Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #1

Replacing ceramic tile...

Iím in the process of replacing the carpet and ceramic in my mohoh. The slide incorporates the couch and galley. In the galley the flooring is ceramic in which the kitchen cabinetry sits on. Obviously I canít remove the tile from under the cabinets, so what is the best method to cut the ceramic as close as possible to the kitchen cabinets? The toe-kick will be extremely difficult to remove due to the cabinetry design. Iím replacing the ceramic with linoleum. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your advice and assistance.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Steve! We just did this. See post #75. Using an air chisel on the ceramic tile will make the job a LOT easier!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Another flooring question

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #3

You could probably use a oscillating tool Search results for: 'oscillating tool' with a diamond, masonry blade 3-1/2 in. Diamond Grit Multi-Tool Half-Moon Blade For Masonry

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi Steve! We just did this. See post #75. Using an air chisel on the ceramic tile will make the job a LOT easier!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Another flooring question
Thanks Joe!

I reviewed your post...your results are awesome! You are correct...they used really good concrete and glue on these older motorhomes!! The structure of my slide may preclude me from removing the ceramic from under the cabinets. On the couch side, I can see the "fixed" rollers mounted to the subfloor...I can't see the rollers under the cabinets...not sure how they function....I can only assume in the same manner. I do know the ceramic extends to the outside wall. This is my dilemma...not sure how I should pursue??

Thanks
Steve
campersRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
You could probably use a oscillating tool Search results for: 'oscillating tool' with a diamond, masonry blade 3-1/2 in. Diamond Grit Multi-Tool Half-Moon Blade For Masonry

Joel
Thanks! I did purchase the oscillating tool with a masonry blade I've been using to cute a slot in the grout between the tiles...certainly seems to assist in removing the ceramic. I have yet to attempt to actually cut the tile itself. I will certainly give it a try though...I'm too far into this project now. Just have to figure out how to either remove the tile under the cabinets or cut the tile up to them??

Thanks much!
Old 01-18-2015, 11:30 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by campersRus View Post
Thanks Joe!

I reviewed your post...your results are awesome! You are correct...they used really good concrete and glue on these older motorhomes!! The structure of my slide may preclude me from removing the ceramic from under the cabinets. On the couch side, I can see the "fixed" rollers mounted to the subfloor...I can't see the rollers under the cabinets...not sure how they function....I can only assume in the same manner. I do know the ceramic extends to the outside wall. This is my dilemma...not sure how I should pursue??

Thanks
Steve

Steve, I chipped out the ceramic tile under the kitchen cabinets just far enough so it would not show after the new tile was laid. I didn't have any problem with the rollers under there. I did have to go outside under the kitchen slide, pull back the rubber seal, and use a hook to remove the broken pieces of ceramic tile that were under there.

The couch slide on mine raises up as it comes in, totally clearing the tile. I am installing new carpet on the couch side slide, in the cockpit area, and around the bed pedestal.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Steve, I chipped out the ceramic tile under the kitchen cabinets just far enough so it would not show after the new tile was laid. I didn't have any problem with the rollers under there. I did have to go outside under the kitchen slide, pull back the rubber seal, and use a hook to remove the broken pieces of ceramic tile that were under there.

The couch slide on mine raises up as it comes in, totally clearing the tile. I am installing new carpet on the couch side slide, in the cockpit area, and around the bed pedestal.

I suppose that's what I'll have to do as well...chip as much as I can along the cabinetry. I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks Joe for your insight and assistance.

Steve
Old 01-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post

Joel

I tried to cut the tile with one of these and it would have taken half a day to cut one tile! It might cut the grout but not the tile! Gave up on that idea real quick!

Old 01-18-2015, 06:08 PM   #9

Quote:
I tried to cut the tile with one of these and it would have taken half a day to cut one tile! It might cut the grout but not the tile! Gave up on that idea real quick!
It cuts the grout fairly well. Thought I would attempt to score the tile close to the cabinets with it...hoping for a more even break. I'll see how it works??
Old 01-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I've done a lot of tile work on sticks & bricks houses. Right off hand I have no idea of a tool that would reach under the cabinet at make a clean cut far enough in to do any good.

I'd take the advice of MSHappyCamper as he's done this and it seems to have worked out for him.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I've done a lot of tile work on sticks & bricks houses. Right off hand I have no idea of a tool that would reach under the cabinet at make a clean cut far enough in to do any good.

I'd take the advice of MSHappyCamper as he's done this and it seems to have worked out for him.

I didn't try to cut the tile under the cabinets. I drove the chisel under the block of tile and pried up. Sometimes it would break in pieces, and sometimes the entire piece would break loose. That's why you have to pull down the rubber seal outside and drag out the loose pieces!

Old 01-20-2015, 07:47 PM   #12

Quote:
I didn't try to cut the tile under the cabinets. I drove the chisel under the block of tile and pried up. Sometimes it would break in pieces, and sometimes the entire piece would break loose. That's why you have to pull down the rubber seal outside and drag out the loose pieces!

Thanks Joe...this is exactly what I'm going to try. I finally got the seal pulled down enough to see so I think I can do the same as you did.

Appreciate the advice!

Steve