Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2007, 04:42 AM   #15

I would like to replace our shades with power shades and would like some more info.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:15 PM   #16

Flint,

The shades I used are powered Duette shades made by Hunter Douglas. They are not wired into the 12 volt system. They are powered by AA batteries, 8 of them. You remove your day/night shades or blinds. (Removing the valances helps the installation.) You mount the duette shades where the day/nights were. You order two optional extras: One is a remote battery pack. This little box mounts to the inside side of the valance. The reason for this option is to have the ability to change the batteries when necessary without having to take the shades down. It is an access issue. The other option is a remote infared sensor. Since the shades are mounted behind the valance, the remove won't be able to "see" the sensor mounted on the shade. Therefore it is useful to have a remote infrared, mounted outside the valance so you can point the remote at it.

We feel they are really worth the money it cost to purchase these shades. They come in many colors and look really nice. Love the electric part of them.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask, or email me directly.

RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul and Sue:
I was wondering it anyone replaced their day/night shades with home type cordless shades from Home Depot or Lowes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Are you talking about the RediShade? At about $5.00 each? I just put up a temportary set until I can get my day/nights restrung. They are not bad. They even sell blackouts for the bedroom or bathroom! And the price is great. Wallyworld and Cosco has them to.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #18

Yes, we replace all of our shades with off the shelf ones from Home Depot. Easy job. Some a bit tricky to get to but much happier with them now. We can tilt the venetian blinds to direct air flow up or down when using our Fantastic vents.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:37 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
So glad I found these posts with options. I hate my valances and was going to recover them like I did the ones in my Teton, but the day/night shades in the Itasca are attached to the valances - up at the top. I know most of them are attached to the sides but these are attached to the top and then to the wall. They are a nightmare to get down and take apart. I hate the color of the shades anyway, so I think I'm going to look into a different type of shade and put up regular curtains instead of recovering these valances. Do you think curtains instead of the day/night shades will lower the value of an RV for resale?
Old 09-01-2008, 07:36 AM   #20

We replaced all our day/night shades with MCD Duo Shades . You can see pics in these links

Before

And half way down the page beneath area titled Motorhome Renovations you can see the After pics. Just click on pics to enlarge.

A couple of shades in the after pics are inserted backwards (I need to fix this). It may not matter, but I prefer to have the mesh outside, white privacy inside. This way I can always leave the mesh down.

We love these shades but I would not hesitate to use curtains only or something from Lowes/Home Depot.

I know the concern of resale too - I worried about that at first, but in the end I think if the replacement works well and installed properly, looks appealing, etc. I don't think it matters.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
HeresLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:47 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GraciesMom:
So glad I found these posts with options. I hate my valances and was going to recover them like I did the ones in my Teton, but the day/night shades in the Itasca are attached to the valances - up at the top. I know most of them are attached to the sides but these are attached to the top and then to the wall. They are a nightmare to get down and take apart. I hate the color of the shades anyway, so I think I'm going to look into a different type of shade and put up regular curtains instead of recovering these valances. Do you think curtains instead of the day/night shades will lower the value of an RV for resale? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We just re-covered our valences. It was a bit of a pain to remove them but we're satisfied with the results. We also may replace the day-night shades eventually...they are still in good shape for now.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #22

Great Job Lucy! And I LOVE the string bean quilt!!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #23

I love the suede, Smlranger . . . I was looking for patterned fabric to use on my valances, but with the new stucco wallpaper I'm putting in, that was too busy for me - so I've been looking at the suede as well. Like Lucy, I thought I could add a triangle of color - even make it removeable - to match throw pillows and put down some rugs for extra color. That way it'll be neutral when it's time to sell or trade. Great job!! That really looks professional!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #24

Thanks Gracie. Good luck with your updates..sounds like a great plan to me.

FYI - though you might like to look at this MH renovation. The family bought it to promote living eco-friendly and it was renovated with that in mind.

This gal has a real knack for decorating (if you like this kinda look). I'm a real sucker for vintage things so it appeals to me a lot. I especially like her little tea cubby. So cute!

LiveLightlyTour

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 09-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #25

Lucy - that was interesting! Definitely not my taste though! I'm into quilts, antiques, American Indian designs, earthtones, etc. I recovered the valances in my Teton with a beautiful rich Navajo print, but it was hard to sell. It seems most women RV buyers want lighter colors and florals. And I'm not a flower person! I thought about painting the walls, but I like the stucco wallpaper better. I hate my cabinets but wouldn't think of painting them. I spray painted the pulls a hammered bronze and that made them look a lot better - better than the cheap gold. I took out the dinette and I'll have a desk built in later. Putting tile squares on the floor, dark brown short shag carpeting, and I'm tossing that uncomfortable RV sofa out and getting a regular sofa for comfort. I'm going to completely redo everything - including counters, sinks, shower . . . all one step at a time as I travel. I'll have to post some progress photos. ANYTHING is better than the green carpet and the green and white upholstery! Ugh! Who picks this stuff?

Your rig is absolutely gorgeous - looks like a home, not an RV. You have GREAT taste!! How do you secure all that stuff when you travel? Or do you not travel that often?
Old 09-07-2008, 07:42 AM   #26

That's quite a project Gracie! But I have no doubt you'll get it done. Please take pictures and share when you can.

I'd love to have a different wallcovering too cuz ours is grey and I really do not like grey. But the only way I'd ever tackle that is if we were to gut it which we will never do. I'm not a flower person either...and it was very difficult for me to go with the little flower treatment fabric I picked for the front area, but it had the color tones I needed. It had to blend or compliment the taupe chairs, sofa, etc. And it matched the colors in the check perfectly. I.e, What I used on the dining chairs.

I put that same check on this valance over the kitchen sink -- it was my way to make the kitchen different from the front room. A little joke between DH and I -- he likes to tease me -- after I finished he said "Yea probably good idea it's different being it's 2 steps away from the living room". He He.

BTW - here is another RV makeover that might inspire ideas for you or others. Done by Alpenliter - member from RV.NET.

5th Wheel Redo

If you are ever in Red Bay Alabama -- there is a RV dealer there that sells Tiffin's overstock and exchanges at good prices. All kinds of stuff -- furniture (Flexsteel), lighting, dining chairs, appliances. And there is a great cabinetry guy who Tiffin owners use to do lots of custom work. I'll find the link and contact info and add it in another post.

Don't forget your pictures! Have fun.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 09-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #27

McKinney RV. Not a sophisticated website... more like a database. But just query the 4-sale listings and you'll see several pages of pics. Gives you a good idea of the inventory this place has.

Chris Berry is the guy who can do custom woodwork projects. Use to work in final finish at the Tiffin plant - now has his own business. 256-810-4707 (cell)

Brandon Hutcheson is another employee who started his own business now called Custom RV, Inc. 5 mi south of Red Bay. Former 12 year Tiffin employee who worked on the Zephyr line. I understand he just opened his own service building. Brannon can be reached @
256-668-0973.

Just some contacts in case you'd like to hire stuff out but want someone with RV experience.

~~~~~~~

Oh yea - Forgot to answer your question re: where do I store things. I put all small accessories in a clothes basket in the tub while traveling. Except lamps. I remove the shades and wrap the base in a towel - store those in a bedroom cabinet. Doesn't take long to setup or tear down.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 09-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #28

I posted photos of my exterior work - got the stripes off and am working on getting the yellow oxidation off - under Sprucing Up The Outside under general discussion I think . . .

I know the kitchen is two steps from the living room, but my kitchen is different from the living room! I'm putting up tile back splashes and a different valance as well!! I'll take pictures when I'm done and post them.

You might take a look at the stucco wallpaper - it's really easy and looks great. You can get it so light, it doesn't look like stucco - just like a nice faux finish.