Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I think you will find that nearly all LEDs are made in China. Even if you are buying from a U.S. Company.
That's true however like almost everything else all LED 'bulbs" are not created equal. The less expensive ones have less of a heat sink if any at all. The better ones use a finned aluminum heat sink. In addition some do not have a polarity compensating feature, or good voltage regulation.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Q:Replace fixture or just bulbs when converting to LED?

A: Yes.

The decision is up to you, In many cases there are some very good looking fixtures out there, both in LED and non-LED types, and some of them may be better looking than what you have now.

So the decision is up to you

In my case, for the most part I am replacing lamps (bulbs) only, nto the entire fixture.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Q:Replace fixture or just bulbs when converting to LED?

A: Yes.

The decision is up to you, In many cases there are some very good looking fixtures out there, both in LED and non-LED types, and some of them may be better looking than what you have now.

So the decision is up to you

In my case, for the most part I am replacing lamps (bulbs) only, nto the entire fixture.
X2
On our last 2 5th wheel units we just replaced the bulbs with either flat panel stick on types or socket type, which ever the fixture was suited for and have been very happy with the results and the saving in battery consumption while boondocking.
Cheers Rick T.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just finished converting the ceiling/undercabinet fluorescent fixtures to LED's (yesterday in fact). I gutted the fixture then used four strips of LED's in each and wired them directly to the existing wiring. They look great. I have one that I did for a trial and I left the sockets and transformer/ballast in place. I also only used three LED strips in it, I really should tear it apart and redo it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced my halogen bulbs with LED fixtures. I believe the Halogen was a G-9 and bought 2800 degree Kelvin color temperature - the warn white - LED replacements discs/bulbs. Bought bulbs that had a regulation circuit on the board so they could operate an the 14 volt output of the converter. I replaced all the bulbs in the original ceiling fixtures. Found that I had to twist the power leads for the LEDs to be parallel to the fixture.
Worked well initially but found many were failing and were extremely hot. The back of the ceiling fixture is reflective and the heat from the LED discs had no way to escape and was causing the LED discs to fail.
Attended the Winnebago GNR where their suppliers sell their goods and was able to get complete identical replacement fixtures with board-mounted LEDs for $2-3 more that I paid for the discs so converted the entire coach. The fixtures are made by ITC-ELIO and have a 3000 deg color temperature. I would suggest you pursue that option. These fixtures which I believe are now standard on most Winnebago coaches - have an output of 340 lumens which is much more than the replacement LED discs and do not have the heat issue the discs had. Have had them for two plus years with absolutey no issues. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:27 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
We just replaced the bulbs themselves. We looked at several vendors and settled on the M4 Products Samsung Elite series replacements.
M4 Products has replacements for just about any type and style bulbs.

M4 Products
I'm a fan of M4 Products too. I have purchased from them several times and have been pleased.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
I fully understand why you want to convert to LED's.
I would just do the bulb.
IMHO, for me it would be money wasted. We don't use the lights much. We have 1 on up until 8pm then just TV till 10pm or so and 1 on to read till 11pm.' I would need about 50 to do the whole intierior.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:34 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
We hardly ever use the small halogen puck lights, they have a dimmer switch which does provide some benefit as far as light & power consumption. To me there is limited benefit to changing. However, in the bedroom above the bed I put a small round toggle switch that allows us to turn off the lights we don't want. I also added a small swivel type dimmable light on the side of the bed that doesn't have the dimmer switch, that way my wife can have a light independent of the others.

About 4 years ago I did convert all my fluorescent lights to LED. I removed the light so I could thoroughly clean & remove the ballast. I then added 3 strips of LED, hooking 2 outer strips to the original on/off toggle. I then added a 2nd switch to control the middle strip. This way they are adjustable in that I can have 1, 2 or all 3 strips lite of off. Gives a lot of flexibility in the LR & BR area. Also, while the light fixtures were out I did a better job of sealing up the ceiling cutout with tape to prevent airflow & dirt from entering the TV. Below are pictures of how I did it and a comparison of a Fluorescent light versus a LED light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED_light_conversion.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	92598   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED_light_conversion_with_extra_switch.jpg
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	92599  

Click image for larger version

Name:	LED_light_comparison.jpg
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	92600  
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #23

My rig had all "wedge-based" bulbs so it was very easy to just swap out the bulb alone. I can't think of any reason to change out the whole fixture, unless you just don't like the looks of it.

--DonK
Old 04-26-2015, 11:28 PM   #24

My rig also has the "web based" bulbs but I can't get some of the LED replacement bulbs to fit in the some of the fixtures. So I may have to replace some fixtures. I bought the LED T-10 68 SMD W5W 194 921 168 type. They fit in the bathroom vanity lights and the bedroom side lights (with a bit of effort), but can not get them in the overheads in the living room, kitchen, and living room. The base of the LED is just a little bit larger than the original 921 bulbs. Anyone else having this experience? Perhaps all 921 replacement LEDs are not a like and I should buy a different brand/manufacturer.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:45 AM   #25

Is it actually a different bulb in those overhead fixtures? In other words, if you take one of the old bulbs from the bathroom, will it fit in the overhead?

I never had the fit trouble you're having, but as a side note, I tried just about every cheap bulb I could find from Ebay. I wasn't happy with any of them. None yielded the brightness the advertised regardless if how many diodes were on them. I finally settled on some Samsung bulbs from M4 LED products. Even though they were much higher priced, I'm glad I've got them.

(I ended up using all the cheap ones in my storage compartments, and I discovered that they also work great in my exterior clearance lights.)

--DonK
Old 04-27-2015, 02:56 AM   #26

That's a personal preference. If you want new fixtures, by all means purchase them. If your happy with them and they're functional then it's not necessary. The new led's fit the same as the old as long as they are the same plug in type and of proper rating. A wise choice in led's because of the lower wattage needs they are cooler and create less fire hazard.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #27

DonKarStedt ... yes, same bulb for both the bathroom and overheads. 921 wedge type. I think it is the oval piece in the center of the wedge that is just a hair too big and the fact that the bathroom fixtures and overheads must be made by different manufacturers. I might try a razor on the new LEDs and see if I can reduce the size of the wedge just enough to get it in. PIA
Old 04-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #28

If you think you might have to replace the fixture anyway, you wouldn't have anything to lose by trying to spread the opening of the socket slightly wider. They are usually just simple spring steel tabs in there. Make sure you have a backup plan for replacing the fixture first though, just in case you break it. ;-]

--DonK

Tags
replace