Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2005, 05:59 AM   #1

Read Rick Buddrus' post & info on batts--very helpful. Have two house batts, Interstate marine deep cycle, installed new by Winnie. Anyone have the specs on these batts? So I can take the info to vendors (WalMart EverStart Maxx; Interstate) and ensure new ones are compatible w/my rig (performance/form/fit).
Am electrically challenged, so would appreciate any procedures to follow to rmv & replace. Recently R&R'd chassis batt ok; but that was a single.

Considered golf cart (6V) batts, but I seldom dry camp & prefer not to modify the battery compartment or cables, etc. So will go w/12V batts. Thx for inputs.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2005, 05:59 AM   #2

Read Rick Buddrus' post & info on batts--very helpful. Have two house batts, Interstate marine deep cycle, installed new by Winnie. Anyone have the specs on these batts? So I can take the info to vendors (WalMart EverStart Maxx; Interstate) and ensure new ones are compatible w/my rig (performance/form/fit).
Am electrically challenged, so would appreciate any procedures to follow to rmv & replace. Recently R&R'd chassis batt ok; but that was a single.

Considered golf cart (6V) batts, but I seldom dry camp & prefer not to modify the battery compartment or cables, etc. So will go w/12V batts. Thx for inputs.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 07-31-2005, 06:23 AM   #3

I plan to replace my batteries with trojan 6 volt golf kart batteries. They are taller but will fit in my MH. You wire them in series in order to get 12 volts. They have better storage capablities, last longer, and don't cost that much more.

tmcgeesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 02:17 PM   #4

You should be able to determine all the info from the current batteries on the coach. Look at the group number and cold cranking amp CCA and you should be able to match at Walmart, Costco, or Sam's Club.

I replaced mine w/ the ones from Costco. Seems much easier to deal w/ than Interstate dealers when it comes to warranty issues.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:

Thudman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
wildgrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Thudman, here are some links to help you with the understanding of batteries and how to take care of them.
http://www.dcbattery.com/faq.html#1
http://www.usbattery.com/care.htm
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Bat...ery%20Charging
http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm
I would recommend you be sure to clean the cable connections well and put on a terminal protector when completed the installation.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:05 AM   #6

Thanks to all for GREAT info! Ended up at Sam's Club, partly because of their warranty: 12 mos replace; 36 mos prorated. Bought 2 marine deep cycle batts; ST24DC140; 85AH; 140 min reserve; $42.88 each. Both fit ok w/no need to modify cables or hold-down hardware. Hopefully they'll last til I buy a Prevost (they will last 25 years, won't they?).

Thudman

Old 09-01-2005, 10:26 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The first time we took our 2005 Suncruiser dry camping (only 4 months after delivery)the house batteries failed to hold a charge. Had to pay $240 to replace them (they had bad cells) and have put in a claim to WB for reimbursement. However, I plan to replace them at the start of each camping season with CostCo/Sam's club at $45 each. Why put up with the hassle on the road. It costs me more to run the engine/generator for gas at $3/gallon if I run out of battery power. And I have two 75W solar panels to provide a charge to the house batteries when not plugged in.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Good brand lead acid batteries if properly taken care of should give you 5 to 7 years of service before needing replacement. For those that doo a lot of dry camping they may want to consider the AGM type batteries where they can give 10 years of service, can be recharged faster, and do not require any maintanance.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:29 AM   #9

When I purchased my coach the dealer replaced the batteries and they are doing fine.

I wonder in replacing coach or house batteries is there a special procedure to follow in disconncting the wires from the batteries and replacing them? Or just disconnect each terminal and be sure to replace the wires to it?

Any problems with the tranny or engine
computers or any other electrical item?

Thanks for your answers.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:17 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
I wonder in replacing coach or house batteries is there a special procedure to follow in disconnecting the wires from the batteries and replacing them? Or just disconnect each terminal and be sure to replace the wires to it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The practice that I follow is to disconnect the "Negative" or black cables first and then the "Positive" or red cable last. Reassemble the same way.

Case studies have found that if you disconnect the red or positive cable first you could make a connection between the vehicle frame and the terminal with the tool if it comes to that. This will immediately cause a short or heat condition.

If you contact the vehicle frame while disconnecting the black cables or negative it won't matter and there certainly will be less exposure to getting burned or causing an electrical short.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:26 AM   #11

Ichn: To avoid the Murphy factor, I took a digital foto of my batts before removing them; then connected the cables for the new batts the same as the old ones. So far Mr Murphy has not visited on THIS issue. I also use a Battery Minder on my chassis battery (also newly replaced when my rig would not start, even w/house boost).

You were very wise to have all the batts replaced on your rig prior to purchase. As I said previously, I would do the same even with a new rig, since you never know what the batts have been thru, from manufacture to customer delivery.

Thudman

Old 09-02-2005, 07:59 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
I also use a Battery Minder on my chassis battery (also newly replaced when my rig would not start, even w/house boost). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thudman, I have my Battery Minder on-line and working right now. If I'm sitting for any length of time 3 or more days it gets hooked up.

I have to bring a line into the stairwell battery compartment so rather than bring a line up, I drop a heavy duty AC cord down and connect to my extension cord which is directly fed from the pedestal.

Battery Minder works very well and it keeps the green eye on my battery visible. Without it the eye goes to black every time.

While I was in the compartment I added water, lots of water to the coach batteries. I have to check the batteries every 10 days or else!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:59 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
At the same time that I had to begin advertising my coach for sale last year, the coach batteries quit holding a charge. At first I cleaned the terminals and thought I had it fixed. But one day we opened the door to show it, and the steps wouldn't come out. I figured that the dead battery discouraged the folks looking at the coach, and went to my local battery dealer right away. The Battery Warehouse in my town carries several brand labels, but also 12v hospital take outs. These hospital take outs are the same size and fit perfectly. But the store manager told me that the Hospital batteries have 3 times the stored energy of a regular RV/Marine battery. At $35/each, I felt that it was a very good value.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:36 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
May I recommend that buying the same batteries that were installed, is probably the best route to take. I presently have Interstate Deep Cycles, and when they need replacement, that's what will go back in. Presently my coach Batteries are about 30 months old and I am watching them closely. My MH is plugged in 24/7 and the battery water consumption dictates a 10 -14 day check and fill. Remember you get what you pay for, don't nickel and dime it on your batteries...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote