Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-12-2008, 06:26 AM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anyone out there ever replace a back up camera? How hard/easy is this to do?
Mine is not working properly and I am pretty sure I need to replace it.

Thanks in advance.

'04 Kountry Star 3778 - Gas
08 Liberty Sport
K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2008, 01:55 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Replacing the camera is pretty easy. Get the model number off the camera or the monitor and get the same model or one that mates with the monitor. You may want to remove and check the connections first befoer condiming the camera. There are usually four screws that hold the camera to the base. Once removed gently pull the wiring out a little, remove the grommet into the back cap and pull the wiring out to the connector. The connector will come through the hole pull out enough to be able to tape it secure to the back cap preventing it from falling back into the cap. Attach new camera and reverse the removeal process to install. Good luck and keep us posted.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
If you camera is bad, take RV Wizard's advice. If the cables are bad or you cannot get the same type/make that uses the same cables, Its not that hard either. You will have to run the new back-up camera cable down through the underside of the motor home. (Use the plastic wire covering over the exposed cable). Come up through the back between the inside of the coach and the outside fiberglass. Pull the tail lights out to gain access to this area.
2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38PDQ
Click on SHIP to enlarge CGC Sagebrush
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
I replaced the camera in my motorhome. Apparently they are all pretty much the same, just make sure to get one that is made to show reverse image. I got it from an internet seller in LV,NV. There may be some quality issues with the 2 different style cameras. I don't remember the details and can't find the paper work but it was one of the "pencil" cameras I think it was called. It has infra red for low light and is a huge improvement over the old one. It also works if you put the video signal into a TV with the appropriate input. Something I have thought about doing to get the image down where I can actually see it instead of over my head. The old cables worked with it too.
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder 425
2008 Jeep Unlimited X Wrangler
Kyp J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am a happy camper! I just had my B&W back up camera replaced with a color digital camera that will adjust up and down, and pan left to right. When I turn the key on it defaults to look straight down to the hitch as a safety feature incase of children or toys. Great also for when towing and backing up. I also had cameras installed in my garage area so I can see how my harley is riding, one as a rear view so I can see behind me in the rv going down the road (keep an eye on the dog and children), tiny cameras in my mirrors for turn signals or just checking traffic on my side, also two on my front as nose cameras so I see children, fences and other objects in my blind spots when I pull in.
The cameras come in various degree lenses, wide angle, low light, mirror image, true image, and more. These camera were developed for RVs, boats, SUVs, big rigs, tow vehicles, and more.
I spoke to Rod, the designer and President of the company and he informed me of installing roof cameras on RVs before.
Total Vision Products, LLC. in Tucson AZ.
You can buy direct, go to a designated installer, or to the man himself.
The cost was reasonable and less than what repairs would cost if I should damage my rig.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
doggy daddy, you are going to be very busy,looking up and down, left to right,side to side ,and at your storage, please remember to look straight ahead every now and then
Technology, isnt it great
1995 Gulfstream sunsport
454 chevy
If it ain't broke fix it untill it is
nostradumass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Safety is the objective. The cameras are also useful when parked and the curtains are closed to ID who is knocking on the door and checking out noises.
In the past I painfully found that distractions and accidents can happen with the use of well intented ground guides and co-pilots.

Ride safe.

Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote