Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: We want to replace the carpet in front part of our RV with flooring that can be washed. We have th
Carpet replacement. 3 100.00%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2005, 08:59 AM   #1

We want to replace the carpet in front part of our RV with flooring that can be washed. We have the wood look floor in part of the kitchen and it is great. Does anyone have any experience with this task? Hints? Etc.? We full time and it is impossible to keep the carpet clean.
Sissy7378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2005, 08:59 AM   #2

Old 11-08-2005, 11:45 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sissy you have to provide a little more information. Is a slide(s) involved? Is there a dinette or a free standing table? There are many details that will determine the degree of difficulty in replacing carpeting.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #4

We plan to replace all the carpet and existing laminate flooring with a wood (possibly laminate) floor, within a year or so.

I hate the carpet along the stairwell and the floor by my front entry door.

I solved the dirt problem, however, by purchasing one of those plastic desk chair pads that the chair would sit on in an office. It has teeth on the bottom and grips the existing carpet. It sits right up against the stairwell.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Is any of the furniture bolted through the floor? Those might be a headache! Seats that have seat belts will have through-floor bolts, for example.

How much of the "front" are we talking about here? Living area only or will you go up around the driver & co-pilot seats? Is there a doghouse or is it a flat floor?
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:51 AM   #6

There is a slide involved but the carpet it is on will remain as well as where our dinette is located. The carpet lifts up as you move the slide in. There is also a recliner that is attached but can be removed and the new floor fitted around the chair brace. Will put the new floor as you enter but not up front where our seats are located. Thanks for any advice. I wonder if we should try to find a professional to do the job. It is a 2004 model which we bought new. Sissy
Old 11-11-2005, 03:49 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Problem is, most flooring professionals know nothing about RVs and RV professionals know nothing about flooring. But at least one of those two pros would know something about half of what he was doing!

I would think an experienced do-it-yourselfer could handle the job as you have described it.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:18 AM   #8

Actually the job is not as bad as you think......

We have re-done several Airstreams when things are slow at the shop. (Kind of a hobby for one of my business partners) Most of the couches and such are easily removed. Also easy to re-install afterwards. Just takes time and patience.

We have done an old single slide MH as well. I little tougher, but not too bad. If you are handy with a table saw or radial arm saw you will have very little problems.

The MH we did was a Monaco Dynasty (98) that had been in the rental fleet for some time and was looking kind of "Ratty" in the carpet dept. We did all of the MH in a wood laminate. (Except the bedroom, it got new carpet) Used 1\4 round to trim the edges with a transition piece between the carpet in the BR and the rest of the rig. Turned out better than we expected actually. Kind of surprised ourselves......

About a month after we finished it, someone came in and loved the flooring and the "Refresh" we had done on the interior and bought the rig......

When stuff slows down a bit, we got a 98 Dutchstar we want to go through........ But we ain't sellin that old girl when we are through. Over 170,000 miles on her and she STILL drives and runs SWEET! (THe fact it is paid for helps too! )
Old 11-14-2005, 04:14 AM   #9

When my sofa/dinette slide has been in for some time, it leaves depression in the carpet. Does this mean the slide will damage new laminate flooring? Can I cut the laminate to fit around the extended slide or will I need to remove the slide to install the laminate properly?

I've considered using pieces of an under-desk pad on my inside carpeted steps. Doesn't this pose a slippery-when-wet hazard?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:13 AM   #10

We are located at a nice fish camp Lake Marian Paradise in Florida (South of Orlando). A lot of full timers here but some are snowbirds. Yesterday our neighbor told me a guy is coming down right after Thanksgiving that knows all about putting carpet in RVs. Might luck out with some professional help on our replacement. I will keep you posted.