Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #1

Replacing an Onan Generator Starter motor

Hi, my first somewhat big DIY fix for my MH. I am replacing the starter motor for my Generator. I found a new one for $188.00 as the old one was drawing 350 amps to start it..yikes! (told its cheapest to just replace)

Anyway, I think I found a good deal for the price. Any advice/step by step instructions anyone could help with? Think its just 2 bolts if its like a car but hey..I'm a newby to all of this! Still smiling tho!

Prior: 97 Ford Dutchman (31 Ft, Class-C)
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
BadBoy,
Good for you! If I were you, the day before, I would try to loosen those bolts and if they seem rusted in spray them with WD-40 or a penetrating oil. By the next day you should be able to remove them.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #3

Onan Starter

BB- make sure that all the mounting flanges and electrical connections are clean - the starter grounds through the flange that bolts to the genset/motor flange- so any corrosion here will = resistance - when you first try and start the genset just touch the buton - if everything is ok then it will 'sound' o.k. but if you hear any abnormal sound like grinding then stop and check everything out =- this may include removing the replacement starter to check and see what is wrong-also make sure you fasten the mounting bolts evenly - usually a generator will require 20-30 FT-Lbs for the mounting bolts- I have had some problems with both automotive and generator and small engine starters because the starter drives are manufactured offshore and not machined to North American specifications so the clearances betwen the starter and ring gear/flywheel are not what they are supposed to be-let us know how everything turns out.
RV Mech Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #4

Great advice guys thx. Spraying the bolts right now. Yeah I remember the clearance issues when doing my car..needed to shim it just right. I am hoping that it will be simply remove old and use existing shim to replace with new....but I'm likley dreaming it would be that simple haha!
Thx again

Prior: 97 Ford Dutchman (31 Ft, Class-C)
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote