Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
TEO

A leak has developed in one of the hydraulic lines going to the bedroom slide in my '02 Winnie Journey. I noted in the forum that there have been multiple failures of hydraulic lines, so I wonder if I should have lines made up locally to replece the ones I have now. Also, is this a fairly easy job, remove and replace the hoses or is there a difficult job ahead bleading the air from the system?

Thanks,

paul

FMCA F98905
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
TEO

A leak has developed in one of the hydraulic lines going to the bedroom slide in my '02 Winnie Journey. I noted in the forum that there have been multiple failures of hydraulic lines, so I wonder if I should have lines made up locally to replece the ones I have now. Also, is this a fairly easy job, remove and replace the hoses or is there a difficult job ahead bleading the air from the system?

Thanks,

paul

FMCA F98905
Old 03-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TEO:

Nothing is 'easy' on these rigs, depending on how you describe easy. I replaced the long line coming from my pump to the rear slide and it was a dirty and time consuming job but you can do it. I had a local auto parts store make up the line and it was far superior, IMO, than the OEM HWH lines. On that particular line, there was no need to bleed air after replacing it. All you need to do is run the slide in and out a few times and the air is purged back to the fluid reservoir. I do believe the HWH folks told me that there was a bleed process if you need to change some of the smaller, 1/8" lines that connect the rams to the synchronizing cylinder.

There were some HWH lines that were defective in those years. You need to locate the leaking line/s, note the numbers stamped on them, and call HWH. If the numbers match those that were a known problem, they (HWH) have been known to replace them. Not sure if they will reimburse you for the labor to replace them.

In any case, if you call HWH and ask for Steve, he will be very helpful. FYI, you can access the two lines that go to the main rear slide ram by removing the upper wood panel under your bed (the one just above your breaker panels).
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TEO:

Thanks,

paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul,

Call HWH. They have been providing the parts and several hours of labor toward these repairs if you have one of the known as defective hoses. Do not have a local shop make up new ones from the fittings on the old ones as these fittings were a large part of the problem and will most likely fail again.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
I just had my lines and the ram replaced all paid by HWH. This is the second ram under the bed.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
TEO

Hello All!

Thanks for the information. It turns out that this was the replacement for the original, so HWH was not about to help with the problem. Since the second OEM line failed it seemed to be reasonable to get a good hydraulic line made up locally and install it.

I have to admit that the hardest part was finding which line was leaking. They're all covered with cable sheathing and the fluid was transferred all over the place. It was the hose between the pump and the bedroom extension manifold. Specificly it was the fitting itself.

Running the new hose was a snap and I had my wife hit the "extend" button until I saw fluid. Then I connected it up and the room extension works perfectly.

Paul

FMCA F98905