cozy indoor spot to ruin.

Fingers crossed, hoping I didn't jinx us by making this post
Thanks! Sounds like dryer sheets are the method of choice.

I was thinking of putting some sort of a barrier up around the wheels -- do you guys ever do that? If so, what do you use?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I found a nest built on top of a dryer sheet! When I turned on the dash vent fan for the first time that year it spit out the empty nut shells they had left in the vent. This past winter I tried the Riddex electronic repellant. Seemed to have worked much better, except there was still a lot of activity, and even a nest, in the basement area. This year I've placed one there too. I'll have to let you know next spring how that worked out.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:45 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know why my new neighbor threw lots of moth balls all around and under his rig. But it drove me to another site!!!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #10
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
I always wondered if those electronic plug-in gadgets really work to repel mice - of course, supplying power in storage might be a problem - a similar problem out camping in the woods, are the chipmunks and similar pests that like to get into sensitive areas - engine wiring, hoses, etc - wonder what works to repel those?
We use the Black & Decker electronic plug-ins, couple of them inside and one pluged into the storage area. So far they seem to be working, or maybe the stray cats in the area are doing their job. When dry camping if needed I carry the old stand by, your basic mouse trap.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
I don't know why my new neighbor threw lots of moth balls all around and under his rig. But it drove me to another site!!!!!
Yeah, our RV was packed full of mothballs while it sat for a couple of years before we bought it -- apparently in an effort to keep the mice at bay. Dang, those things stink, and we've done everything imaginable to get rid of the smell.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHoneck View Post

I went to Lowe's and found a trap that you put pellets inside and it is large enough for the critters to get into but not your dog or cat. I had problems with them nesting on my motor and since I have put out the trap I have had none. The rats do not die in the trap, the pellets make them thursty and they leave to search for water and die.

The most hummane way I could find and it costs about 18 bucks.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
What has worked for us in the past that kept our 97 Bounder 34b and now in our present 02 Rev, (which did come with a critter of sorts nesting under the dash) removed the nest and used our tried and true system of Irish Spring bar soap in all the compartments have not seen any sign of a Roadent since July. Working on joining the full timers in the next two years. From northern Canada,of coarse mice hate our winters,as do most of us.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #14

A cat!