Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #1

Replacing Interior light bulbs with LEDs ???

We have a 2009 Vista Class A. I'd like to replace my interior incandescent 1156's and 921's with LEDs. We're seniors and need more light than we're getting, so I have been figuring I could get better light and use less electricity this way, but I have no idea what to buy. Whether it's Amazon, Walmart, or Ebay, the choices are bewildering to me. (I hate wasting time and money, too, so that's another reason I'm asking before buying.)

For instance, you can find 1156 replacement LEDs with 12 SMDs, 15, 18, 27!! I'd like better light, but what if 27 SMDs is insane? What if those are just for exterior? And also, then, is 12 SMDs too much also? Anybody who has already done this retrofitting-- I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

Jeff
gallant205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 12:02 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Personally I still like the quality of light from incandescent bulbs... they are just unmatched really and don't mess up ones circadian rythms like LEDs do, even the "warm" LEDs still emit light in the blue waveform. However if you boondock allot on batteries, it does make sense to use LED to prolong battery life. This is if you are referring to INTERIOR lighting.

I've yet to find an LED that even matches the quality of light output from an incandescent and did not start flickering and fail within one year. I replaced all my halogen puck light bulbs with those corn cob led bulbs, after going through 3 different brands and a couple years, they all flicker and fail. None of them surpassed the light from the halogens, however they did not produce the heat that the halogens did, which is a bonus in summer months.

My 120v range hood lights I converted to LEDs which failed within the first year also. I'm just not impressed at all with LED technology. Seems like they all come from the same factory regardless of name printed on them. Many of the SMD's suffer cold solder joints which start to flicker either almost immediately or withing a few months time, which leads to failure of the entire assembly.

If you are stuck on finding LEDs look for ones that are at least marked dimmable and have a voltage range of 11-18vdc so they dont blow on the first house battery charge cycle.

Just my 2 cents FWIW
Old 03-19-2019, 04:47 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I replaced all my incandescent bulbs with LEDs. The LEDs I used are a tiny bit brighter, The color I selected (warm white, 3500k) is identical. AND, they use about 1/3 the power. I've had no problems with these LEDs as far as failures or flickering.

The LEDs I used are 68 SMD for the 1141 bulbs and 42 SMD for the 921 bulbs. Warm white (3000 - 3500 k). I got them on e-bay. There are links in the articles.

Here is an article on the LED bulbs:

LED Conversion – 1999 Southwind 35S

This article I used the LED strips inside a closet:

Closet LED light conversion – 1999 Southwind 35S

And this one I converted my two fluorescent fixtures to LED. The LEDs put out more light than the fluorescent.:

Convert fluorescent fixtures to LED – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would talk with M4Products. They have quality products and lots of knowledge!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #5

Make sure you get quality ones. First set I bought were eBay. They messed with my over the air antenna amp. Weren’t very well filtered.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #6

The amount of light emitted from LEDs is measured in "lumen." The higher the lumen number the brighter the light. Typically, the cost of the bulb goes up as the lumen number output increases.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #7

Changed all of mine to led. For flourscent, I used LE 12V LED Light Strip, Flexible, 300 LEDs SMD 5050, 16.4ft Tape Light

For others, changed the fixture
Lumitronics Designer Double LED Dome Light with 3-Way Switch and Removable Lenses. Interior Replacement 12V Lighting for RVs, Motorhomes, Campers

Acegoo RV Boat Recessed Ceiling Light 4 Pack Super Slim LED Panel Light DC 12V 3W Full Aluminum Downlights, Warm White (Silver)
by acegoo

All ordered from Amazon. In the fluorescents, I used 2 strips of led and an satisfied with the brightness but you could use 3 if you want more light. The dome lights have a 3 way switch so you can use half or whole.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:31 PM   #8

Before my motorhome I had a boat for 10 years in the tropics. We changed all bulbs to LED, which amounted to almost 50 of them. I never had one fail and I never had one Flickr. The light was better although it is whiter. For us old folks it's a better reading light also. Our new motorhome came with LEDs except for about three bulbs. We changed those the first week. You can have about eight LEDs on for the electrical cost of one incandescent light.
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I would talk with M4Products. They have quality products and lots of knowledge!
+1 for M4 products, RV Geeks has some good video to show you what you need to know about the different colors of LED's. The products that M4 offers are good quality at a reasonable price there is also a discount code given by RV Geeks. i did my entire coach inside and out last year and happy with the result, i did the florescent tube lights also. all the bulbs in the storage bays also.

I went with cool white in the storage bays and warm white for most of the other interior lights.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallant205 View Post
We have a 2009 Vista Class A. I'd like to replace my interior incandescent 1156's and 921's with LEDs. We're seniors and need more light than we're getting, so I have been figuring I could get better light and use less electricity this way, but I have no idea what to buy. Whether it's Amazon, Walmart, or Ebay, the choices are bewildering to me. (I hate wasting time and money, too, so that's another reason I'm asking before buying.)

For instance, you can find 1156 replacement LEDs with 12 SMDs, 15, 18, 27!! I'd like better light, but what if 27 SMDs is insane? What if those are just for exterior? And also, then, is 12 SMDs too much also? Anybody who has already done this retrofitting-- I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

Jeff

Try superbrightleds.com I purchased all mine there and you can return them after so many days of trying them. Fortunately I live close to them I could pick them up install different ones try them out during the day and then again at night. First read a little about the different color of light and lumens. I wanted the white light but she didn’t. It is truly going to be a guess for you unless you buy from a place like them and try different ones and return the ones you don’t want. I could help you some if you wanted to PM me and leave your number.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I replaced all my incandescent bulbs with LEDs. The LEDs I used are a tiny bit brighter, The color I selected (warm white, 3500k) is identical.
The LEDs I used are 68 SMD for the 1141 bulbs and 42 SMD for the 921 bulbs. Warm white (3000 - 3500 k). I got them on e-bay. There are links in the articles.

Here is an article on the LED bulbs:

LED Conversion – 1999 Southwind 35S

This article I used the LED strips inside a closet:

Closet LED light conversion – 1999 Southwind 35S

And this one I converted my two fluorescent fixtures to LED. The LEDs put out more light than the fluorescent.:

Convert fluorescent fixtures to LED – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 has it right. The 3000-3500 k match nicely to the warm incandescent color.

Changed out all my lighting in our 2008 Flagstaff 5th and enjoyed more light while boondocking.

Do It!
DbleDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:31 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I really love our LED's. They use approximately 1/10th the power and produce nice warm light where we want it, and great bright white light in the bathroom.
I measured the draw with all the lights I replaced before and after. It dropped from 42.7 amps to 4.6 amps!
The cost was not much because I bought from China on EBay. Only had 2 duds over 2 years now.
I converted our old Airstream as well, and they were completely reliable as well over quite a few years. They are pretty much all made in China, so I was just bypassing the middleman who does nothing but collect the mark-up. It just takes 7 weeks sometimes to get your order.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:39 PM   #13

The best 921 led lights after a few different purchases. 20x Super Bright 921 194 T10 LED Bulb, Pure White 12V 24-SMD Wedge Lamp For Boat RV Trailer Camper Motorhome Ceiling Dome Interior Light (Pack of 20) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0761TSXF4..._8gDKCb8XQPJ1H
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #14

As mentioned, go with the warm white LEDs. The cools we tried were horrible.

If you have floodlight style fixtures, then make sure to get an LED replacement that's housed in a flood light style housing. I tried the multiple LED bayonet bulb and it did not direct the light very well.

Brightness in lumens is what needs to be looked at. Don't go to counting the number of LEDs on a bulb. You can look up the brightness for various 12 volt incandescent bulbs and then look for LED bulbs that are equivalent to or higher in brightness.

Tags
interior, led, light