Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2006, 06:06 AM   #1

On our son's older MH one of the prongs broke off the 120 shoreline male plug. Can he replace it with a 30 amp plug? He has to use a 30 amp adapter in some campgrounds as they only have 30 and 50 amp connection...no 20 amp. This may be a dumb question, duh? But just to be sure, thought some electrician that would know could answer this question for me. Want my kids to be safe. Thanks.
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2006, 06:06 AM   #2

On our son's older MH one of the prongs broke off the 120 shoreline male plug. Can he replace it with a 30 amp plug? He has to use a 30 amp adapter in some campgrounds as they only have 30 and 50 amp connection...no 20 amp. This may be a dumb question, duh? But just to be sure, thought some electrician that would know could answer this question for me. Want my kids to be safe. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:45 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Larry,
Unless the cable is 10/3 wire size, DO NOT change the end from a 20amp to 30amp. This is a fire hazard. If the cable coming from the MH is 10/3 then that is perfectly safe to change the end to mate to a 30amp female.

I'm a little surprise that National would have a 12/3 cable coming from the motorhome. The smallest I have seen is 10/3. Just remember that the cable from the motorhome that plugs into the CG power outlet should be a minimum of 10/3. If this was changed and a smaller cable was installed then your inviting trouble. Please check and let us know.
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:18 PM   #4

In my opinion (and you know what those are worth!) I would put a high-quality 20 Amp connector back on the cable. Get one of the good ones that screw together and give a good strain relief to the cable. Good Luck
jamorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:24 AM   #5

Renegade & jamorton,
Thanks for the info. Appreciate you taking the time. I went ahead and put on a 20 amp plug and were gonna be happy with it. If need be, we'll just use a 30 amp. adapter which we already have. Thanks again.
Larry
Old 07-21-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Unless the cable is 10/3 wire size, DO NOT change the end from a 20amp to 30amp. This is a fire hazard. If the cable coming from the MH is 10/3 then that is perfectly safe to change the end to mate to a 30amp female. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got to disagree, Jim. It is not a fire hazard to change to a 30A plug, no more than if the wire itself were oversized for the job. When the 20/30A adapter is used, he has exactly the same electrical situation as if he installed a 30A plug. In either case, the power draw is limited by the breaker on the coach end, which presumably is 20A in this case. The only electrical no-no would be to replace the 20A breaker with a 30A breaker without also up-sizing the wiring and plug.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:28 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Well yes and no.
For one thing, you do not put a 30amp plug on cable that is only rated for 20amps, that is a BIG no no. Good way to have a problem. You need to look at the wire size coming from the coach. If it's 12/3 then only a 20amp plug on the end, if it's 10/3 then you could either put a 20amp and use a 30 to 20 adapter or just put a 30amp plug on the end. This is what I was trying to point out.
And yes, you don't replace a 20amp breaker with a 30, bad bad. I have never seen a cable for power input to a coach/TT that was 12/3 other than small popups. Most were 10/3 with 30amp plug and breaker in the panel.
Later Gary.
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote