Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2009, 07:17 PM   #1

replacing inverter, need some help.

My old heart interface inverter/charger does not work, I want to replace it, I have removed it from the coach and have a + a -, from batteries, a bare ground wire and the three wires (black, green, white) that supply110v power from the inverter/charger to the coach, and the remote wire. I have been reading about the newer inverters and they all say that I should also have wires from shore power/ gen. I do not. Also, how would you run a new remote wire for the new inverter/charger, any help would be great.

I think I will use the freedom 458 inverter/ charger as my replacement, either 1500w or 2000w, my old one is a 1800w, thanks, Scott

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What model is the old Heart inverter/charger? I don't see how it can be both an inverter and a charger and not have two separate 120vac lines, one for input to the charger and one for output from the inverter. They should never be one and the same wire.

In any case, your new Freedom 458 WILL definitely require separate AC input and output circuits,

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #3

It's 80-1800-12.

I guess it never charged as it did not have 110v to the inverter, only leaving it.

I think I can run a new 110v wire from my transfer switch over to the new inverter, that will solve that.

What to do about running a new remote wire?

Will there be any trouble using the "charge" on the new inverter, as my old one did not charge, even though it had led's for charge?

Gary, I just noticed you are near Ocala, I am here in Sorrento, near Mt. Dora

Will I overcharge the batts, cause the batts are being charged now through other systems in the coach ? .I. E. engine alt, shore power/gen power.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:49 PM   #4

I also found a Magnatech 12 volt inverter/charger located under the rear bed, it supplys 12v power to about 5 fused curcuits, lights, water pump, 12v tv, and also charges the batts.

So the faulty heart interface must only be an inverter.

Now, how should I hook up the new inverter/charger?

And also, the coach is 50 amp, but there is another 30amp transfer switch under the bed by the magnatech, whats it for?
Old 12-19-2009, 06:55 AM   #5

Just to clarify, the magnatech is a "converter", 110v- 12vdc.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

While it may work ok to have two chargers working on the same battery, I would not do that myself. If you get a Freedom 458, it has a far superior charger than the old Magnetek (assumng the Magnetek is the original) and will charge quickly while causing less battery "boil" from excessive charge rates.

On the other hand, you could save a lot of bucks by buying an inverter-only rather than the Freedom 458, which has a charger and built-in transfer switch.

Yeap, our home base is in the Ocala National Forest, 13 miles east of Ocala and just off SR 40.

I'm guessing the extra 30A xfer switch is related to the inverter. You must not ever allow the inverter and shore power (or generator) to attempt to power the same circuit at the same time, so an auto-transfer switch is often used to prevent that. 30A is the typical size used, since that will handle an inverter up to 3600 watts.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #7

Gary, thanks. Yes the magnatech is the original. What would you reccomend for a new" inverter only" to replace the heart?

What would I do in the future if the old magnatech quits? Is there a suitable replacement for it also?
Old 12-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #8

I did a quick search and cannot find a "hardwired" inverter only, all have outlets built in to the unit itself.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try here...PURE SINE INVERTER: COTEK ST1000-112 1000 WATT 12 VOLT MICROPROCESSOR CONTROLLED PURE SINE INVERTER WIITH 16 AMP TRANSFER SWITCH

8.1 Workhorse w/UltraPower,Taylor 409 plug wires,AC Delco 41-993 Plugs and OEM Engineering Fuel Filter Adaper
stubeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottginfla View Post
Gary, thanks. Yes the magnatech is the original. What would you reccomend for a new" inverter only" to replace the heart?

What would I do in the future if the old magnatech quits? Is there a suitable replacement for it also?
Progressive Dynamics PD-9260. Superb converter/3-stage charger.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #11

Thanks everyone, whatever one I end up using, if it has the charge feature on it, I just won't hook that part up for now.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gee... I too agree the Hart was an inverter, and the Magnetek.. Well...I don't think highly of that name, but it's a converter.. Calling it a battery charger is doing a dis-service to your batteries usually.

I'd go with something like a Prosine 2.0 to replace 'em both

Here is what you do.. Remove the black wire from the breaker that feeds the Magnetek's electronics and tape off the wire. Lable it "Magnetek converter xx amps" (xx is the size of the breaker you disconnect it from) remove the breaker and store it.

Replace the breaker with a 30 amp. Hook wire (At least 10ga) to this (and the neutral and ground busses) and run that down to teh Prosine... The prosine is a top of the line battery charger (One of the ones I classify as "BEST") as well as a very good true sine wave inverter

NOTE: I really like ture sine wave inverters.. Many reasons.

You may be able to get a Heart that is as good as the Prosine, after all Xantrex makes 'em both.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
X2 with Hamguy and the 9260 !!
Old 12-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

You can "hardwire" an inverter that has outlet receptacles on it - just use suitable plug(s) on the end of the wires that distribute the power to the RV and connect them to the outlet. The other end of those wires (e.g. Romex) can feed new or existing outlets. The method of hooking the wiring to the inverter does not matter.

You will probably have only one inverter outlet in use anyway. They are usually 15A outlets and 15A x 120v - 1800 watts, which is nearly everything a 2000W inverter can deliver anyway. So put a 15A plug on the end of some 12 gauge Romex and plug it into the inverter and run that Romex to whatever it is you plan "hardwire" in the RV.

I used a Cobra 2500 inverter-only on a 2002 Dolphin motorhome we had. Wired the output as I described here and connected the other end to a transfer switch which in turn served the breakers that fed nearly all the convenience outlets in the coach. They were all on two breakers anyway and the inverter had 2 15A outlets. The coach already had a good 50A, two-stage converter/charger, so why replace it?