Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #1

Replace Awning Fabric

My awning needs to be replaced. Is this something I can I do with help from a friend or two? If so, can I add a metal weatherguard (weathershield) as well? I just want to replace the fabric, the hardware is all in good shape.

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35'
Art E is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art E View Post
My awning needs to be replaced. Is this something I can I do with help from a friend or two? If so, can I add a metal weatherguard (weathershield) as well? I just want to replace the fabric, the hardware is all in good shape.
What brand awning do you have?

Terry
tmh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've never done it but I'm sure a search of our forum will give you a good education on the subject and experts will certainly chime in soon. I do know that it's certainly doable with the help of at least one friend but you have to be carefull of the spring tension on the awning roller.

Good luck...

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
you have to be careful of the spring tension on the awning roller.
Yes, most of them are very effective fiberglass, finger, and aluminum sheet removers.

Terry
tmh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife and I have replace a vinyl awning canopy. I have also replaced springs, but you need some one to show you how to do it safely the first time. It is not hard work if done correctly. But the spring can take off finger, break arms, etc.

As to the metal weather cover, you will have to check with the manufacturer.

Ken
Old 09-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
agree with the metal cover, due to "not so smart people" i also have to agree with the spring part. However, as stated above, if you have help and PREPARE FOR THE WORST you will be just fine! Just remember to take your time and MARK EVERYTHING!

after you get your awning off of your RV, take off the side (i'm paraphrasing this a lot) anyway, with the vise grips on, count how many times your spring "unwinds" so you know to go back and tighten the spring that many times. to weak and it won't roll back up (my newbie employee learned that). to tight and you take the chance of breaking your internal spring.

where are you from if you don't mind?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #7

Thanx for all the advice and encouragement. I'm now leaning toward leaving it to the pros. BTW I'm from Millbrook, Alabama.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #8

It is quite simple to do if you have sufficent help (not sidewalk superintendents) and take your time with each step. Releasing tension and rewinding tension on springs is the hardest part and is really quite easy after you have done the first spring and got the hang of it. Once you remove the stops (normally screws) from the fabric ends the fabric (metal wrap also) will slid out of the grooves. Clean and spray grooves with silcone spray prior to reinstalling new fabric/shield
Old 09-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
It is quite simple to do if you have sufficent help (not sidewalk superintendents) and take your time with each step. Releasing tension and rewinding tension on springs is the hardest part and is really quite easy after you have done the first spring and got the hang of it. Once you remove the stops (normally screws) from the fabric ends the fabric (metal wrap also) will slid out of the grooves. Clean and spray grooves with silcone spray prior to reinstalling new fabric/shield
oh yeah..

wait...... spray with silicone? never heard that one, i was about to agree with spraying with like WD40 or something to help slide it in, also take a small file and file down the small opening where you insert the awning, not a have to, but takes down the chance of snagging it.

it really is quite simple though, i think the hardest part for me was getting my retarded and somewhat intoxicated best friend, his dad, and my father inlaw to cooperate and actually listen to the sober one... LOL but if one sober guy and 3 intoxicated individuals can do it, i'm sure you can too!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Not sure I understand allowing the spring to "rewind".................
Two people (not three, certainly not four) can unroll the awning and at full extension you merely pin the roller, thru small holes provided, to the fixed part of the awning mechanism. Larger nail or smaller screwdrivers work well. With the roller "pinned" the awning replacement was easy. Wife and I did 3 in less than 1/2 day with the last one taking less than 45 minutes. The awning mfg. web site has a blurb on "how to".
Our awnings were mfg. by Carefree of Colorado.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #11
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I, also, have pinned an awning(slide) roller and removed/repaired the awning material. Just make sure the pin is being held in by the roller tension.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #12

there is a good article at rv-motorhome-answers that will answer a lot of your questions.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
pinning it works, its kinda one of those "to each their own" type of things, i chose to unwind it so there was NO spring tension cause I didn't know what i was dealing with the first time, now that I know there isn't THAT much tension on it, I would be up for just pinning it next time...
Old 09-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #14

Wow, you folks are great. I had been wondering why I had to worry about the spring and was thinking I could just roll out the owning and work from there. Looks like that's the way to go, just have to make sure I pin it properly. Sounds good to me and thanks to all.