Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Replacing Dometic A/C with Coleman?

Our 10 year old Dometic Duo-Therm 13.5K A/C unit just started to give up the ghost. When running fan-only, it's quiet and fine. As soon as I turn on the A/C ("cool"), it starts banging and carrying on as well as the my electrical meter drops from 120v to near 0v. A shop nearby said that the compressor is going or shot and that replacing the unit is the only option.

I've heard good things about the Coleman Mach 15 and understand that it should be a drop-in to the same 14x14 opening. I then saw threads that the thermostat would need to be changed. Some threads talked about changing the board or something for the rear A/C unit. In our coach, each A/C has its own thermostat so I should be safe to just replace the one, right?

Is there any other reason that I would want to stay with Dometic?
Are the Coleman's really better than the Dometics or is it a wash?

Thanks
rvfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.

Today I think the comparison between the two is a wash and you will only have to replace the one. If you stay with Dometic, you will only have to replace the top unit on the roof. Reuse the ceiling assembly, control box and thermostat is all are working properly.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #3

Just my opinion but suspect you will get a whole new set of issues with a Colman--not better, not worse, just different. If your other unit is also 10 years old, then 2 things: 1--its probably on its last leg too; and 2--even though they are both Dometic, comm protocols and motherboard designs have changed over the years so your 10-year old unit probably wont talk to the new unit without a motherbrd swap-out. PPL RV sales and parts in Houston is a good place to research all this--pretty good prices too. Just get the serial numbers off the two old units, then they can tell you whether the new unit will be compatible.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #4

Thermostat may be married to the unit or generic.

If a dometic thermostat with the phone wire connection and either 4 or 5 button it will not work on the Coleman.
Also check the wiring before doing anything else.

The compressor does not like low voltage and a poor connection will result in low voltage condition.

Check voltage at pedestal when running then if low fire up genny as the pedestal may be bad.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:28 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I neglected to mention in my original post that the front and rear A/C units have their own thermostats. The link below is the same thermostat(s) that I have. Would I be correct in assuming that I could change one without impacting the other. I am looking more closely at the Dometic replacements now. It seems that the Brisk Air II is the new model.

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-31069.../dp/B004MXN71U
rvfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #6

Please contact dometic via their Web page as they seem (in the past) to be very helpfull.

Having the full model numbers allows them to confirm exactly what yiu have to better provide replacements.

There also has been a few not so good posts regarding the brisk units as not being domestic and maybe quality concerns.

The penguins also may have some issues so as always confirm the details.

Another note is newer units have much better operating performance resulting in lesser energy demands.

The newer 15 KBTU units often draw less power than the older 13.5 KBTU units and given it is not that much more cooling every little bit helps.

Consider that option as well.

After you decide the specific units you want post here as many have been down same road and could give their opinion as well....Just in case

Tags
dometic