Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #1

REPLACING light bulbs with LEDs???

Has anybody done a full monte, replacing all of their bulbs at once??

If I wanted to replace every interior and exterior bulb on my MH, is there a source that you expert DIYers use? Forum sponsor?

Other than pulling one of each type and trying to match them, is there a cross-reference list that show what LED compares with OEM bulbs?

Are they still so expensive that I should only replace the ones that we use most? Is light output the same...more...less? Can I upgrade to get more light with fewer watts?

I bet there are 100 bulbs in our coach, so what's the fastest, bestest, way to skin that cat?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post

If I wanted to replace every interior and exterior bulb on my MH, is there a source that you expert DIYers use? Forum sponsor?

Other than pulling one of each type and trying to match them, is there a cross-reference list that show what LED compares with OEM bulbs?

Are they still so expensive that I should only replace the ones that we use most? Is light output the same...more...less? Can I upgrade to get more light with fewer watts?

I bet there are 100 bulbs in our coach, so what's the fastest, bestest, way to skin that cat?
There are some cross references, but I find them confusing. I purchased 20 from Hong Kong thru E Bay and they cost loads less than any Camping store or Home Depot does. I got good service and all the LED's work well.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #3

I have used this seller on EBAY ( ledkingdom-us ) and had excellent customer service when I ordered the wrong ones. They have all worked perfect and are shipped from the USA. I did have to rewire some fixtures because LEDs are polarity sensitive.
beengood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Not all LED's are polarity sensitive in actual use. The more advanced ones have a polarity circuit that senses improper polarity and automatically reverses it, make polarity a non-issue to the user. But the less expensive LED's do have this issue.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I've only replace my fluorescent bulbs since these are the ones we use the most. I bought a roll of LED strip lights and the connectors from Ebay.

I pulled out a couple lights at a time to strip out the fluorescent lights and ballast and put in 3 strips of LED. I also added an extra switch so that I can have 1, 2, or 3 strips working at any time. I bought a small round toggle switch on Ebay for this and just drilled a hole near the original switch. While I had the lights out I completely cleaned the fixtures and also used sealing tape in the openings as there were large holes drilled through to airspace that allowed cold/hot air to enter along with dirt.

I think it cost me ~$70 (about 3 years ago) to do all my fluorescent lights and took a day. Prices have dropped.

I have not replace any smaller bulbs as the cost for these are high and we don't use so it is not cost efficient for me to change.

There are lots of posts on changing out to LED lights, do some searches and you should find what you need.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post

We replaced all the interior bulbs in our coach with LED's last fall. As I recall there were about 40 that needed to be replaced since we had a combination of incandescent and LED from the factory.

At first we were going to only replace the ones we used the most. When we started looking at the amperage draw of each bulb we decided to replace them all. As it turned out the ones we used less had a higher amperage draw. So in essence we were drawing as much current with those less used as the ones we use regularly.

We went with the Samsung Elite line "natural" color ones from M4 products. They aren't the least expensive but they are high quality with an excellent warranty.

M4 Products

M4 allows you to open and test 1 of each style ordered. If you don't like them you can return everything including the 1 of each kind you opened. They have a great website that helps you through the process. One page compares the different color ranges (cool white, natural white, and warm white) from the 3 different types available.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for the link to M4 Products. I'll definitely be checking into them.

I am impressed with choices of light colors: cool white, natural white, warm white. I would have to order some to know what I want.

I bought 4 LED bulbs last year at a truck stop. Absolutely hate them. The light is bright, harsh and blue. Now reading the M4 link, I understand what's going on.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #8

I'll add my dos centavos: Make sure you the the correct intensity bulbs for the fixture. I bought a couple for our reading lights and they just were not bright enough to read by. I'll replace them with the correct ones (one of these days)
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LED Bulbs

I ordered 10 LED lamps off of ebay on Friday and they arrived today.

I have a total of 22 bulbs in the motorhome. Not sure if I want to order the same ones yet. Have not installed them to try out.

Hope to get to it this weekend. If they work well and I like the color I will order more.

I do not plan on replacing the bulbs in the basement fixtures. I will save the old blubs and use on the other fixtures.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:09 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RVleds or Superbright LEDs are two good sources, (you can find some SuperBright LED products at Pep Boys now days)

I do not recommend replacing all the lights with LED,, if you replace all the lights you may need to add resistors to your turn signals.

In my case I did NOT replace the FRONT turn/signal parking lamps with LED. (just the rear) and the results were: The flasher still flashes.

Soon, I hope, they will come out with flashers that can operate at LED current levels,, I do not know of Heavy Duty flashers will (They are not all that current senistive). Will have to test some day.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
RVleds or Superbright LEDs are two good sources, (you can find some SuperBright LED products at Pep Boys now days)

I do not recommend replacing all the lights with LED,, if you replace all the lights you may need to add resistors to your turn signals.

In my case I did NOT replace the FRONT turn/signal parking lamps with LED. (just the rear) and the results were: The flasher still flashes.

Soon, I hope, they will come out with flashers that can operate at LED current levels,, I do not know of Heavy Duty flashers will (They are not all that current senistive). Will have to test some day.
I guess I don't see any advantage of replacing any exterior lights with LED's. They are only being used when the motorhome is under it's own power. There is already a large (in our case 175 amp) alternator charging the batteries and providing current for any accessory you would want to power up.

To me the object of replacing incandescents with LED's is to save power when none is available other than the batteries. When under way the alternator is more than capable of providing all the power you would ever want. The difference in the amount of power it needs to generate when switching to LED's isn't going to affect fuel mileage, or make it last any longer.

I can see sometime in the future if there are enough power saving improvements installed there could be an overall power demand reduction. In that case a smaller alternator could replace those currently being used and possibly save some fuel. Until that day comes replacing exterior incandescents with LED's is more cosmetic than functional.

As for longevity we only replaced 2 $.79 bulbs in 12 years and over 100,000 miles on our last motorhome. I don't think there would ever be any payback if that's the normal failure rate.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:04 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Really good "how-to" videos from the rvgeeks.com. Look under the category link and there are several specific to LED conversions.
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put in some super white leds that were way too harsh and recently ordered 10 of the warm whites. Will most likely prefer them.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #14

Thumbs down Why bother?

I am sure many will disagree but the rush to replace all of your interior lights with LED's seems to be a case of searching for a solution for which there is no known problem (the government does this a lot).

We spend more than half of our RV time off the grid, have two group 27's for a house bank and never run out of power. Can't remember the last time there were more than 2 or three lights lit inside the coach at the same time. Incandescent bulbs just don't draw all that much, now the blower on the furnace is another story....

There are only about 3 or 4 hours in 24 that the lights are even on in our coach. We spend about 13 hours a day outside (in the daylight), generally retiring inside around 8. An hour or two of reading, watching a movie whatever and then it is lights out for the night. Switching them all out will give you less light and a lot less money left in your wallet only to extend your house bank by about a minute and a half.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote