Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Replace TVs; How'd you do it?

My 06 have crt based TVs and we want to upgrade them - "we" meaning she. However, the new stuff will not fit in the hole the old stuff is in. How did you tackle this and make it work well and look good? Old TV is square, new TV is rectangular.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #2
There are a bunch of threads if you do a search. They all boil down to get the old one out, pick a new one that is about the same width then mount a panel in the hole and mount the new TV on the panel. Where it gets interesting is whether or not the panel is made to open and how the extra space is filled in. Some folks have had the cabinetry redone to eliminate the drop part the old one needed. Other folks leave it alone.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
We removed the old tubes and replaced with smart TV's that run off our rig's hotspot. A roku or similar streaming stick is what we use at home and in the RV. They have mounting hardware that can swivel to accommodate different viewing angles. We turned our left over cabinet into a printer station with an added cabinet door. We prefer our TV to sit on the stand in the LR and stays sitting there when we drive down the road and never moves. No flames please about sudden stops as it's directly behind the pass seat.
1999 Newmar Mountain Aire MADP 4080, Cummins ISC 8.3L, Allison, Spartan MM IFS, Howard Power Center, Chev Trailblazer LTZ Towed w/ BlueOx rigging, Segway X2.
Qwert66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #4

New TV's are pretty thin, so if it won't intrude on needed space then you can build a support structure inside the existing box to mount an articulating wall mount TV stand. If you don't have any leeway then keeping it inside the box or moving it to a different location might be your only option unless modifying the cabinetry is something you would consider. Since our TV is next to the entry I taped a box to the edge of the cabinet to simulate the new TV's location. After living with that for a few weeks I felt comfortable mounting the TV outside the box.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
It's a real simple job. Just pull your old ones out. Measure the max horizontal width you have between things that need accessed, like flip up cabinets. That is the max width of the TV you can put there unless you want to give up access to them. Ideally, that max width means the TV height will fill the vertical space so you can't see the hole.

If you can see the hole still you can do various tricks to fill it to make it look OEM.

Just mount a flat screen mount to a wood plank or any other type of support structure you install in the hole.

We did not try to make ours fit inside the square hole because it would have resulted in small TVs with a vertical gap to fill and we like a larger TV. I think on the larger front TV we ended up with a 33" wide TV, which would probably be around 35 to 37" diagonal. I think had we tried to fit it in the hole we would have needed to go with a 27" there about.
bizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:12 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
My 06 have crt based TVs and we want to upgrade them - "we" meaning she. However, the new stuff will not fit in the hole the old stuff is in. How did you tackle this and make it work well and look good? Old TV is square, new TV is rectangular.

This is what we did!

The head-banger is finally GONE!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:38 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
I bought a 32" LED Hitachi that fit in the box opening of the old 27" Sony CRT. I left the box in place to be able to use it for storage. Holds a large number of CD's & DVD's along with misc stuff.

There was a gap at the top but I had a piece of the white ceiling fabric and made a spacer that fit above the TV. Looks good. I mounted the TV using a wall mount that extends and swivels for better viewing. The swivel base is mounted to a piece of metal tubing that is attached to the metal frame of the motorhome at the top and to the wood box on the bottom.

One thing I did was put some supports at the bottom and top of the TV to hold it place since it easily swivels I didn't want it swinging out as we were driving down the road. I used screen window tabs that rotate to hold the TV in place, it's easy to secure and unsecure to move it out.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #8
We built a drawer assembly with a matching face so it appears factory.

With the new one wide we shifted it up a bit to allow a hole in faceplate for the dvd player.

Inside the drawer it is split to store dvd

Some photos of prototyping process and finished product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1468590822340.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	133090   Click image for larger version

Name:	1468590878296.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	133091  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1468590918608.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	133092  
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:24 AM   #9
My front tv was in an entertainment center behind the passenger seat at eye level with the couch. Once I removed the old TV I made a cabinet door with some 3/4 in birch plywood stained as close as I could to the cabinets. I used 4 hinges that matched the other doors on the entertainment center. Then I mounted the tv to the door using a flat wall tv mount. I added some shelving inside for storage of items since I figured I removed a 150lb tv and replaced with 45 lbs I have 100 lbs available there.

In the bedroom I did the same thing but used a fully articulated mount so that we can move the tv into a better position to see from the bed.

I have not taken pictures since I did the work.

mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote

ace, replace